Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled pork on the Weber grill.

I have this down to a science now. I put a Boston Butt on a rack and uses a disposable aluminum pan under it.

When I get home in the afternoon around 5 or so, I set a fire to the side of the grill and put a cast iron sauce pan full of dry wood chips on top of it. I let it cook at about 200-225 degrees for about 4 or 5 hours. I have to add a few coals and some more wood chips occasionally. I take it off before I go to bed, put the butt in the pan and seal with foil. I put it in the oven on 200 degrees and cook it over night and eat it the next day. It is amazing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CGVT; December 14, 2017, 11:05 AM.
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Can you make that pic a little bigger...can't quite see it...
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Trying to resize it...
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• More. Before putting it in the oven
          Attached Files

Comment

• So hungry...

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
            AAL- Sam Martin - Because the Punter is one of Detroit's most used assets

Comment

• I started out spending hours doing them on the grill only, but that was too much work and I didn't want to pay that much attention to it. I tried putting it in the oven first, but found that it was too "done" to transfer to the rack and put on the grill. I decided to try smoking it first and finishing in the oven...Magic. I can tend to it for a few ours in the evening then put it in the oven and forget about it. The perfect solution!

Comment

• Maybe you should start a cooking thread in here
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Miscellaneous, dude. Miscellaneous

Food=anti troll

Comment

• I admire you guys for taking the time to get all this done. At this point, with young kids, I mostly stick with my 10 basic dishes that I can do without thinking and don't take too long. I try to disguise it with a lot of pre-snap motion.
                    My weekday cooking is super quick stuff. I can whip up pretty good pasta dishes in 30 minutes (Michael Symon's 5 in 5 is indispensable). But on Saturdays, especially in the winter, I try to a "long" dish. Whether it's a day long tomato sauce or stew or whatever.

Pulled pork on the Weber grill.

I have this down to a science now. I put a Boston Butt on a rack and uses a disposable aluminum pan under it.
                    Good man. Me, too. I use the same side smoke techique with same alumnium foil pan to catch drippings. I usually smoke it for 3-4 hours then bring it up to 190ish in the oven at 225. For a non-smoker pulled pork, it's enough to impart some smoke flavor and a modest smoke ring. I dress it with a mustard-based sauce. South Carolina may be a despicable and depraved haven for humanity's worst, including Clemson, but I do love the mustard-based sauce.

Serve with a nice vinegar based apple-cabbage slaw and you're really dealing. In fact, I'm making that stuff tomorrow for a Saturday dinner. Throwing in some sweet potatoes as well. And in a wild juxtaposition, an awesome antipasto plate which I absolute love doing. And if I get really saucy, some candied bacon.

WooooOOt!
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                      My weekday cooking is super quick stuff. I can whip up pretty good pasta dishes in 30 minutes (Michael Symon's 5 in 5 is indispensable). But on Saturdays, especially in the winter, I try to a "long" dish. Whether it's a day long tomato sauce or stew or whatever.

Good man. Me, too. I use the same side smoke techique with same alumnium foil pan to catch drippings. I usually smoke it for 3-4 hours then bring it up to 190ish in the oven at 225. For a non-smoker pulled pork, it's enough to impart some smoke flavor and a modest smoke ring. I dress it with a mustard-based sauce. South Carolina may be a despicable and depraved haven for humanity's worst, including Clemson, but I do love the mustard-based sauce.

Serve with a nice vinegar based apple-cabbage slaw and you're really dealing. In fact, I'm making that stuff tomorrow for a Saturday dinner. Throwing in some sweet potatoes as well. And in a wild juxtaposition, an awesome antipasto plate which I absolute love doing. And if I get really saucy, some candied bacon.

WooooOOt!
                      Yep, smoking it that way gives it a nice smokey taste but is not overpowering. There is nothing worse than BBQ that tastes like bottom of the fire pit, IMO

I usually make a sweet/sour/mayo based slaw. I like mustard sauces (I make mustard-way easy, btw) but really prefer a sweet tomato based sauce.

My wife is from North Carolina. She calls this "real" barbeque. I consider that high compliment.

Comment

• but really prefer a sweet catchup based sauce
                        No. God. No. Just No.

I occasionally go with an East NC pepper vinegar sauce, but I do prefer the mustard though I tone down the brown sugar a bit; amp up the vinegar a little and hit it with a nice dose of Frank's hot sauce. I can literally (and do) eat the leftover sauce like soup.

Anywho, good man. Despite your state residency, politics and, most discouragingly, CFB team of choice, there's little to dislike about a man who makes who takes the time to make his own pulled pork.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Pulled pork is easy. Ribs are tougher. Brisket is a science.
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I'm almost certain that Deray McKesson and John Cooper do as well.

Comment

• I used to spend time making my own sauce, but found that there is just about any flavor you would want on the shelf at the grocery store. We are partial to Sweet Baby Rays, but I have been trying to cut back on the sugar so I am making my own again.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
                                Pulled pork is easy. Ribs are tougher. Brisket is a science.
                                No argument here. I do ribs occasionally, but they are work. I think that they have to be done on the smoker the entire time to come out well and that takes time and effort. Once in a while when I have an afternoon to sit on the deck, cook and drink beer...

I don't do brisket because it is so damn expensive here. I'm going to give it a shot sometime, but I don't want to fuck up a $50 piece of meat learning to do it right

Comment

Working...
                                X