Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoke would have been aware of Patterson but not fully aware.

Comment

• Harbaugh's roster talent was concentrated in a huge junior class when he arrived, and his initial class was very unimpressive. He has suffered from an inability to plug in a highly efficient QB while he waits for the young ones to mature, and, of equal importance, a failure to recruit the OT position. I'm just going to consider last season as his first and see how he builds from here. The fact that he's pursuing these Ole Miss players shows that he's still trying to plug roster holes.
      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• ...... the on-field performance in his 3y as HC at Michigan has, IMO, been poor. M wins games against weaker competition, struggles with well prepared teams of lesser talent, hasn't won a game yet v. a top 10 team and has one win, ONE, v. MSU/osu combined.

Personally I think that sucks and doesn't meet my expectations.

I do think he's been victimized (you may find that term inappropriate - tough shit) by poor OL and QB play. It's hard to put a finger on why. Maybe all those 2* and 3* Hoke saddled the program with contributes; maybe Frey, Drevno and Pep Hamilton and the crazy play calling arrangement they have sucks.

So, there's been a bunch of feelings ball comments at the M web sites I follow about JH's demeanor of late. He's got this sort-pf crazy exuberance that characterized him before he realized his football team, in particular the offense, isn't all that good. He was a sour-puss after the PSU ass-railing and downright grumpy and non-communicative after the osu loss.

I think the potential for the Patterson/Jefferson combo transfer has him looking up. It should.
        Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          You might be right! It's weird that 3 seasons in and Harbaugh is still kind of an unknown quantity as far as the product on the field.
          Known* quantity.
          Beat the bad teams.
          Lose to the good teams.

EDIT: yeah, what Jeff said ^^^
          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Hey, if you can let 4-5 fringe upper-classmen go via transfers etc. and replace then with these Ole Miss kids who have a couple of years of experience and were all 4-5 star recruits...win/win and maybe doesn't hurt the traditional recruiting class.
            Atlanta, GA

Comment

• I hate repeating myself ...... M is is probably getting THREE guys from Ole Miss. If there are 7 guys wanting to transfer, too bad, there's no room.

Those three are going to be Patterson, Jefferson and Anderson.

Brain has a good break down of how the puzzle pieces fit together and why there are going to be only THREE transfers ...... unless the 4th is OT Little and that, reportedly isn't going to happen .... the Rashan Gary family is friends with the Little family .... Mom Gary has told those asking, "Little isn't interested." pretty good source.

Previously: offense. The Ole Miss Situation Van Jefferson comin' on up? [Bryan Fuller] No post that touches on recruiting at the moment can style itself complete without mentioning the likely transfer of three Ole Miss players. While Shea Patterson and Van Jefferson are offensive players, they take up scholarships. Deontay Anderson is a safety who will (probably) be a redshirt sophomore next year, which puts him in the same class as J'Marick "Ol' Woods" Woods and Jaylen Kelly-Powell. At this moment it seems likely that Michigan will get those three players, and only those three players. Rivals's assertions that "up to seven" Rebels could end up at Michigan might be technically true, but one glance at the roster should be sufficient evidence to discount a mass transfer of that magnitude. Unless your name is Greg Little, Michigan's need to have a 2018 recruiting class all but shuts the door. If Michigan does lock down the three names above that takes this class from 20-22 to 17-19 without additional attrition; that is certainly a possibility with so many borderline fifth-years. It's a delicate situation. But, anyway, the defense: Defensive end various Upshaws [247] Michigan has commits from instate SDE Adrian Hutchinson and FL DE Taylor Upshaw. Hutchinson is a Michigan legacy and four-star who projects as a Wormley/Van Bergen sort of burly strongside guy without huge pass rush upside. Upshaw, the son of NFL DE Regan Upshaw, is a high-upside wildcard who Michigan flipped from Florida this fall. He just started playing football and is all potential and no polish. Michigan took a couple of excellent WDE prospects a year ago and redshirted Luiji Vilain due to injury, so need for an edge rusher is not pressing. Michigan is still heavily pursuing two five-star-ish sorts. MD DE Eyabi Anoma is at St. Frances, which means he's being coached by Biff Poggi. Alabama is his presumed landing spot all the same; Anoma did visit for OSU but he's been to Alabama three times already and is set to return this weekend. Writing seems on the wall there. NJ DE Jayson Oweh also came up for the OSU game; he seems like a three-way OSU-PSU-Michigan battle. As of a week ago Wiltfong thought it was Michigan vs PSU. Defensive tackle The one spot on the defense where Michigan absolutely needs a body or two, because you have two starters at each DT spot and like QB you never want to take a pass. Fortunately, Michigan appears to be in the driver's seat for NJ DT Tyler Friday. The book-length multi-part Sam Webb interview with a parent has started dropping over at The Michigan Insider, and the crystal balls are rolling in. Friday is a consensus top 100 guy that Michigan looks set to fend off Alabama and OSU for. A second guy probably has to come from off the board. MO DT Michael Thompson hasn't returned for an official after taking a summer visit; the same goes for NC DT Rick Sandidge. Linebacker just guys bein' dudes Michigan has one solid ILB commit in IN LB Cameron McGrone and one wobbly viper in GA LB Otis Reese. McGrone sounds like Devin Bush 2.0... Aggressive backer who gets moving downhill in a hurry. Shows good burst and quickness off the snap of the ball and timing when he is blitzing and shooting gaps. Plays with good motor and looks like he is always running at 100 percent. Physical and takes on blocks as well as arrives at ball carriers with impact. ...a flash of backfield doom waiting to happen. 24/7 is very bullish on him; if he sticks at his current spot (#31) he'll be a five star on Signing Day. Other sites are less enthused, but Bush was a 3/4 star borderline guy, so whatever. Reese was one of the first commits in the class, but this seems un-good. Reese was actually the guy who dropped before teammate Aubrey Solomon last year, and seemed like a major reason that Solomon did end up in Ann Arbor after all. But visits are visits; Michigan will strive to get him up one more time before he makes a final decision. FWIW, there have been some rumblings that Reese is #2 in the pecking order for a single slot in Georgia's class. With three touted guys in last year's class Michigan can go relatively light here. If Reese does decommit they might be happy with just McGrone and use that spot to shore up some weaker parts of the roster. There are no LBs on the board, really. GA ATH Michael Barrett is a dual threat QB who Michigan appears set to take; he's probably not a QB and Michigan already has two RBs in the class, so he might be another Bush 2.0 candidate. He's listed at 5'11" and 215, which is Bush territory, and looks like a linebacker playing QB on tape. I mean that as a compliment. Secondary Greens I'm hurling all DB-shaped guys in the same group because Michigan has recruited four guys who are more or less clones. TX CB/S gents German and Gemon Green are literally twins. FL S Sammy Faustin and GA CB Myles Sims are their other brothers Darrell; all are long-limbed 6'2" guys suited to batting away fades and the like. Sims's nickname may as well be the whole group's: "Spider." Collectively they have eight arms and there's probably a silk gland in there somewhere. Sims and Gemon Green are highly touted top 250 types; German and Faustin are three star sorts. In German's case his ranking was depressed by an ACL tear that prevented him from showing out during the heart of you-get-ranked-here season. Michigan's pursuit of other defensive backs seems limited to CT CB Josh Jobe, a very soft Miami commit who is spending his final year of high school in the heart of Don Brown territory at Cheshire Academy, which just sent Tarik Black to Michigan. Confidence about Michigan's ability to flip Jobe has waxed and waned. Of late it's bottomed out; he just told a 24/7 writer that there's a "120 percent chance" he flips to... Alabama. Deontay Anderson appears to be taking his spot anyway. The only other dude currently on the board is CA S Talanoa Hufanga, who visited for OSU. He was widely expected to go to Oregon prior to Willie Taggart's departure. That might open the door; still a tall order to pry a Samoan guy from California when the whole West Coast is hot on his tail. (CA S Bryan Addison is committing Sunday but has not fielded an in-home from Harbaugh, so... yeah.) Michigan loses zero defensive backs to graduation unless Brandon Watson doesn't get invited back—unlikely—so Anderson would be a net gain of 5 DBs and almost certainly shut the door for anyone else.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• one glance at the roster should be sufficient evidence to discount a mass transfer of that magnitude.
                Sounds like an opinion.

