Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure if this belongs in the HARBAUGH!!!!/2021 thread or recruiting, but I guess it's more recruiting. Here's Sam Webb today on Will Johnson:

"Michigan has some work to do here. Things have definitely slipped. I haven't flipped my Crystal Ball yet, but I've lowered it all the way down to 2. I'll be checking in over the coming days and weeks to see if they can stem the tide. If not, a flip will be in order."
    Will Johnson is an elite level CB -- I'm talking 1st round pick in 3 years. He's an in-state kid. He has massive connections to M through his parents. He will go to M unless things are so fucked up that he doesn't. That is to say, if he ends up at some other school, it will be because (1) M totally fucked it up; and then (2) some other school cleaned up the mess.

Now, I've followed enough recruiting to never get too hung up on snapshots. But, I also have a pretty good sense of recruiting "experts" and what to listen to. Webb almost never downplays M unless it's legit how he feels. However, I also don't think he's particularly great and looking big picture and further down the road. So, I still think that Johnson is all M -- I'd be stunned if he went elsewhere. I think this is entirely a product of the current situation. If HARBAUGH!!! stays WJ is in. End of discussion. But, man....is there actual smoke?

This would be a disastrous recruiting loss for M. IMO, he is the absolute, no doubt #1 must-get for M in the 2022 class.
    Last edited by iam416; January 7, 2021, 08:48 AM.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Yes, disastrous primarily because you lose a high profile recruit to program turmoil and it has a domino effect. Bluechippers want to go where other bluechippers go; they don’t want to go there if legacy bluechip recruits start decommitting. Uncertainty on coaching staff’s being retained is huge. And fencewalking walking elites are as quick to scare off as baby bunnies.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Yeah, it would not be good for the 2022 class, but, aside from QB, a lockdown CB is as valuable player as there is. M has their QB in the 2021 class. What they don't have is a CB with even the slightest hope of handling Ohio State WR talent. Will Johnson is that #1 guy.

So, it'd be disastrous in almost every way. Again, I see very little chance of it happening, BUT, that's down from 100% lock to M to, say, 90%. For an ordinary recruit that's not even worth mentioning. But, he ain't an ordinary recruit.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          Yeah, it would not be good for the 2022 class, but, aside from QB, a lockdown CB is as valuable player as there is. M has their QB in the 2021 class. What they don't have is a CB with even the slightest hope of handling Ohio State WR talent. Will Johnson is that #1 guy.

So, it'd be disastrous in almost every way. Again, I see very little chance of it happening, BUT, that's down from 100% lock to M to, say, 90%. For an ordinary recruit that's not even worth mentioning. But, he ain't an ordinary recruit.
          QB, CB, LT. That is the holy triumvirate of bluechips. All others are important. Those are important-er.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• ....... and there is doubt that Michigan football is a fucking mess? Is there doubt that long standing fans done't give a shit anymore? I'm trying real hard to not allow my unusually negative mood due to disgust and dismay over the shit-show in the capital yesterday affect my view of M football but, man, things are not good. Glad you two are having fun pointing out the obvious.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Well, it's probably only 10% sass-motivated. It's really more recruiting-motivated and program-motivated. As I said, I don't think they'll lose WJ, but that Sam Webb is less than confident is really stunning to me.

Comment

• No sass intended by me, Jeff - just casual discussion. I will leave this particular thread forthwith.

Comment

• I'm just in a bad mood. Disregard my whining.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Michigan has to decide who their HC is before being concerned about recruiting. The HC will determine a lot as to who signs and who doesn't.
                    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• forchristsakes WTF is taking so long?

Comment

• WingsFan is bitterly disappointed.

Comment

• Bitterly. And that’s a F.A.C.K.

Comment

• Comment

• Like several of us have been saying: M football is a disaster right now. Maybe administration is playing a long game with Harbaugh. If that is accurate, it doesn't take an expert or someone with great experience in college football to understand the costs of doing that. Either way, massive mismanagement and dumbfuckery or skillfully navigating the troubled waters with known costs worth the endgame outcome, M football is fucked.

Comment

• There's no way out of this until the people on State Street decide on who the coach is. If they want Harbaugh, then give him a deadline of the end of this week to sign the extension.

If he refuses, fire him. Wish him well. So long. Move on and start interviewing candidates.

If he signs, make him get busy recruiting.

I find it interesting that Coach Harbaugh's family is still vacationing in southern California, and Jim is flying back there today, to rejoin them. Interestingly, the Chargers job opened up a couple days ago, and Harbaugh knows the Spano family, and played for the Chargers as well.

Again, settle this thing THIS WEEK. Whatever happens, happens.
                                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Working...
                                X