No announcement yet.

NFL News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That will be sick, if it happens. 6pm, 9.30 and 1.30am on Saturday’s in Londondetroit lions football GIF

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
      That will be sick, if it happens. 6pm, 9.30 and 1.30am on Saturday’s in Londondetroit lions football GIF
      I'll never forget Peete's reacton there. epic indeed
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• I’m actually starting to think there could be a season.

Comment

• I don't know bro. Watching the shit show that baseball is going through its tough to imagine that there's a season let alone a full one
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
            I’m actually starting to think there could be a season.
            It may start on time, but I'd wager good money that the "Hope" plan doesn't work for 20+ weeks (playoffs)
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Have they even started practicing in pads yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post
                Have they even started practicing in pads yet?
                Nope.

Comment

• The season starts a month from today.

Comment

• Daniel Snyder claims a former employee took money to tell lies about him

Posted by Mike Florio on August 11, 2020, 6:33 AM EDT
                    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Packers G.M. knows flexibility is key in scouting this year

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 10, 2020, 5:10 PM EDT

Getty Images

At the moment, NFL scouting departments can’t be sure they’re going to have anything to scout in the fall.

So as they prepare for the uncertainty, the premium is on being able to adapt.

Via Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Packers General Manager Brian Gutekunst said his first priority is keeping his scouts on the road safe, at a time when travel is risky because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The question then becomes what will they be looking, and when.

“As far as our scouting staff goes I think we’re kind of prepared on a number of different fronts to attack this,” Gutekunst said. “But I think we have to be very flexible, too, because things will change and we’re going to prepare.

“There’s going to be a draft, we’re going to have to acquire players, so we’re just going to have to do it a few different ways.”

With the status of games up in the air, Gutekunst can’t be sure he and his scouts will have games or practices to watch, and will spent more time on 2019 game film. The possibility of a spring season complicates that further, since many top prospects may skip that to prepare for the 2021 NFL Draft (currently scheduled for April 29-May 1).

He was asked if he could see the league holding more combines, perhaps in December, for players who opted out this year, and he didn’t rule it out.

“I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we got down to that December area where you might see something like that, different kind of combines or workouts we’ll be able to attend,” he said. “The work those guys are going to have to do from an evaluation aspect, and also the background information and all the character information we rely on those guys so much for, all that is still going to be required.

“So, they’re going to have their work cut out for them. They’re just going to have to do it in some different ways. But it’s all still going to have to be done before we get to the time next year when the draft is.”

And until the college game decides what it’s going to do, Gutekunst can’t be sure what his job will look like this fall either.

Comment

• If college football moves to the spring, what happens with the draft?

Posted by Mike Florio on August 10, 2020, 11:34 AM EDT

Getty Images

When the possibility of college football being moved to the spring was merely that, the NFL reportedly wasn’t interested in moving the draft. As possibility becomes probability, and potentially certainty, the NFL may what to rethink its initial position.

Although the draft has become one of the league’s major offseason tentpoles, it makes no sense to require teams to scout college football players who are still playing college football. Also, some of the best players will skip a spring season if the draft remains in late April. A delayed draft could persuade more players to play a delayed 2020 season, giving the stewards of play-for-no-pay football access to their best available talent.

That’s an important consideration for the NFL. College football is, has been, and always will be the NFL’s free farm system. If college football wants the NFL to delay the draft in order to accommodate a delayed 2020 season, the league may not be quick to dismiss the possibility.

Yes, the NFL would need to get the NFL Players Association to agree to a later draft. In theory, the NFLPA would have no reason to consent to a delayed draft. As a practical matter, the union would have no reason to refuse it.

The biggest challenge could come from certainty of scheduling. If the major conferences bump to the spring, if the NFL moves the draft to June or July, and then if college football eventually can’t happen in the spring, the NFL will have delayed its draft for no reason.

Ultimately, it’s a possibility that, like everything else related to the pandemic, raises more questions than it answers.

Comment

• Audible sigh!
                          "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Saints haven’t had positive tests, but it “isn’t like we’ve got this figured out”

Posted by Josh Alper on August 12, 2020, 7:50 AM EDT

Getty Images

Saints head coach Sean Payton was the first NFL head coach to contract COVID-19 this offseason, but the team hasn’t had anyone diagnosed with the coronavirus since they began testing at the start of training camp last month.

Part of the reason for that has been the team’s decision to rent out space in a Loews Hotel for players and other team personnel who choose to stay in that controlled environment rather than go back and forth from home each day. The team has had a couple of players land on the COVID-19 list for brief periods after further testing showed they were false positives, but they’ve been otherwise clean in testing.

In a conversation with Jarrett Bell of USA Today, Payton cautioned against anyone letting their guard down because of how things have gone to this point.

“I’m proud and glad that we haven’t had a positive test, but you need to know something: Just when you think everything is good, bam! We’ll have eight,” Payton said. “That’s how this guy works. This isn’t like we’ve got this figured out. Man, we don’t have this figured out.”

The Cowboys have followed the Saints’ sequester plan near their training facility and others could follow suit. That’s not the same as the bubble that the NBA and NHL are using to complete their seasons, but Payton thinks teams that advance to the postseason will have “a hard bubble” in place to make sure no one misses time at that point in the season.

Comment

• Cowboys create bubble-like environment at training camp

Posted by Charean Williams on August 11, 2020, 8:45 PM EDT

USA Today

The Cowboys typically hold training camp in Oxnard, California, giving them a month to bond as a team. COVID-19 changed Dallas’ plans this summer.

So the Cowboys are trying to make the best of it.

The team has a block of rooms at the five-star Omni Hotel, attached to the Cowboys’ indoor practice facility, Todd Archer of ESPN reports. It will allow players, coaches and staff a place to stay for the duration of camp.

The hotel stay is voluntary but “strongly suggested,” per Archer.

With most of the team planning to stay there, according to Archer, it will give the Cowboys their own “bubble” for a few weeks. The Saints have done the same for everyone at their training camp at their facility in Metairie, Louisiana.

“I’m a father of five, four of which will be at my home,” new Cowboys defensive tackle Gerald McCoy said, via Jori Epstein of USA Today. “My family’s safety is my top priority, and I appreciate the Cowboys for providing this opportunity to help us do our best in maintaining that priority of keeping them safe all while doing our job.

“The Cowboys have provided us with a beyond safe work environment.”

Since players reported to training camp July 21, the Cowboys have placed receiver Jon'Vea Johnson and cornerback Saivion Smith on the reserve/COVID-19 list. Both since have returned to the 80-player roster.

Comment

• Any ex-Patriots sitting out there?

NFL lifts prohibition on tryouts, effective immediately

Posted by Charean Williams on August 11, 2020, 6:43 PM EDT

Getty Images

NFL teams have been unable to workout players they have interest in signing because of COVID-19 concerns. Now, they can.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that the league informed clubs Tuesday it is lifting the prohibition on tryouts, effective immediately.

Since implementing COVID-19 restrictions, the NFL had banned teams from bringing players into their facilities until recently when they eased the restrictions for physicals.

As of today, any free agent, including Antonio Brown, Jadeveon Clowney, Everson Griffen, Clay Matthews, Logan Ryan and Devonta Freeman, can workout for any team.

Clowney is coming off surgery on a core muscle.

So expect tryouts quickly to pick up speed.

The NFL will limit teams to working out eight players per day, per Pelissero, and free agents will need to pass two COVID-19 tests before being allowed on the field.

Comment

Working...
                                X