Detroit Red Wings & the NHL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couture should have won it.

Or Kessel if it absolutely had to be from the Pens.

Overall, much more of a team effort from the Pens. Certainly more impressive than their '09 victory over the Red Wings when the beat an injury-riddled Red Wings team with the help of about three or four "you see that about once every three years" bad calls from the officials.
    Last edited by Hannibal; June 13, 2016, 08:38 AM.

Comment

• Agree re: Couture. If ever there was a year for a player from the losing team to win it, this was the year. Hell, Crosby didn't even play on the best line on the Pens. Kessel/Bonino/Hagelin was their best line through the playoffs and the numbers bear that out. But hey Crosby. People have heard of him.

Comment

• Overall, a pretty bad final to watch. Shitty offense, no officiating. Only 25 power plays combined for both teams in six games. 4 PPG scored. And wasn't it the lowest rated final since the lockout?

Comment

• I haven't paid very close attention to the Cup presentation in recent years. But holy shit, does every stadium boo Gary Bettman as loud as they did last night? Because LOL at that.

Comment

• My son was cracking up on the clinching goal asking, "How did the Sharks make the finals with that awful defense?"

Comment

• Remind me what happened? I seem to remember that one being just a really nice pass by Crosby.

Comment

• I turned it off after the ENG but, yes, Bettman gets booed everywhere he goes.

Comment

• I think Bettman is happy to give Stanley to anyone but the Red Wings. He frowned every time he handed it to the Wings captains, but grins ear to ear with everyone else.
                  "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Comment

• Okay Mike. You may kill me now.

Comment

• Haha. Couldn't resist.

Comment

• I think you may agree that Bettman would rather give the Cup to anyone but the Red Wings.

I just hope the Ilitch's will empower the Red Wing organization to get back into Cup contention again.

Comment

• I can't wait until that fucking asshole Bettman is gone. I can't believe that he has been the commissioner for over 20 years now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              Crosby winning the Connn Smythe is a joke. Zero goals in six finals games. Coming into Game 6 he had 17 points and was a -4. Carl Hagelin had 16 points and was +9. But yeah, floater Crosby was their best player despite his disappearance in the finals.
                              LOL . What.?

Thankfully the Professional Hockey Writers Association and it's 180 members actually vote for the Connn Smythe winner and not whimsical fans. The majority of writers chose Crosby and for good reason, he was the most valuable player to his team in the playoffs not to mention the best player on the ice through 4 playoff rounds. His numbers are consistent with the last several recipients as well, link clearly affirms this.

Crosby finished 2nd with 19 points to Kessel at 22. Crosby played the entire season as well has the playoffs against the very best players from every team in the League and still kicked their asses. HBK line had good success against 3rd and 4th lines while Crosby and Malkin drew most of the heavy fire.

Re: Hagelin? He's playing for his 3rd team in less than 2 years hoping to find a home. HBK had good team success and thankfully they didn't face San Jose's heavies every damn shift!

Crosby more than deserving of Conn Smythe
                              You can make a good argument that Pittsburgh Penguins forward Phil Kessel deserved the Conn Smythe Trophy, after he led his Stanley Cup-winning squad in scoring. But you can't make the argument that Sidney Crosby, the Conn Smythe winner, didn't deserve the hardware.For all the talent on Pittsburgh, the Pens are Crosby's team. As he goes, they go. And by all accounts, No. 87 was on a mission this spring to win his second career Cup and cement himself as one of the greatest to ever play the game.Make no mistake: He is unquestionably one of the best of all time, as evidenced simply by the company he now keeps. Winners of Both Hart Memorial & Conn Smythe Trophies, NHL History:BeliveauCrosbyGretzkyLafleurLemieuxMalkinMessierOrrSakicTrottier— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) June 13, 2016 While Kessel outscored Crosby in the playoffs, Crosby's statistics are strong, and his two-way game doesn't show up in the box score.Going back to 2006, here are the Conn Smythe Trophy winners and their statistics. The table below does not include three goalies who have taken home the trophy in the past 11 years - Cam Ward, Tim Thomas, and Jonathan Quick. Year Player Playoff Points Cup Final Points 2016 Crosby 19 (6G 13A) in 24 GP 4A in 6 GP 2015 Duncan Keith 21 (3G 18A) in 23 GP 3 (1G 2A) in 6 GP 2014 Justin Williams 25 (9G 16A) in 26 GP 7 (2G 5A) in 5 GP 2013 Patrick Kane 19 (9G 10A) in 23 GP 5 (3G 2A) in 6 GP 2010 Jonathan Toews 29 (7G 22A) in 22 GP 3A in 6 GP 2009 Evgeni Malkin 36 (14 G 22A) in 24 GP 8 (2G 6A) in 7 GP 2008 Henrik Zetterberg 27 (13G 14A) in 22 GP 6 (2G 4A) in 6 GP 2007 Scott Niedermayer 11 (3G 11A) in 21 GP 2A in 5 GP Even based on his production, Crosby was deserving. And the above doesn't take into account the fact that the San Jose Sharks scored only 12 goals in six games, and that Joe Thornton, Joe Pavelski, and Patrick Marleau were all completely shut down in the final.And now, Crosby's won it all. Two Stanley Cups. One Conn Smythe. Two Olympic gold medals. The Hart Trophy, twice. World Championship gold. World Junior gold. There's nothing left, but more Cups and more Conn Smythes.

Mr. Constantine Smythe meet Mr. Sidney Crosby!
                              Last edited by Prime2; June 13, 2016, 08:33 PM.
                              "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                                Overall, a pretty bad final to watch. Shitty offense, no officiating. Only 25 power plays combined for both teams in six games. 4 PPG scored. And wasn't it the lowest rated final since the lockout?
                                Stanley Cup Final was most viewed non-Original Six series in 15 years
                                Maybe it was the massive beards, maybe it was Sidney Crosby, but whatever it was, plenty of people tuned into the Pittsburgh Penguins' bout versus the San Jose Sharks in the Stanley Cup Final.The NHL's concluding series was the most watched non-Original Six series in 15 years, averaging nearly 4 million viewers per game on NBC. Sunday's Game 6 - a 3-1 Cup-clinching Penguins win - drew 5.407 million viewers, NBC's highest number for a non-Original Six Stanley Cup Final game ever.
                                "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

Working...
                                X