X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is nothing to solve AA.

Comment

• You’re fired.
      "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• If nominated I will not accept, if elected I will not serve

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
          There doesn't need to be effective regulation of the NIL market, the previous regulation was clearly illegal,.it should have never been there. It was wrong and the NCAA lawyers got thoroughly humiliated by Beer Kavanaugh. The arguments about amateur athletics were always bull shit. College football will go on and it will be fine.

LOL at the example of Wayne Fontes, like it has anything to do with anything. That was 30 fucking years ago.
          Attitudes haven't changed in those 30 years, other than that college football has lost fandom because of all of the stupid shit that has been done to the game to drive fans away from the game, such as conference super expansion and the destruction of regional rivalries.

NIL doesn't need to be done away with. Unlimited and unrestricted transfers need to be done away with. Holding athletes to a tiny modicum of commitment isn't "unfair".

LMAO at that dumbass yahoo article. It's retarded to look at a new rule change only two years in and declare that not much has changed when things clearly have changed and the consequences have not yet fully taken root. Professional sports have salary caps and term contracts for a reason. College football is now a professional sport with no salary cap and no contracts.

Comment

• College football is as much America's Game as baseball and it demands protection from the excesses - unregulated movement of money - that could ruin it. That's one side of the solution. The other is the labor forces that will culminate in a player union. Player unions are inevitable and from there collective bargaining follows. Economics 200 on Labor.

Given that reality, NIL and the portal may be driving forces to a culmination of outcomes, a player union and federal regulation being two of them, those two opportunities for players will become routine part and parcel of CFB just like regulated drafts and free agency has become part of pro sports. 5 years from now they'll be just elements of college sports. IOW, this will all sort itself out as I think it was Mike that took that position and I agree with him.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
              There will never be effective regulation of the "NIL" market. And I put NIL in quotes because kids aren't getting paid for their name, image, and likeness. They are getting paid to play football. They are minor leaguers now. And unlike all of the professional sports, there are no rules in place to enforce some sort of parity, outside of the scholarship cap. There is no draft order, no salary cap, and no long term deals. No professional sport has ever been this much of a wild west. It's a massive change to a sport that has a huge following from people who specifically love that college football isn't the NFL

Most people would be careful about radically overhauling this much of a golden goose -- we're talking about a sport where mediocre teams have more than 80,000 people watching them play tomato cans on a regular basis. The Lions couldn't even get 80,000 in the Silverdome for a playoff game and even the one year Wayne Fontes went 12-4, they couldn't sell enough tickets to get the blackout lifted without the local TV affiliate buying up at least a few thousand tickets. And unlike college, you don't have to donate a shitload of money just to have access to season tickets. It speaks volumes about how much more passionate the following for college football is than the NFL. College football doesn't even have to regionalize coverage or impose TV blackouts to get people to watch or show up. It's definitely not because the athletes are better or because their skill level is higher than the NFL.

Michigan State is not known as a college football powerhouse and their stadium would rank in the upper quartile of the NFL. It might be worth looking at college football and seeing what makes it unique and special instead of just blowing it up and assuming that it's all going to work out somehow. But common sense, as they say, isn't.

Anywho, if you think that the Wild West is here, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Pay amounts are still relatively low and the biggest powerhouses in the sport have yet to fully leverage their advantages. But that's only a matter of time.
              I agree with this.

1. In listening to the bowl broadcasts this week, it is amazing how many of the players are transfers, and the broadcasters always point that out.

2. College football fans are passionate about their team, for the most part. I wonder if players are as passionate about their school as they used to be. Cade McNamara was all about UM until he lost his starting spot. If the fans are passionate, but the players, are not so much, that will have long-term ramifications, as you say.

Comment

I don’t know what makes you think this. If anything, it’s going to get way worse as programs develop networks to recruit guys who fly under the radar and then blow up at non power five programs. That part has barely started yet. If unproven players can get seven figures then imagine what a guy like Jerry Rice would get if he blew up at Mississippi Valley State. The only framework that will prevent this is reverting to the old transfer rules. There isn’t some magical solution that will naturally arise to fix this.

