Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• froot loops
    replied
    6 months before the Flu of 1919 burned out people thought it was never going to end. Watch the PBS documentary on it, it's really interesting.

Leave a comment:

• edindetroit
    replied
    University of Michigan expert explains why he thinks COVID pandemic will end in 2022

With the coronavirus spreading at an unseen rate in Michigan and beyond, it can be hard to imagine any end in sight.

But University of Michigan immunologist and professor Dr. Jim Baker says he thinks the pandemic will come to an end in 2022.

Dr. Baker joined us on Flashpoint this week to discuss the current state of the pandemic and its future.

“When we talk about pandemic, this huge wave of infection that goes around the world, we usually see a lot of different phases,” Dr. Baker explained to Devin Scillian on Sunday’s Flashpoint program. “The more people are immune to the virus, the more people have a vaccine, the less likely they’re going to have a serious effect from this.”

Dr. Baker has been keeping a pandemic blog and recently wrote about the pandemic ending this year.

“We have been focused on number of infections with COVID-19 because of the very sensitive and accurate diagnostic tests (PCR) we have developed. In contrast, as we look at the end of the pandemic, we now need to focus less on infections and more on deaths. That is truly the important marker of a pandemic’s impact and the only comparable measure to the 1918 flu epidemic where there were no diagnostic tests,” Baker wrote.

“In the 1917 flu pandemic, after the initial burst of infections and deaths, two waves of deaths followed, each one less impactful. This is how pandemics end; two “echo” waves each being less and less significant. It is because in each wave the most susceptible individuals have been killed off as the rest of the population develops immunity. A similar pattern was seen in the 2011 Influenza A pandemic and it has now emerged with COVID-19. This pattern shows the COVID-19 pandemic is burning out.”

https://www.clickondetroit.com/all-a...l-end-in-2022/

I pray he is right.

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post

You might not have a choice. Everyone is catching COVID, it’s just a matter of when.
    Will you die fast, die slow, recover eventually, recover fast or shake it off in a couple of days is the question.

The Vax was developed to try to put most people in the latter. IT DOES NOT PREVENT getting the virus. IDK who lied to you about that or you may have assumed it, but all vaccinations aren't made to prevent.

This COVID virus is very virulent and changes to adapt to it's own survival, like an ameba, so we should be doing what ever we can to continue to survive until they can get a better handle on this.

Stay safe my friends

Leave a comment:

• Futureshock
    replied
    Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post

People were laughing admittedly insensitivity because idiots were buying otc animal dosage at pet supply stores and overdosing on the shit like it was a miracle cure. Or even overdosing on it prescribed and taking too much. Its a dangerous drug at the wrong levels.

What baffles me is how so many on the right dismiss the vaccines as bullshit due to big pharma greed or political lobbying among other reasons. Then turn around and buy into Hydroxycloroquine or Ivermectin as if no one profits from those drugs or benefit from their donors either. I'm not naive enough to be a sheep to buy in completely to either side but I'm much more likely to believe one that's promoting vaccines in general rather than specific medicines.
    While this can be a general summarization, there is a large number of people on the left who fall for this too. I think of it (Anti-vax) as more of a narrative that people who have an underlying distrust of government buy into. My very own sister and her family are non-vax and aren't far righters (probably moderate to be more exact).

Much like the vacuum salesmen of days gone by, the poor, less educated or/and rural people are more apt to fall for these false narratives. It's a reason those salesmen hit certain areas.

Originally posted by dpatnod View Post
    Well, Duh. What are you gonna do, listen to scientists over admitted dumbasses?
    I will always ask a person if they discussed this with their doctor. A guy I work with that is loud and proud about his far rightness told me that doctors are being told to say the vaccines are safe or they will lose their license. He and his family, wife, daughters and grand daughters subsequently caught COVID. He and a daughter had a heart attack after contracting. He spent 3 days on a ventilator but did eventually recover. Did he learn anything? Nope. "See. I didn't need that vax. It's all a ruse to get Trump out of office."

Again, people are neck deep in narratives and no amount of scientific truth and facts are going to deter their thinking. But we all should have our own Doctor that cares for our well being. He or She is the absolute best person to ask. If you don't feel comfortable asking them then you need a doctor you can believe in.

Ditto. I gave humanity too much credit. And Americans.

It's good that my parents didn't see what has happened to this society.
    I say this about some of my love ones that passed from 2010 - 2020. My maternal Grandmother, 3 uncles, 4 aunts and I think who is better off?

<sigh> Being AA I see more of the underbelly of humanity which is showcased in the shooting of AAs and subsequent acquittals (if they even have to go to trial) of murderers, traitors storming the Capitol w/o any regard to being jailed, Packer fans complaining, etc...

So I am less surprised then some other people to these people.

I think people have lost their way. As a Christian I fully believe what Edin wrote. When we turn away from these truths we also turn away from God in my opinion because this is his show. He has given us what we need to succeed, but Bubba Joe gets the love for his narratives.

You don't have to be a Christian, just a person of common sense.

Leave a comment:

• edindetroit
    replied
    I told my wife the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• TheLondonLion
    replied
    Originally posted by edindetroit View Post

I prefer not to test that theory.
    You might not have a choice. Everyone is catching COVID, it’s just a matter of when.

