No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things have gotten pretty bad in Ohio when their biggest victory of the season was their quarterback refusing to shake hands with Desmond Howard at the Heisman ceremony.

Oh well. Desmond actually HAS a Heisman, and CJ is 0-2 vs Michigan. I'm sure Desmond is just fine with the way things are.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Didn’t Desmond throw some kinda OSU smack at the Heisman ceremony last year?

Either way, both years is a “much ado” situation imo.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• ^

Yeah, something about his OL not blocking Hutchinson. I'd call the exchanges a draw, which is better than CJ is on the field vs M.

Comment

• Yeah. It’s petty high school gamesmanship both years.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• All of what has been said is true...Desmond is still a douchebag.
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Mike Leach had some sort of medical emergency earlier today. They transported him all the way to Jackson, which makes it sound serious

Comment

• Starkville’s medical “center” is a combo Jiffy Lube and chainsaw repair. The only surprise to me was that they didn’t carry him to DCH Regional in Tuscaloosa. A 600-bed true medical center. It’s closer than Jackson and that’s where most of the serious emergencies from that area go.

Comment

• Twitter account that posted this is a rando but Steve Robertson is one of the guys who runs the Miss State 247 site. There’s been next to no detail about what happened on official university accounts. But the rumor mill is saying it’s life threatening and not looking good

Comment

• A quick web search didn't turn up any thing more detailed on Leach's condition. A beat writer said the condition was "serious." A statement released by Mississippi State noted the "seriousness" of the situation but said the school would make no further comment on Leach's medical status. They did say, DC Zach Arnett will "be in charge" of the football team as it prepares for their bowl game.

Some informed speculation: In my experience in GA, and I assume Mississippi is similar, there's a single clearing house for emergency transport by land or air ambulance. The medical condition is usually, but not always, the determining factor for land v. air ambulance. Sometimes it is simply a matter of availability and distance. There's also coordination between ERs statewide with some ERs having capabilities that others don't have. There will be discussions between ER docs who might get involved about where the patient should go based on his status and availability of specialty care, eg. cardio and neuro. After that, the transportation mode will be selected and an agency with the appropriate transport wili be directed to pick-up and transport the patient to the receiving care facility.

Both cardiac and neurologic events can have highly time sensitive needs with neuro events having well defined time criteria from time of entry to an ER to diagnosis and implementation of care. Cardiac events are equally structured but from my experience its not difficult to stabilize a cardiac patient for follow-on care. If it's a massive "heart attack" implying blood flow to the heart muscle is seriously impaired, typical Advanced Cardiac Life Support isn't going to save the patient and he'll probably code in the ER. Apparently from DSL's post he's still alive ("fighting")

Anyway, stabilizing most CVAs (heart attacks) is routine care for ER docs. A neurologic event is another story. Time = (brain) tissue. There are strict limits on how long it's been from symptom onset (e.g., the patient collapsed or had obvious motor defects - paralysis of a limb or speech impairment) to use of anticoagulants for embolic strokes (a blood clot stops flow of blood to a region of the brain). DOcs can do more damage to a embolic stroke patient if anticoagulants are administered too late in the course of the event.

My informed guess is that he had a neuro event, may have gone to the closest ER, had an MRI reveling a brain vessel clot but the ER didn't have a neurologist on call and/or the capacity to administer anticoagulants. The decision was made to transport him to a facility that had that capability. Time was a factor so, the air ambulance was mobilized.

There was one statement I read that "Mike will have a long road to recovery." That suggests someone knew he had a stroke. Of course that could apply to a major cardiac event as well but putting 2 and 2 together and deciding that equals 4, my guess is that he had an embolic stroke.
                    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; December 11, 2022, 10:26 PM.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Tl;Dr Abridged version:

Buchanan is guessing stroke.

I'm not a doctor and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but my first guess was stroke as well.

It just took me a lot fewer words to say it.
                      I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Terrible news. Leach is one of a kind.

Comment

• tPA (clot buster drug) could have been given at Golden Triangle (local hospital). Perhaps it was and he was transported for additional care. All possible.

A more complicated course would be a hemorrhagic vs an embolic, but regardless of which, if surgery were required, you would not want it at Golden.

(and Jeff a CVA is a stroke - I know you know this but you have a penchant for accuracy in your epistles).

