• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6-7 highly ranked Ole Miss transfers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Atlanta, GA

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
      Now that I think we are seeing what Harbaugh wants to do with his QBs, why Pep Hamilton was brought in for his WCO knowledge and to coach Speight up on that approach, I can see what he was looking for in O'Korn (an option guy). Turns out O'Korn didn't have it ...... he obviously thinks Patterson does. I don't think you can turn a guy like Patterson into a WCO guy; the option game is in his muscle memory and brain right now. Besides, he's got Peters going down that road.
      This is my question after having watched Patterson on film. He doesn't look like a typical Harbaugh QB. Will a change of the offense be required for him? What do you do if he suffers a serious injury? Does this potential move, and the current crop of QB recruits signal a change in Harbaugh's offense?
      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by whodean View Post
        6-7 highly ranked Ole Miss transfers?
        Big change in weather and culture. Talent may be right - mercenaries...

Comment

• Rocky ...... first, I don't think M is going to get nor do they want all of those transfers. There is talk of Shea Patterson and WR Van Jefferson being probable - both are visiting this weekend. M has need for both. M also has need for an OT. There are a few targets that I've heard mentioned who would be transfers from programs undergoing coaching changes. M can be selective here and will be.

M is going to have 20-22 spots in the 2016 Class and if my numbers are correct, this will bring M up to 85 scholarships. The implication is that the limiting factor for transfers is going to be available scholarships.

Second ...... I've mentioned this before but I see M's offense as not so much changing as it might be expanding much like Saban did at Alabama bringing Jalen Hurts up to a starting role. My view is that Harbaugh may not be looking for a Hurts or Clemson's Kelley Bryant type dual threat QB. JH runs a pro-style, power run offense using a drop back, pocket passer. There's a difference between passing schemes though and as I posted above, Peters and Patterson are QBs each best suited for one type.

None of the QBs on M's roster are dual threat guys like Hurts or Bryant or osu QBs Haskens or Martell. So, we won't see M running ufm's or Sweeney's offenses if that's what your asking. Saban still runs power. That O is closer to M's in style than osu's or Clemson's ..... the difference is that Hurts is a true run threat and Saban has incorporated that threat into his fundamental pro-style power O.

Harbaugh's wrinkles on O involve pre-snap formations and motion designed to take a defenses keys in the ground game and manipulate them. I see what I think was going on in 2017 with JH's QBs was a pathway to doing the same kind of things in the passing game. He brought O'Korn in as a means of expanding the play book. I see his interest in Patterson the same way.

Does this mean a two QB system? I don't think so. What I think it means is that Peters and Patterson will be different QBs running different passing schemes. The QB that runs his scheme the best is going to start.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• If the Patterson era would be yet another experience of watching a guy throw into double coverage instead of throwing to a wide open Zack Gentry because he is the wrong mental fit for the offense, then I'm not interested.

Comment

• Wonder how many of these 6 to 7 Ole Miss players back off once they find out the academic requirements...
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• In order of desirability:

1. Little
                2. Anderson
                3. Patterson
                4. The other OT

Comment

• Not sure what the thinking is if you look at the latest offers.

Kevin Doyle and Joe Milton are pro - style.

These two offers are more dual threats.

Taison Phommachanh is a 6-3, 227-pound Dual-Threat Quarterback from Bridgeport, CT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                    If the Patterson era would be yet another experience of watching a guy throw into double coverage instead of throwing to a wide open Zack Gentry because he is the wrong mental fit for the offense, then I'm not interested.
                    Well, he sure did that v. Cal in the video. Why? The center/RG probably screwed up leaving a LB as a free rusher headed straight for Patterson's grill. So, I don't care who is back there at QB. Fix the OL issues. I think that is happening.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Patterson
                      Jefferson
                      Anderson

Comment

• Was that video supposed to make me want this kid? I suppose if you squint you can see a little homeless man's Baker Mayfield in there. Granted, that offense was even more brutal to watch than your typical M game this year.

Much rather have the OT and the S and roll with Peters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mainevent View Post
                          Was that video supposed to make me want this kid? I suppose if you squint you can see a little homeless man's Baker Mayfield in there. Granted, that offense was even more brutal to watch than your typical M game this year.

Much rather have the OT and the S and roll with Peters.
                          No, it was to show Shea Patterson is not superman that is going to be a guarantee to take M to the CFP. He's good, no question and that comes from people that have seen him play more than once. The hype has gotten a little out of hand though - not so much here but elsewhere. I think the video shows that he's got a nice touch on the long ball (when his receivers don't drop the ball).

