No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would feel comfortable with you atop a scissor lift.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Hateful and petty. Save some of that prickery, Kasparov, for the off-chance that Ohio State actually makes the CFP ahead of aTm and plays UAT.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• JF and Ohio State would be our Kryptonite. I can see us losing a 47-41 game. Beating Auburn and LSU this year will have to suffice.
        "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• You must be factoring in roughly 5 pick-6s from Mac.

Comment

• There is precedence for him losing games with pick-sixes.

Comment

• Precedents. As your counsel of record, I advise you quickly edit before Strangelove delivers a torrent of upbraidery.

Comment

• If you are talking about pure "ease of winning", then I think that you go with three things:
                1. Gameday experience/atmosphere on campus
                2. Access to recruiting base, versus in-state competitors for that talent
                3. Money/financial support

IMHO there are about five programs that enthusiastically check all three of those boxes -- UF, FSU, LSU, OSU, and Texas. Michigan and Tennessee are badly lacking #2 now and I think that's going to cause prolonged problems for us long term.

I don't know the degree to which USC checks that last box. The PAC-12 doesn't produce nearly as much TV revenue as the B1G and the SEC, and I don't think of it as the type of place where upper middle class folks pay thousands of dollars for the privilege of parking their RV outside the stadium each year, ala an SEC program.
                Last edited by Hannibal; December 2, 2020, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• If you're talking about plum coaching jobs, I'd add USC to the list. Surrounded by talent, blue blood, and not a single other PAC 12 school has been mentioned in any of this discussion.

Comment

• USC is a sleeping giant. Dragged down by misses at head coach since Pete left.
                    Kiffin too immature at the time. Sark, personal problems obviously. Clay Helton is so mediocre.
                    Once USC finds the right HC, they will be back at it. I think college football is more entertaining when USC is a factor... mid 2000s was awesome.

Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                    Speaking of Covid and football, Herbstreit has issued a video apology for suggesting that M would duck Ohio State with a Covid excuse. Heh.
                    My mistake. Didn't see someone posted this. Give AlabamaAlum credit for this comment.
                    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• No need for that, Cody. Attribution of posting some Herbie idiocy is completely not necessary.

Comment

• USC is a sleeping giant. Dragged down by misses at head coach since Pete left.
                        This is true. They are a CFB juggernaut that is sitting in neutral right now. Put the right guy at HC (Meyer?) and it will soar again.

"What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• USC had one elite coach sandwiched between a few layers of crap both before and after he showed up. I really don't think that's a Top 5 job. Definitely a good enough job to Win Big Time with the right coach, but it has to be an elite guy.

Comment

• The Curse of the Bush Push...
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• At least the Bush Push did some good. It eliminated the "aiding the runner" call.
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Without going back into antiquity with Howard Jones, USC had John McKay for 16 years then 10 years of mediocrity until John Robinson was hired. He coached for 12 years then they had 3 years of mediocrity until Pete Carroll was hired. He coached for 9 years and they’ve had 11 years of mediocrity since he left.

Even with those dry spells, they are still top 10 in win% and total wins as well as top 10 at #1 in the polls.

If the AD gets a clue and makes a decent hire, they’ll be back in it. So, with that in mind, I hope Clay Helton gets an extension. No good comes from having a good Pac-12.

Comment

Working...
                                X