Even qualifies with:

that is certainly a possibility with so many borderline fifth-years. It's a delicate situation.
                Atlanta, GA

Comment

• I think a good look at the numbers suggests there's room for 3, I agree. And Little if he wants to come.

Comment

• More attrition expected but the room for 20+ in '18 includes some expected departures.

Comment

• I think a good look at the numbers suggests there's room for 3, I agree. And Little if he wants to come.
                      I agree. And as far as I am concerned, Little would be the priority over Patterson.

Any way we can differentiate Shay Patterson and the young man Harbs is recruiting out of Arizona, lineman named Patterson? I suggest we call him PattersonAZ.

Comment

• Little is going to Oklahoma from everything I have seen

Comment

• Here's your visitors list for today. There's some talk at mgo that Michael Barrett, 3* athlete
                          from GA with an offer list that belies his 3*, will commit this weekend.

If you like the content here at TTB, please consider helping out the blog by making purchases from Amazon using the links and banners found on this website. Thanks! TRANSFER Deontay Anderson – S – Ole Miss: Anderson is a 6’1″, 221 lb. safety who missed the 2017 season with an injury. He made 32 […]

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                            Michael Barrett, 3* athlete
                            The next Peppers/ Hudson? VIPER.
                            Skills positions on offense are crowded. Particularly RB ... Higdon, Evans, Walker, Samuels, Turner, Taylor, and Haskins. The idea of Barrett on offense seems like a slower Curtis Samuel, which is part RB. Do it all.
                            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• On Michael Barrett ...... I've not seen anything that suggests how the staff actually thinks this guy might be used. We have no idea what those recruiting him are saying about his role. So, to me it's a head scratcher but we've seen this kind of thing before with Harbaugh. Recruits guys who he envisions as having multiple roles.

That's fine when you have 30+ spots, have filled all your needs and want to take on a guy with athletic potential who you'll see what you got when he starts working out and practicing.

2018 Class? I'm skeptical about the value of taking scholarships out of the pool on a guy who you don't know how he's going to be used when you've got a small class coming in/limited scholarships available.

The end result is that you're likely to have more guys committed than you actually have spots for. Then you've got the issue of committable commits, over signing and all the negative press that goes along with that approach let alone the screw job something like this can be on the recruits themselves.

I don't like this but, it is how the recruiting game is played these days and right now, given NCAA rules, programs doing the recruiting seem to me to be at a disadvantage. High demand recruits can play programs that want them in different ways - there are lots of situations where M has been played. OT, Devry Hamilton comes to mind. So, in a sense, I guess we shouldn't be too concerned about these kinds of outcomes when committed recruits get asked to look somewhere else; their offer is no longer available. Tit for Tat sort of thing I guess.

Comment

• Well done students, well done.

[ame]https://twitter.com/BSB_Wolverine/status/939541370540380160[/ame]
                                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

Working...
                                X