Most guys don’t give a shit where they get a degree from, and two million dollars trumps “relationship with the coach” any day. The dollar values are likely going to escalate in the coming years too. There’s enough money to match the pros. It will take a while for the machinery to develop but in a decade a Blake Corum type could be making more than $5 million per year. Right now there is still a shitload of big donor money going to facilities, coach’s salaries, etc.
                How much do you figure Arch Manning got from Texas in order to sign?

Last edited by DaGeezer; December 28, 2022, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• I believe he was given the title to J.R. Ewing's Ranch...
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by DaGeezer View Post

I doubt anything to sign. He’ll be doing national Dr. Pepper, Nissan, and pizza restaurant commercials soon, though.
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Attitudes haven't changed in those 30 years, other than that college football has lost fandom because of all of the stupid shit that has been done to the game to drive fans away from the game, such as conference super expansion and the destruction of regional rivalries.

NIL doesn't need to be done away with. Unlimited and unrestricted transfers need to be done away with. Holding athletes to a tiny modicum of commitment isn't "unfair".

LMAO at that dumbass yahoo article. It's retarded to look at a new rule change only two years in and declare that not much has changed when things clearly have changed and the consequences have not yet fully taken root. Professional sports have salary caps and term contracts for a reason. College football is now a professional sport with no salary cap and no contracts.
                      The only way pro sports have those rules and are able to implement them is because there is a union to agree to those work rules Its why when labor stoppages get hairy and prolonged, the union will threaten to decertify. Than all of those rules are subject to anti-trust laws and ultimately will be thrown out.

People went ape shit last year when A&M allegedly spent 50 million on recruits. They had a terrible year and have over 20 players in the portal.

If it turns out 5 years from now that all the transfer portal and NIL has drastically changed then maybe you change up the rules. But so far as the article has shown, it didn't have any measurable effect on recruiting rankings. You are chicken little and you are in the second straight CFP. Enjoy life for once. You fellas are killing it in the transfer portal, well done!

Comment

• And give me a break with college football losing fans in the last 30 years. They are more games,.more bowls, more games are televised and more money. College football is thriving, it's nowhere near the juggernaut that the mighty NFL is, but no league or sport compares.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaGeezer View Post

My guess would be $1.5 Million. I think that's what the QB who flipped from Oregon to UCLA is rumored to have gotten.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                            But so far as the article has shown, it didn't have any measurable effect on recruiting rankings.!
                            Actually, it has had a huge effect for some teams. Michigan being a prime example. We have our worst recruiting class this year since the RichRod era despite making the playoffs for two consecutive years and it is widely known that our approach to NIL is a major factor in this. Harbaugh had a series of Top 10 classes before he ever beat OSU, so it's not as if he can't recruit. I'm not blaming the rules since it's our own fault for being so stupid and behind the times, but let's not pretend that being able to buy five star recruits isn't a big deal. Being able to buy free agents from other programs is going to be an even bigger deal once those channels for communication have been built (it just takes time). Maybe you will realize this when OSU and Alabama start poaching your 3* guys who blow up as freshmen and sophomores. You're naive as hell if you think that's not going to become a regular occurrence and you're demented if you think that it's good for the sport.

College football being a free agent Wild West bothers me way more than players getting paid, which is something that I am fine with.
                            Last edited by Hannibal; December 28, 2022, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• We'll see, I think your caterwauling is silly.

Comment

My guess would be $1.5 Million. I think that's what the QB who flipped from Oregon to UCLA is rumored to have gotten.
                                I mean it’s possible, but there is no need for a Manning to risk anything for an inappropriate NIL deal. He doesn’t need the money and he knows the legit NIL deals will be there after he gets on campus. It would be a risky, needless move and the Mannings are not known for reckless business.

Comment

Working...
                                X