Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

He was in the middle of that resurgence when he was traded. And then Avila traded him for pocket lint and used bubble gum. Maybe they couldn't have gotten equal value with any trade, but there was absolutely no chance of that happening with Al Avila pulling the trigger. Dude is an imbecile. Literally anyone on this forum could do a better job.

Al Aliva very possibly will go down as the worst general manager in MLB history.
    And that's saying something, considering we had Randy Smith from '95-'02.
    "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

• Originally posted by ghandi View Post

and iirc the Tigers paid a pretty good chunk of Verlanders salary too...To add insult to injury....
      There just wasn’t a gigantic market that trade deadline. Every contending team in baseball should be kicking themselves for not making a push but the Tigers didn’t have much leverage or better deals.

They could have waited but again it’s all hindsight. Yes the Tigers got raked but there’s not much we can do now
      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• It isn't hindsight if you said the trade was dogshit at the time.

You don't trade a Hall of Fame pitcher, especially one that the closest comp in pitching style was to Nolan Ryan. Verlander being this dominant at age 39 is not a surprise.

Hall of Fame players do not come around very often, when you get one, you keep him. Especially if he wants to stay and had to be convinced to agree to be traded. If the owner doesn't have the stomach to pay a sure fire homegrown Hall of Fame player, he should sell the team to an owner who can.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

Yes the Tigers got raked but there’s not much we can do now
          Sure you can. You start by firing the imbecile who made the trade in the first place.

Comment

• Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post

And that's saying something, considering we had Randy Smith from '95-'02.
            Ya know what those two have in common?

Chris Illitch.

Comment

• It kind of all goes back to this idea that you need to trade valuable players at the deadline to jump start your rebuild. It rarely works, you can name a few trades where the prospects turn out to be something, but the vast majority of the time the team getting the vet wins the trade.

Dombrowski understood this and traded a lot of single A prospects for established vets that helped build the team. It worked wonderfully even if they didn't ultimately win a World Series title. At the end the critics latched on the Euge io Suarez trade of where the Tigers went wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                It kind of all goes back to this idea that you need to trade valuable players at the deadline to jump start your rebuild. It rarely works, you can name a few trades where the prospects turn out to be something, but the vast majority of the time the team getting the vet wins the trade.

Dombrowski understood this and traded a lot of single A prospects for established vets that helped build the team. It worked wonderfully even if they didn't ultimately win a World Series title. At the end the critics latched on the Euge io Suarez trade of where the Tigers went wrong.
                Tigers fans remain terrified of giving away the next John Smoltz.

Comment

• They'd still be shit now if they still had Verlander. I go back to what I said about his resurgence. Does he get back to form on some level here? Sure. Does it remain long-term and propel the team to being a winner? Absolutely not. There are other factors at play that would not have changed. At some point no matter how professional you are losing and especially losing as a pitcher without run support takes its toll. It's an ass trade because they got nothing of substance for him. Not because keeping him would have made a difference.

Maybe they gamble and get better value in the offseason or the next year's deadline but that's not guaranteed. I just don't see this dream scenario in which Verlander stays and the team is a contender. Pitching isn't even the problem now, it's still very much bats. It will probably remain bats while they keep putting their faith in strikeout champ power hitters in a ballpark that doesn't reward it. Every time they find someone that can actually hit it feels like luck.

Comment

• He was on that level when he was traded. Never trade a Hall of Fame player.

But they could have had him back this year, but they didn't even want to meet the 25 million dollar asking price so negotiations didn't go any further. They were more comfortable overpaying for a mediocre pitcher who won't return their calls.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

Tigers fans remain terrified of giving away the next John Smoltz.
                      Just remember this shit takes time, it's only been 5 seasons since the trade.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                        He was on that level when he was traded. Never trade a Hall of Fame player.

But they could have had him back this year, but they didn't even want to meet the 25 million dollar asking price so negotiations didn't go any further. They were more comfortable overpaying for a mediocre pitcher who won't return their calls.
                        Miggy is certainly a HOF player. He is doing well this year. Under his 2014 contract, he is being paid $32 million this year and next, plus there is an $ 8 million buyout after 2024.

When you consider his production over the last three years or so, I think "overpaid" is an appropriate description. If they could trade Miggy at the deadline, that would be good, IMO.

Verlander was a separate case. He was a HOF pitcher still doing well. I've never understood why they traded him for "pocket lint" as someone said. Who would you have more wanted on your team the last 3 years, Miggy or Verlander? That is not a close call.

Comment

• DaGeezer
                          Even with Verlander the Tigers were struggling to be a .500 team with most of it's key players tied to payroll old and no longer able to produce to the levels needed to be contenders.
                          There was no youth coming up to think that was going to change either.
                          And Verlander at the top of his game only got starts once every 5 days.
                          Trading him wasn't in question, it had to be done. There was no point keeping him when you had nowhere near the rest of the team to win with him.

People can argue till the cows come home that they should have gotten perennial all-stars in return - whatever.

End of the day he was in purgatory with the Tigers, their days had long since passed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
                            DaGeezer
                            Even with Verlander the Tigers were struggling to be a .500 team with most of it's key players tied to payroll old and no longer able to produce to the levels needed to be contenders.
                            Trading him wasn't in question, it had to be done. There was no point keeping him when you had nowhere near the rest of the team to win with him.

People can argue till the cows come home that they should have gotten perennial all-stars in return - whatever.

End of the day he was in purgatory with the Tigers, their days had long since passed.
                            That’s pretty much my take on things as well. They could have kept spending in FA but I don’t think there was anyone special that off season to change our stars.

That said they could have prob waited until the off season for a better market for Verlander
                            F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
                              DaGeezer

You will carry the water for anything the Tigers do.

Comment

• It only "needed to be done," if you believed Chris I.'s bullshit that the Tigers weren't sustainable, which was (and is) an outright lie.
                                Last edited by chemiclord; July 13, 2022, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X