I also noticed, unlike both Peters and O'Korn, less with Speight, he puts the ball right where it is supposed to be on fades, slants, RB check downs (the two screens on the video were blown up by Cal) ..... in stride where big plays or lots of YAK result. We rarely saw that from Peters. O'Korn wasn't even close. Sample size too small on Speight.

Obvioulsy, Harbaugh sees potential but he saw that in O'Korn too and we know how that turned out.

Comment

• If you think the sample size was too small for Speight you can't be that conclusive on Peters either. But I agree that his ability to hit them in stride is in question. He threw catchable balls but not many that were right on target.

Comment

• Well, here's a hype-video of Van Jefferson. He's a class of 2015 recruit and played as a Freshman so, he's already eligible to play right away with a transfer. M offered him way back when. The guy is smooth ..... not as big as Julio Jones was at this stage but when you look at how he positions his body to catch the ball it reminds of how dominating a receiver Jones was when he played for Alabama ...... catches everything and never mind in this video Patterson is throwing to him rather nicely. Getting this pair is a rare recruiting coup if JH pulls it off. (I can't embed this video but the link should work - just scroll down.)

This should make the Internet fun for a minute pic.twitter.com/YmCdTMnQm5 — Chase Parham (@RivalsChase) December 5, 2017 Shea Patterson and friends watch. It's happening? I mean. Can't throw a rock without hitting someone who says SOURCES are telling him that Shea Patterson is a lock for Michigan and possibly as soon as this weekend. Sam Webb's put in a crystal ball, which he hastens to say is not a Gut Feeling, and here's the Blade's Michigan beat writer: Sources: Michigan is the front-runner to land Shea Patterson, and the Ole Miss QB expects to be eligible to play immediately. — Kyle Rowland (@KyleRowland) December 6, 2017 It's happening. Probably also happening: Van Jefferson and Deontay Anderson. Both guys are coming up this weekend. Highlights of Patterson throwing to Jefferson in 2016, when Jefferson was a redshirt freshman: Enjoy @VanJefferson12's freshman highlights from last year. Love the way this guy plays. #12Days pic.twitter.com/FVWhGCK6vO — Ole Miss Ink (@OleMissInk) August 21, 2017 He had 49 catches for 543 yards and was on pace to best that as a sophomore when he dislocated his elbow before the Texas A&M game. That is likely it despite some overheated reports that up to seven Ole Miss players are interested in Michigan. Taking the three guys above already stretches Michigan's scholarships pretty thin. Anyone who doesn't play tackle is in tough for playing time, and per Rashan Gary's mom Greg Little isn't interested. Gary and Little became friends over the course of their recruitment so that's as good a source as any. The other guys mentioned haven't set visits and it's unclear that Michigan would be interested in them. Why wasn't it Cracker Barrel though? For some reason, Harbaugh flying down to see guys he might have on his football team caused the internet to blow up. Harbaugh claps back at Mark Dantonio? Go crazy, guys. Harbaugh does a thing literally all football coaches do dozens of times a year with high school players? Maybe let that one slide. What do you say, internet? Actually, it's very cool and good that Ole Miss got in trouble for loaner cars but a multi-millionaire can fly a private jet into Oxford to recruit players away from the team. Very cool. Very good. https://t.co/YS4mD9r79b — Red Cup Cooperation (@RedCupRebellion) December 5, 2017 Ah, still internet I see. A fairly good defense. Michigan lands four guys in the PFF All Big Ten defense, and three of them return: The 2017 PFF All-B1G First Team Defense pic.twitter.com/L4XCrJ11TY — PFF College Football (@PFF_College) December 5, 2017 Two more guys couldn't have been far off that list given this stat: Lowest passer rating when targeted among B1G CBs? How about Michigan's duo? pic.twitter.com/kBJsmwXOIN — PFF College Football (@PFF_College) November 30, 2017 Personally, I'd take the CBs who whooped up on Simmie Cobbs over the one who got whooped until he got a safety bracket, but Michigan's guys were probably hurt by a lack of volume. Add in Rashan Gary to the five returning guys in the above tweets and you've got quite a platform to build on. Missed tackles: nah. Josh Liskiewitz, one of PFF's Big Ten evaluators, was grilled by Iowa fans because Josey Jewell was omitted from the team above. This spawned an interesting twitter thread in which Liskiewitz defended himself with various stats he'd compiled. The most interesting from a Michigan fan's perspective: [he == Jewell, FWIW] This is true to an extent, but among #B1G LBs he ranked 38th in tackling efficiency, which