Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    AA- So you believe the South's regional identity is no stronger than anywhere else in America?
    I guess. I really have no idea. I can't make informed commentary on areas that I do not liive in. I do know it is NOT a topic of conversation here. At all.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
      AA- So you believe the South's regional identity is no stronger than anywhere else in America?
      Perhaps its changed, since its been 15 years since I lived there. But the south very much had a regional identity then. I lived in Columbia SC for 6 years and in Memphis TN for 3 years. The identity with the 'Old South' was stronger in South Carolina, but present in Memphis as well. When my wife and I moved down there, it was very surprising the strength of the 'southern' identity. We went from being 'damn Yankees' to just Yankees in about 6 years. I heard constantly about the differences between the Southerners and the North. The funny thing - the 'North' has no such self identity. Its more about the 'Midwest, New England, East Coast, etc.' but somehow the people down south thought it did.

Comment

• The Medium and growing (formerly Big) Ten

DSL... I travel for a living. The south has an identity... But so do people from Texas, New England, NY city and California. The rest of the country, IMO, has less. While cal and Texas are states, they are just so massive they have a regional perspective. State pride is everywhere, IMO, as well..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Last edited by entropy; January 2, 2016, 04:28 PM.
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• If force ranked... South, Texas, NE, NY, Cal... IMO. Arguments could be made. Texans love Texas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I've lived here my whole life except for summers in Scotland growing up. I have never seen much of it.

I think a lot of it is just perception.
            "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
              I've lived here my whole life except for summers in Scotland growing up. I have never seen much of it.

I think a lot of it is just perception.
              I'd say regional identity can be perceived more easily by those outside the area. To those that grew up with that shared identity, it just feels 'normal'. When you come from the outside, the differences are more apparent.

Comment

• I would ask would your tangible, measurable evidence is. Absent that, it is less actuality and more perception?

Regardless, I have grown tired of the subject, baseless personal perception of the beholder, or not.
                Last edited by AlabamAlum; January 2, 2016, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• Well as for me, I'm American by birth and Northern by grace of God.

Comment

• I'm American by birth and Michigander by the grace of God. Having traveled extensively for work over the last 29 years, I do have a regional bias (extends to the upper midwest). The work ethic, the beauty of its outdoors, the community attitude, the four seasons, and it's general laid back serenity make the midwest hard to beat.

Note: Kentucky's upper peninsula is the northern most extension of the south and is in no way, shape or form anything less than a dry run of Purgatory for the afterlife.
                    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Hackenblergh has declared for the draft.

Comment

• He'll definitely struggle, but he wasn't getting any better at Pedophile State.

Notice how he thanks Bill O'Brien but leaves out James Franklin.

Last edited by Rocky Bleier; January 3, 2016, 10:47 AM.
                        I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Posted before but since next year is the first with 9 conf games, here's who everyone plays from the opposite division. The crossovers contain far more decent games than we saw the past 2 years.

Indiana: Nebraska, @ Northwestern, Purdue
                          Maryland: Purdue, Minnesota, @ Nebraska
                          Michigan: Wisconsin, Illinois, @ Iowa
                          Michigan State: Wisconsin, Northwestern, @ Illinois
                          Ohio State: @ Wisconsin, Northwestern, Nebraska
                          Penn State: Minnesota, @ Purdue, Iowa
                          Rutgers: Iowa, Illinois, @ Minnesota

Illinois:
                          @ Rutgers, @ Michigan, Michigan State
                          Iowa: @ Rutgers, @ Penn State, Michigan
                          Minnesota: @ Penn State, @ Maryland, Rutgers
                          Nebraska: @ Indiana, @ Ohio State, Maryland
                          Northwestern: @ Michigan State, Indiana, @ Ohio State
                          Purdue: @ Maryland, Penn State, @ Indiana
                          Wisconsin: @ Michigan State, @ Michigan, Ohio State

Comment

• And here is everyone's non-conference schedule, ranked by toughness (IMO only, naturally)

Michigan State: Furman, @ Notre Dame, BYU

Ohio State: Bowling Green, Tulsa, @ Oklahoma

Nebraska: Fresno State, Wyoming, Oregon

Wisconsin: LSU (Green Bay), Akron, Georgia State

Penn State: Kent State, @ Pittsburgh, Temple

Illinois: Murray State, North Carolina, Western Michigan

Rutgers: @ Washington, Howard, New Mexico

Northwestern: Western Michigan, Illinois State, Duke

Michigan: Hawaii, Central Florida, Colorado

Iowa: Miami-OH, Iowa State, North Dakota State

Minnesota: Oregon State, Indiana State, Colorado State

Purdue: Eastern Kentucky, Cincinnati, Nevada

Indiana: @ Florida International, Ball State, Wake Forest

Maryland: Howard, @ Florida International, @ Central Florida

Comment

• This is of the seasons M's schedule was hurt by ND leaving the schedule without much notice. In '17 Michigan scheduled Florida at a neutral site (in Dallas).

Comment

• Also hurt by Central Florida inexplicably going to from one of the best G5 teams to absolute trash in 1 year

Comment

Working...
                                X