Just too many unknowns. It could be him cleaning his gutters of leaves and falling off a ladder and snapping his neck. Stroke is certainly possible but I don’t know that I would necessarily jump to it without some more info.​

Comment

• But if it is a bad watershed CVA, it will be hard for him to coach again.

Comment

• Massive heart attack. Damn

​​​​​​https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...h/69720334007/

​​​​​​Mississippi State football coach Mike Leach had a massive heart attack on Sunday in Starkville and was transferred to University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, where he is still being cared for on Monday.

According to multiple sources, Leach, 61, collapsed at his home in Starkville, but did not receive medical attention for between 10 to 15 minutes. EMTs used a defibrillator machine and delivered multiple shocks to restore normal heart rhythm.

After he was stabilized at Oktibbeha County Hospital, he was transported by helicopter to UMMC.

Sources said two of four his children are already in Jackson with the other two en route.

It appears, according to sources, that Leach may have suffered seizures with the possibility of brain damage. Sources said the situation is dire, and MSU said Leach was in "critical condition" in a statement Monday.

“Mississippi State University head football coach Mike Leach remains in critical condition at the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson," the statement read. "Mike’s family is with him and appreciates the overwhelming expressions of love and support for the coach, but also requests that their family’s privacy be respected at this time.

"That is the extent of information that MSU has available regarding Coach Leach's condition. And the university will make no other comment at this time."
                              Leach is in his third season with the Bulldogs and guided Mississippi State to a 24-22 victory over Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl on Nov. 24. He is 19-17 in three seasons with the Bulldogs.

Defensive coordinator Zach Arnett is "in charge of the MSU football team" until Leach's return, school president Mark E. Keenum and interim athletic director Bracky Brett said.

After the regular season, Leach told ESPN he had battled pneumonia throughout the season but was feeling better.

Sid Salter, chief communication officer at Mississippi State, told WLBT that any rumors suggesting the death of Leach "should be ignored."

"Coach Leach is a fighter, and he is battling," Salter told the TV station.
                              The Bulldogs (8-4, 4-4 SEC) will face Illinois (8-4, 5-4 Big 10) in the ReliaQuest Bowl on Jan. 2 (11 a.m., ESPN) in Tampa, Florida.

Prior to coming to Mississippi State, Leach was the head coach at Washington State from 2012 to 2019. He compiled a 55-47 record in Pullman. The Cougars went 6-7 in 2019 after an 11-2 season in 2018, which marked the most wins in program history in former Brandon High School standout Gardner Minshew was his quarterback.

Leach replaced Joe Moorhead, who was fired after two seasons in Starkville. Moorhead went 14-12 at Mississippi State.

Leach has an overall record of 158-107 in head coaching stops at MSU, Texas Tech and Washington State. Leach brought Texas Tech and Washington State programs to unprecedented heights. He also led Tech to its only 11-win season in program history in 2008.

Well known for his air-raid offensive system, Leach has coached some of the best offenses in college football over the last two decades. His quarterback in 2019 at Washington State, Anthony Gordon, led the country in passing yards per game.

Gordon threw for 429.2 yards per game. The second man on that list was 2019 Heisman Trophy winner Joe Burrow, who passed for 372 yards per game. Gordon also tossed 48 touchdown passes this season, second behind only Burrow's 55.

Leach is known for his comedic antics in press conferences, such as discussing which Pac 12 mascot would win in a melee. He's one of the most recognizable faces and voices in college football.

Leach was controversially fired from Texas Tech for legal cause in 2009 for an incident involving a player who sustained a concussion on Dec. 16 of that year. The player was Adam James, son of former SMU standout running back Craig James.

According to USA Today Sports, the elder James told then-Texas Tech chancellor Kent Hance in an e-mail that his son was punished by Leach for sustaining the injury and that he was locked in a closet for hours while the rest of the team carried on with daily routines in preparation for the Alamo Bowl, which was to be played two weeks later.

Leach adamantly denied the allegations, but he was suspended by the university on Dec. 28. He was fired on Dec. 30.

Leach's first public comments after his termination came in an interview with the New York Times that was released on Jan. 1, 2010. In the interview, Leach denied that he had mistreated James. He said he ordered James to be taken "out of the light."
                              I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Wow, I hate that. Being down 10-15 minutes before getting care is ominous unless family did CPR. I wish him the best.

A big CVA or a big MI seemed the most likely. Hate it was so severe.

Comment

Working...
                                X