Clear All

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
    I will straight up fight you.
    Quoting Paula Abdul now?

Weak...even for you AA...

hello
    Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• 1. To get in the CFP, most years you will need to win the Big Ten or any other conference. I am going on the assumption that this strange year is an outlier.

2. Winning the Big Ten is much tougher than it was from the 70s until the end of Carr. The division setup makes you vulnerable to getting squeezed by a single loss as OSU has demonstrated the last two years. And you still have to win the championship game.

3. In that division you have to worry about PSU and MSU. This year notwithstanding MSU will compete, apparently so will PSU.

4. OSU is going to be a monster as long as Urban Meyer is down there.

Long story short, getting a spot in the CFP is going to be very hard. This year a spot after you finished 3rd in the division would be a gift from the football gods. Beating up on Louisville does not gain you a thing.
      This is all correct. I think the other thing to factor in for winning your division is that the B10 doesn't do balanced inter-divisional scheduling. Yeah, one year one division gets 2 homes games the other 1, but the B10 seems more concerned with getting good vs good. If you get clipped in one of those games it could cost you. I mean, it almost cost Wisconsin -- who was undefeated against the West, but 1-2 against the East. And you saw it a little bit in the East where OSU had to play at Madison, M had to play at Iowa and PSU had to play at Purdue. If, e.g., OSU and PSU flip their games there is no question, IMO, that OSU is in Indy.

Personally, I think if you're tied, the first tiebreaker should be intra-divisional record. Or, alternatively, I'd only count intra-divisional games for your conference record. If that were the case, then OSU/PSU/M have a three-way tie and OSU goes. Also, Wisconsin is never in danger of not winning the West.

I think you'll see this shit bubble up more and more. I mean, another example -- if OSU loses at Sparty, then M and PSU finish with the same intra-divisional record, M owns a 49-10 tiebreaker over them AND PSU goes because they played at Purdue instead of at Iowa.
      Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
      Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• This system allows any team in a big conference to guarantee a national title with an undefeated season. But those seasons will be rare and the first time you get a loss it exposes you. In many ways the loss exposes you to allow other teams in your conference to get your ticket whereas in the old system a loss exposed you to a team in another conference freezing you out.

Comment

• For 2017:

Michigan: @ Purdue, @ Wisconsin; vs. Minnesota
          MSU: @ Minnesota, @ NW; vs. Iowa
          PSU: @ Iowa, @ NW; vs. UNL
          OSU: @ UNL, @ Iowa; vs. Illinois

IMO, Sparty could easily pick up a game on the field with, IMO, the easiest two road games. M probably has the hardest single road game and OSU probably has the hardest set of road games -- I almost guarantee both OSU's road games will be at night.

Of course, who the F knows what these teams will look like in 2017.

Comment

• 2017 might still be a rebuilding year for MSU.

Comment

• The other reason it's harder to win championships is that tied for championships no longer count.
              To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Right. Ohio State and Penn State had the two best conference records. In the old days, that's a tie. And Wisconsin and M finish tied for 3rd.

Comment

• Correct.
                  To be a professional means that you don't die. - Takeru "the Tsunami" Kobayashi

Comment

• Just changed the thread title. M isn't going to sneak in to the CFP.

Washington had to lose to Utah for that to happen. It didn't. In fact, Utah crapped the bed.

Sure, there's a chance but it is minuscule (Clemson loses to VaTech and PSU beats Wisky in 9-6 shit fest) ........ the likelihood of those two things happening is less than 0.01%.

So, here we go.

At this point, I'm not terribly excited about this game. Outcome will depend on if JH gets his players up for this game. I'm told it is unlikely M won't show-up as a bowl like this for a team like this that is going to have several players taken in the early rounds of the 2017 NFL draft is a show case for NFL scouts. IOW, there's a big difference in $$$ between going #10 and #30 overall. Impress the scouts and it's $$$ in your pocket.
                    Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; December 3, 2016, 07:07 AM.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Co-lo-ra-do.

Comment

• UDub is a very deserving CFP participant. As a Pac12 hater all year, I was unimpressed with Washington until last night. They took care of business when it counted unlike ol'faithful.
                        Monkeys don't sell bananas.

Comment

• FSU has a lot of interesting pieces to make the Orange Bowl a fun matchup.
                          Dalvin Cook will be a 1st Round Pick. Deondre Francois will probably be a great college QB for the next couple of years. Maybe a healthy Derwin James will play for FSU's D.

Go Blue! Beat Jimbo
                          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Impressive win. Buffs had nothing.

Comment

• I'd wait til the Clemson game is over for this....but you're the mod.

Comment

• I don't think Clemson is that good however Virginia Tech is a .500 team at best in B1G.

Comment

Working...
                                X