This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
    Nick Saban built the #1 class in the country immediately following a 6-6 season. At the time, Alabama hadn't been competitive nationally for over a decade. And Charlie Weis managed to pull in Top 10 classes even after his teams completely went to shit. Immediately following the 3-9 season where Notre Dame had no offense, he pulled in 3 five stars and 16 four star guys. At that time, ND hadn't won a bowl game in an astounding 14 years.

If you want to impress me, you don't need six years to build your program and land a Top 10 recruiting class. Christ I'm not asking for the fucking world here. But we're already in RichRod/Beilein "stars don't matter" Sweet Lemon Rationalization mode and Harbaugh hasn't even been in the job for six months. We're offering kids now who weren't even starters on their high school team.
    If only that was true. In 2007 Alabama had the 13th ranked class in the country according to 24/7. For comparison, Michigan was 8th.
    To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• The 2008 (February) class was actually Saban's first full cycle class. It was rated #3 by the 247Sports Composite, though I think it was #1 according to at least one service. UFM's first full cycle class (2013) was #2.

If the measuring stick is elite programs and elite coaches, and I've seen nothing that suggests M fans think anything less, then Hannibal is being reasonable.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• That's this forum for you -- somehow for many expectations are massive and modest at the same time. I'm certainly with Hannibal on this one -- it should come sooner rather than later.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          The 2008 (February) class was actually Saban's first full cycle class. It was rated #3 by the 247Sports Composite, though I think it was #1 according to at least one service. UFM's first full cycle class (2013) was #2.

If the measuring stick is elite programs and elite coaches, and I've seen nothing that suggests M fans think anything less, then Hannibal is being reasonable.
          I don't disagree iam. But can we give Harbaugh a recruiting cycle first?

Comment

• FWIW I expect a top 9-13 class overall, depending on its size and a lil' better in terms of quality by recruit.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
              I'd say lets see how his recruits perform in a few games before we consider his recruiting efforts a failure. Winning breeds winning. When he starts putting together a few impressive victories, they will notice.
              He already has impressive victories at Stanford and San Francisco. I know recruiting is also about established relationships, but I am beginning to wonder about the Allure of Harbaugh as it was anticipated. Also, what affect is the Harbaugh is a strange guy meme that the media is running with having on his attractiveness? Seems to me the national media is painting him negatively. Look how much attention Boone's comments received.
              I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Harbaugh being 'intense' might attract a different type of player than Brady Hoke would.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
                  He already has impressive victories at Stanford and San Francisco. I know recruiting is also about established relationships, but I am beginning to wonder about the Allure of Harbaugh as it was anticipated. Also, what affect is the Harbaugh is a strange guy meme that the media is running with having on his attractiveness? Seems to me the national media is painting him negatively. Look how much attention Boone's comments received.
                  I think that in today's day and age, Harbaugh's nuttiness is a huge asset. The attention seems good.
                  Last edited by Hannibal; April 28, 2015, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• I don't understand the angst so far(not that there's been a ton of it) on the lack of recruiting. He's still in on almost all the top targets. Until he begins to get beat out on some of them, I'll have no worries. I don't have a problem with him taking a lower rated guy right now, because if he's taking a commit this early he obviously likes him quite a bit. I'd be more concerned if these were all plan B types.

Comment

• I'd like to see more mutual interest from top 150 overall type talents, especially on defense but don't see anything yet to make me the least bit worried...

My concern above (top 150 caliber talent) imo will fix itself only after (and IF) Harbaugh has success on the field, hopefully for the '17 class.

Comment

• SLF:

Definitely -- he gets at least his class and, IMO, next class...unless this year's class is a dud.

Serious question:

What's the measuring stick for M in recruiting THIS year? Is it ok to give away another year to UFM in terms of talent? Or do you need to start matching OSU this cycle? Built into the question, I guess, is your own thoughts on the player development greatness of HARBAUGH! and such, but I think it's an interest query.

From where I sit, OSU has buried M in the 2013 and 2014 classes. I'm not sure M can afford to get trucked again *IF* the immediate goal is parity with UFM and OSU. If I were a M fan this year's minimum goal would be a top 10ish class because you sort of know for certain that OSU will be top 5 or better.

That said, if you think HARBAUGH is materially better than UFM in development, gameday stuff, etc, then the talent gap becomes less important.

So, what's the threshold for a successful 2016 class?

Comment

• Top 10. It's the first full class which is often a new coach's strongest one. It's when he's on the honeymoon and he can make whatever promises he wants. RichRod's best class by far was his '09 group and Brady Hoke pulled in a very impressive '12 bunch despite having no pedigree and getting most of it on the heels of a 52-14 Gator blowout. With our '14 and '15 classes, we are facing a big talent gap not just with OSU but with PSU and whatever bowl opponents we are going to face. We don't have three years for underrated guys and project guys to develop. The 2016 class needs to contribute very heavily starting in 2017. We might need a top notch WR or RB to contribute immediately in 2016. It needs to be a great one.
                          Last edited by Hannibal; April 28, 2015, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• If I were cursed with M fandom, that's where I'd be, Hanni.

Comment

• I personally don't think it's fair to compare Mich to OSU right now. I do expect that Jimmy should have the second best recruiting class (by average rating) in the big ten this year.

Urbz is currently in a different league. (But so was Carroll)

Comment

• I think that gets to Hack's surprisingly insightful and inciteful point....on the one hand, HARBAUGH!!!! and on the other, well, he can't be expected to match OSU/UFM out the gate or, for that matter, do what The Nick and UFM did in their first recruiting cycle.

Go all in, SLF!

Comment

Working...
                                X