Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hating on the $EC - Mostly Alabama (and a little Georgia too)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DA won’t prosecute Alabama football players on drug and weapons charges, refuses to ‘ruin' their lives

"I'm not going to ruin their lives because they, you know, broke the law".

MONROE, La. (AP) — The district attorney’s office has decided not to prosecute Alabama offensive lineman Cam Robinson and reserve defensive back Laurence “Hootie” Jones on d…

“I want to emphasize once again that the main reason I’m doing this is that I refuse to ruin the lives of two young men who have spent their adolescence and teenage years, working and sweating, while we were all in the air conditioning,” Jones told KNOE-TV.

Alabama coach Nick Saban hasn’t levied any punishment against the players, noting that he wanted to acquire more information about the incident.

Fuckin' Hillbillies!
    Last edited by Prime2; July 13, 2016, 04:49 PM.
    "Whole milk, not the candy-ass 2-percent or skim milk."

Comment

"I know the Stanford case is galling, but we cannot make sweeping generalization based on cases that make the news....and yeah, I agree, that's what we do in here."

Truer words were never spoken

Comment

Universities are so much more concerned w/ sexually assault than pot it's not even a conversation. The DOE-"promoted" efforts to deal w/ any type of sexually assault under Title IX has been thoroughly discussed here. On that note, I'm really hoping the Yale hoops player kicked off the team and expelled wins the shit out of his lawsuit against Yale.
        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Me too. The Yale example was egregious. Fucking Elis. But at least Yale is a REAL Ivy League school with nice architecture. .
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Me three

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

I'm now reconsidering my initial opinion.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

Hating on the SEC (but mainly Bama) and its shills. Hosted by AlabamAlum.

I'm sure people will still vote for you Hillary... Heh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

Here's the video of Simmons brutalizing a young lady. It's more sad than anything (neither of the girls who fought went to the hospital apparently). And it makes you realize that many of these kids wearing our schools' laundry on their backs came from very different worlds than many of us here. Yeah. Give him a second chance. Maybe some education and a shot at a career in the NFL will break the chain.

[ame]http://youtu.be/vMGbXUJXauY[/ame]
                  "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                    Re: Simmons

My opinion isn't popular with the law and order folks: I think they deserve another chance. If their legal issues are settled, or are non felonies, and it's not an issue that would get an academic schollie or regular student suspended from (or kept from enrolling) then play ball. Right or wrong, this kid is facing a misdemeanor charge.

I have a number of degrees and had some form of academic scholarship in all of them. As an undergrad, I got in trouble a couple of times, Once for a fight, once for a public intox. No one knew, no one cared, back at school (As an aside, The publc intox -which was eventually dropped- was pretty awesome. Myself and four friends were at a place called Jamaica Joe's in Ft. Walton Beach. Nice bar/restaurant with a faux brook that ran through the place and little pedestrian bridges that crossed over it. People threw change into the water like it was a wishing well. We ran out of beer money and waded into the water to get change for more beer. The cops did not find it or our unwillingness to abate our quest for cash amusing. In the least. I was thrown. Literally. Out of the place before being checked into Drunk Tank City).

Anyway, the idea that ballplayers are held to a higher standard than the student body and the academic scholarship super geniuses like me seems... manufactured. And if I had been kicked out as an undergrad, I would not have become the extraordinary gentleman that you all look up to and secretly envy.

As always, your mileage may vary, and I have had this convo too many times (hello, DSL!) to get into it again over a kid at a rival school, but just know, if you disagree with me, you are wrong. Horribly, woefully, and pitiably wrong. Wrong with a capital R.
                    Don't care to get into this too deep but most people on academic scholarship ARE held to a higher standard...I think most everywhere if you don't maintain a certain GPA (usually between a 3.0-3.5) you will lose your scholarship. That's not the behavioral standard we're talking about here but it IS a higher standard than the majority of students will be expected to hold.

I doubt anyone wants athletes to be held to a higher academic standard (guffaw!) so what's wrong with a behavioral one? If a college education is being offered to you at no expense, an offer that 90% of the student body doesn't receive, and it's coming too at taxpayer's expense, you're comfortable saying that's unfair to have higher expectations for those individuals?

Comment

• A 3.0. Heh. Football players have to go to practice, weight room, meetings, and maintain a passing gpa.

To double punish them by letting them pay their debts in court and then again at school by not letting them in (when no one else at the school suffers the same double dealing) doesn't seem right to me.

Taxpayer expense? Not all schools - what about requiring that schools pay for their own athletic scholarships from proceeds of the athletic departments?

Just curious, are you in favor of tying behavior to Welfare, etc, too? That is definitely taxpayer money. Get arrested for a misdemeanor, lose a month of food stamps (or whatever).

Comment

• What's funny DSL is that the last time we discussed this it was a kid from Oregon going to a Mississippi school.

I hate Mississippi schools and I hate you for making me take their side.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                          A 3.0. Heh. Football players have to go to practice, weight room, meetings, and maintain a passing gpa.

To double punish them by letting them pay their debts in court and then again at school by not letting them in (when no one else at the school suffers the same double dealing) doesn't seem right to me.

Taxpayer expense? Not all schools - what about requiring that schools pay for their own athletic scholarships from proceeds of the athletic departments?

Just curious, are you in favor of tying behavior to Welfare, etc, too? That is definitely taxpayer money. Get arrested for a misdemeanor, lose a month of food stamps (or whatever).
                          Football players also don't take anywhere near a full courseload during fall semester. Most will take 2 courses, tops.

Not arguing for expulsion here. I'm asking why they are so entitled to keep their scholarship once they have it? In practice they are held to a lower academic standard than the general student body (especially re: admissions) so it doesn't seem remotely onerous to me to enforce a behavioral standard instead.

And this is also curious talk from someone who has, in the past, seemingly had little issue with a coach stripping scholarships for on-field performance issues...

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                            What's funny DSL is that the last time we discussed this it was a kid from Oregon going to a Mississippi school.

I hate Mississippi schools and I hate you for making me take their side.
                            The whole world now witnesses your love for Mississippi and its 50th-best-in-the-nation educational system

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                              Football players also don't take anywhere near a full courseload during fall semester. Most will take 2 courses, tops.

Not arguing for expulsion here. I'm asking why they are so entitled to keep their scholarship once they have it? In practice they are held to a lower academic standard than the general student body (especially re: admissions) so it doesn't seem remotely onerous to me to enforce a behavioral standard instead.

And this is also curious talk from someone who has, in the past, seemingly had little issue with a coach stripping scholarships for on-field performance issues...

I'm okay with a coach not renewing a one-year (for behavior or performance). I'm okay with a coach making them run steps or sitting them or doing whatever was set up as the team rules beforehand.

The original discussion about Simmons was whether the president should let him in or put a hold on his athletic grant-in-aid.

I'm against the president of the school doing that for football players when they don't with others. Once it's done by admin, it needs to be fair and the same for all.
                              Last edited by AlabamAlum; July 13, 2016, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• And you never answered the behavior clause for Welfare or other taxpayer funded programs. Yea or nay? There seems to be a great deal of support for that in certain circles.

Comment

Working...
                                X