takes into account misses per attempt. By comparison, #Boilermakers LB Ja'Whuan Bentley had more total tackles than Jewell and half the MTs. Devin Bush missed just 3 total. — Josh Liskiewitz (@PFF_Josh) December 6, 2017 Jewell had an 86 grade—which would have made him first team All-SEC or All-Pac12, but finished 9th(!) in the Big Ten. We assume that Tegray Scales, Jason Cabinda, and Ryan Connelly are three of the five guys in front of Jewell, FWIW. Peters cleared; Black a maybe. Brandon Peters is good to go for bowl practices and the game, per Harbaugh. I assert that he will start. Yes, I assert that. Here's a randomly depressing stat! Prior to the injury, Peters was 37 of 64 for 486 yards passing in five games, including three starts. He's thrown a team-high four touchdowns, and no interceptions. Sweet fancy Moses. In other bowl injury news, Tarik Black is back in practice and could play in the bowl game. Harbaugh says he's "leaning towards not doing it," and, I mean... don't. Michigan's in a good spot in the bowl game without him and a potential fifth year is far more valuable than whatever marginal bonus chance at a bowl win he provides. Good luck, whoever you are. South Carolina has axed their offensive coordinator. Er, their co-offensive coordinator Kurt Roper. The other guy, Bryan McClendon, is at least temporarily the only cook in the Gamecock kitchen. He is 33 years old and facing down Don Brown with one of the worst offenses in the country. Good luck with that, sir. FALSE. I love Harbaugh but this is a bad take he should feel bad about: "My reaction is that there should be more than four teams in the playoffs," Harbaugh told reporters. "Again, I want to reiterate: 8 teams, 12 teams, 16 teams. Sixteen would be ideal in the playoffs." For one, a team that reached the finals is playing 17 games. For two, the urgency of the regular season is obliterated if last year's Michigan team finishes their season they way they did and still gets in. Add one fan. ESPN's Sarah Spain has been on a journey across college football to find a team to root for, and she stopped by the MGoTailgate before the OSU game last week: Saturday morning I headed out to meet one of my hosts for the day, Gordie Fall (named in honor of Gordie Howe), at the famous MGoBus. The tailgate featured craft beer from Wolverine State Brewing Company, loads of breakfast food and, of course, the maize and blue MGoBus owned by Matt and Sara Demorest. While I was there, I learned more about life on campus and the UM scene with Brian Cook and Seth Fisher, of popular Michigan sports site MGoBlog.com. I also met former Wolverines running back Vincent Smith (you may remember him from this), who's now running community gardens in Flint, Michigan, and his hometown of Pahokee, Florida, to increase access to healthy foods, reduce juvenile crime and use gardening-based intervention to curtail violence. Very cool. Adam was also there! Adam doesn't talk much. Thanks to everyone else's contributions but certainly not ours, Michigan was the pick. Welcome, Sarah. Prepare to be called a Walmart Wolverine despite going to Cornell. Etc.: More on Dave Brandon The Program's first press conference with chief gobbledygook purveyor Herm Edwards. A timeline of Jimbo Fisher's unprecedented move. John Beilein gets shots up. Chris Collins tells a bald-faced lie in a postgame press conference. It remains impressive how many NU internet people openly loathe the guy who got them their first NCAA tourney bid.
                              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; December 6, 2017, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• Patterson = #1 target. M needs to hit on a QB one of these times.
                                With that said, is it even a guarantee Patterson is the starter if he transfers here? Going from a spread to pro style offense is a big change. Taking snaps under center, play action, and throwing your receiver open. Unless M is willing to change it up... they hardly did with O’Korn in there. O’Korn, while much less talented, was perhaps best suited for a spread type offense like Houston. M stuck to pro style with O’Korn.
                                Russell Wilson had pro style at NC St, transferred to pro style Wisconsin.
                                Stidham had spread at Baylor, transferred to spread at Auburn.

Would like Patterson... you take a chance on him... just not sold he is the savior yet. The potential QB battle between Peters, McCaffrey, and Patterson > Speight, O’Korn, and Peters.
                                Last edited by Cody_Russell; December 6, 2017, 07:50 PM. Reason: Spelling error ... Auburn, not Baylor
                                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Working...
                                X