No announcement yet.

Michigan vs. FSU, Orange Bowl, 8pm, ESPN, Game Day - Post Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, I'm just saying that with expanded conferences and divisions, the championship "means less."

OSU had a better B10 record than Wisconsin. And beat them. But Wisky gets to go to the CCG b/c their division sucks.

I do think divisional record should be the first tiebreaker.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by paul daugherity View Post
      I agree with what Talent wrote above. But, it defeats the point of a CCG if the winner is passed over for the CFP by another conference member. It should make the Big Ten rethink the whole thing. Too bad they'll likely dig in their heels.
      This is the discussion point ....... In the age of the CFP, conference offices better think through how their leagues are organized. Seems to me that the BIG is in the worst spot with regard to this issue.

I just don't know if it is a strong enough factor to force reorganization.

It looks like PSU's success in 2016 is no fluke and they are going to be competitive in league play going forward. Everything is in place for them to do that.

So, you've got 4 (osu, M, PSU, MSU in the E) of the best 6 teams in the conference (Wisky and Neb in the W) in one league. That is just dumb.
      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• 1. Alabama
        2. Clemson
        3. Washington
        4. Penn State

because if Donald Trump can win unexpectedly, why not. This CFP result would be more fun... Seeing Penn State slaughtered by Bama is a bonus.
        Good news: CFP is revealed at Noon (Eastern). Only have to wait nearly 3 hours for this.
        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• It's going to be akin to the SEC West a few years back when 85% weren't 4 loss suckbutts.

I really don't see a reason why, if the 2 best teams are in a division, that they both can't go.

Moreover, let's put it as starkly as we can -- if Florida won yesterday then does anyone really think Alabama should be out?

Comment

• Cody:

I'm thinking it's going to be PSU, too.

Comment

• Dropping Ohio State from 2nd to 5th would be ballsy. I like it. F the bucknuts.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• I don't know about meaning less. I like the thought of winning your conference championship and getting in. Winning your last national championship had a lot to do with you turning it on at the end of the year and winning the big ten chmpionship. At least takes some of BS arguments about resumes. I can see the argument about OSU this year and I wouldn't be upset if they got in, but this should be an extremely rare occasion. I understand the argument about thinking they have been one of the top 4 teams the last 2 years but nothing stops you from winning those games where you were heavily favored.

Even if the divisional record was first tiebreaker, it wouldn't have meant anything in this case.

Comment

• What you've got in place now has two competing mechanisms for selecting CFB's best teams. Going forward, we're going to see a lot of this kind of thing happening where whether you're looking at FEI/S&P+ - objective measures - or the eyeball test good football teams are going to get left out of the CFP.

If I were an osu fan, I'd be livid even over the possibility that my team is out of the CFP. I can't imagine being a player or a coach and having that happen - and it might - two years in a row.

I do think winning your CCG is a good mechanism for a selection process but how can anyone argue in it's current configuration it is working. It's not when you have a conference that doesn't have a CCG and others who have one with divisions not organized by making competitive balance a key factor but rather some other criteria.

Moreover, if you've got a P5 sort of organizing approach and then have only 4 spots for a CFP, it makes no sense to have the CCG as a mechanism to select to that.
                  Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• When the SEC brought the conference championship game to major college football 25 years ago, we knew this would happen. It was talked about back then.

They are respondible for the CCG and were the driving force behind the playoff.

F the SEC.
                    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• The solution is 8 team playoff, all 5 conferences winners get a ticket and the next three get in by a RPI point system that everyone knows in advance.

College football has it on the NFL in the entertaining game department but the NFL has it over the college game in spades in that they don't have this perennial talking about season resumes. I'd rather listen to Da Geezer tell us about his Horatio Alger stories that hear about college football resumes.

Comment

• I think ultimately this will lead to an 8 game playoff, 5 conference champs and 3 at large teams. Though not necessarily in the next contract, as I'm sure they will fight against it for as long as they can.

Comment

• Cross posting!

Comment

• It'll probably happen, but -as I have said before- I am very much against expanding the playoff.

Comment

• The troubling thing about OSU is they barely beat the Spartans. There were times in that game where the Spartans were handling the Buckeyes. We sucked this year, like really, really bad. I chalked it up to an improvement of the Spartans and they proved it by getting killed at Penn State.

The Buckeyes did not look good against Michigan either.

Comment

• Conference champs should automatically get it. The conference has a championship game for a reason, to crown the best in the conference. If the championship game doesn't crown the best in the conference something is broken and should be changed.
                                Monkeys don't sell bananas.

Comment

Working...
                                X