Leave a comment:

• dpatnod
    replied

I still feel this way.
    Ditto. I gave humanity too much credit. And Americans.

Leave a comment:

• edindetroit
    replied
    Originally posted by froot loops;n1769900Breakthrough infections generate ‘super immunity’ to COVID-19, study suggests | OHSU News [url
    https://news.ohsu.edu[/url]
    COVID-19 vaccination provides a foundation of protection that’s enhanced by breakthrough infection; ‘the key is to get vaccinated.']
    I prefer not to test that theory.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    COVID-19 vaccination provides a foundation of protection that’s enhanced by breakthrough infection; ‘the key is to get vaccinated.'

Leave a comment:

• CGVT
    replied
    Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    For awhile I had been watching the MacAfee show on one my monitors while I work. I haven't watched it in awhile, I found it a little repetitive. I mostly stick to Midsomer Murders and America's Test Kitchen. MacAfee is the best color commentator the WWE has had in a long time.
    A little McAfee goes a long way. My 19 year old son was home and we made some trips in the car and listened. I won't listen every day, but I like a dose every know and then.

Leave a comment:

• froot loops
    replied
    For awhile I had been watching the MacAfee show on one my monitors while I work. I haven't watched it in awhile, I found it a little repetitive. I mostly stick to Midsomer Murders and America's Test Kitchen. MacAfee is the best color commentator the WWE has had in a long time.

Leave a comment:

• TheLondonLion
    replied
    Agree on the last point but we have clear data to show the waning effect on neutralizing antibodies which is exacerbated by every emerging variant (remember the vaccines were built for the wild virus from Wuhan in 2019). You may well have been protected by the vaccine but for how long?

The data says not very long and they’re not going to keep sticking boosters in everyone’s arms every few months.

Leave a comment:

• JGSpartan
    replied
    Basing of anecdotal evidence especially including your own can be very misleading. I've also had a booster and I've had at least 3 different close contacts (spending the entire day with 2 of them) now test positive at different times while I didn't get shit at any time. It's possible certainly to think I got it though asymptomatic at some point but as someone who is vulnerable that is unlikely. There's more too the spread of the virus than just getting infected. It can evolve and get stronger as it has repeatedly and the vaccination can still aid in preventing that even if infected by fighting it off much quicker and more effectively, shortening the length of time you're contagious in the process. "I got infected while vaccinated so there's no public health benefit" is an incredibly narrow minded viewpoint.

I think the common sense approach if looking at the data from multiple countries and health organizations is that the vaccines do limit the spread but not completely. What they definitely accomplish is limiting the severity by a large margin.

Leave a comment:

• TheLondonLion
    replied
    Originally posted by CGVT View Post

That is what Pat McAfee calls Rogan on his show(tongue in cheek) when he is talking to AAron Rodgers when Rodgers is spewing his crap.

McAfee has a show on youtube for 12-3 everyday. On Tuesday he brings Rodgers on. Usually pretty good stuff, but you can see how Rodgers thinks much more highly of his "intellect" and "deep thinking" than is justified. It invariably turns to COVID McAfee lets him spew his shit unchallenged because in McAfee's words, "I don't know shit about fuck". I am sure that this Tuesday, the Rodgers segment will be unbearable, though.

Overall, though, the McAfee show is a hoot. Very football heavy, good guests that tend to open up more than they do on other shows and some real laugh out loud shit. It's worth the listen if you are travelling or just want something on in the background.
    I’m a hyperactive high energy guy and I find McAfee a bit OTT even for me. A bit too frat boy for my liking. I might give it another shot but it was fucking hectic for background listening.

As for Ivermectin, why would an anti-parasitic drug work on a virus? It just reminds me of hydroxychloriquine - some snake oil touted around as a miracle cure which was totally useless against a virus.

I’ve no doubt that Rogan and Rodgers’ monoclonal antibody treatment worked a treat - it was pretty well established that Regeneron and similar were effective treatments. Ivermectin seems like catnip for morons.

That said, as someone double vaxxed and boosted who had a recent very mild Omicron infection it seems pretty obvious that the vaccines offer no long term protection against infection (and then when infected, onwards transmission) but the worst excesses of COVID illness. The argument that you’re doing your bit for society by vaccinating no longer holds much water to me. It’s pretty much on your own head be it and I’m comfortable with that.
    Last edited by TheLondonLion; January 8, 2022, 02:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• edindetroit
    replied
    Much like Patricia broke me regarding the Lions. You anti-fukkin-common-sense fukkers have broken me regarding humanity.

Spread all the viruses you want. But I am so much more pissed about how for so many years I thought my country-men were legit. American Exceptionalism. From childhood. But, nope. Just a bunch of pigs at the trough. With the intellect to match. Our species will end because you are fukking stupid.

Best part is that the K'Aaron Rodgers of the world say they are worried the vaccine will take them out of the gene pool. Cuz it inflates your balls or some shit. But it is Covid that is actually going to remove the stupid from the gene pool.

In the Bible it mentions times where God confused people to the point they offed each other or where he hardened Pharaoh's heart against the Israelis leading to his demise. This has that feeling to me like we've strayed to far from God and now his hand is against us. Good friends and even good Christian friends are still poo-pooing this as a hoax and anti mask and anti Vax. It is shaking my faith.
    I still feel this way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X