Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Ilitch Might Be Worse Owner Than Ford Family

Chris Ilitch does not convey any confidence that his sports teams are ever going to turn it around.

#birdsarentreal

Comment

• Chris certainly has the raw talent to be worse. He's a genuine five-tool fool. But he's gonna need longevity to supplant the WOAT.

Comment

• For years, the argument on Illitch on the Tigers is that he would not spend. Well he did spend last offseason. So not sure you can say he is cheap now.

Now you can argue the money was not spent well. But it was spent.

That the Ford family are awful owners and the GOAT of bad owners. I would say there are a lot worse owners throughout history.

Donald Sterling Yawkey (Red Sox owner)
        Daniel Snyder

come to mind.
        2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• The Tigers are a whopping 18th in payroll, and still quite a bit below even the league average. He spent the bare minimum to keep fans invested.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post
            For years, the argument on Illitch on the Tigers is that he would not spend. Well he did spend last offseason. So not sure you can say he is cheap now.

That the Ford family are awful owners and the GOAT of bad owners. I would say there are a lot worse owners throughout history.

Daniel Snyder

come to mind.
            You forgot Bill Bidwell and Bill Wurtz of the Chicago Blackhawks.

Note that the 3 worst Owners have a first name of William/ Bill.
            "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
            My friend Ken L

Comment

• Daniel Snyder could absolutely get there as well, and has the benefit of being an off-the-field All-Douche as well.

Yawkey is also pretty close, but the Red Sox actually made the World Series twice during his ownership. The Cardinals under Bidwell also made a Super Bowl. None of them were quite to WCF's reign of ineptitude.

The WOAT set a truly low bar, and any challenger to his title is gonna have to dig a damn deep hole and stay in that pit for a very long time.

Comment

• Daniel Snyder has that combination of never winning, being a scumbag, and consistent organizational chaos. He might be the worst in recent memory.
                Donald Sterling (Clippers), Robert Sarver (Suns)… plenty of bad ones to bring up.

Chris Ilitch comes across as an owner that’s completely oblivious or doesn’t care about the Tigers. Either way, it’s bad. Scary times for the Detroit Tigers… Watching that Chris Ilitch interview does indeed worry me.
                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• To be the WOAT, you have to be bad... really bad. But at the same time not be so disgusting and deplorable that you destroy yourself. That's what happened to Donald Sterling, for example. Dude had it all to be the WOAT, but then he had to dig so deep that the NBA forced him to sell. Truly, an opportunity wasted. Ya love to hate to see it. Snyder might have to be careful or even the NFL might act.

Ford was smart about it; he turned his vices into virtues. For example, he made his drinking buddies high ranking officials in his organization and called it "loyalty." He sneered at fans, gave Millen an extension, and called it "friendship."

Comment

• The article is right on the money about Chris Ilitch. There was about a two week span when the Ilitch's were going to own the Pistons, thankfully he quibbled over 25-50 million dollars in that valuation and declined to buy the team. He probably cost.himself 500 million with that blunder.

He is a bad owner, his 10-12 years running things for the Tigers have shown not to expect anything other than cellar dwelling. To try and put a positive light on this terrible season shows how out of touch he is, Principal Skinner in more clued in.
                    Last edited by froot loops; July 4, 2022, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post
                      For years, the argument on Illitch on the Tigers is that he would not spend. Well he did spend last offseason. So not sure you can say he is cheap now.

Daniel Snyder

come to mind.
                      Chris Ilitch is cheap and when he does spend he will overspend for the midtier guy than go for the top guy. If you don't spend every year, you are doomed especially with the always shitty Tiger farm system. Their prized pick Torkelson can't hit major league fastballs.

In MLB if you are going to rely on your farm system, you better spend a ton of money on the infrastructure, you can be sure they are cheap there as well.

Comment

• They are on a nice little win streak. Greene has really added some energy to the team. He’s been batting lead off.

Comment

• The Tork thing is weird. He seems to be pressing and way too selective. He’s sitting on way too many good pitches. He just needs to go out and hit and not think as much.

Comment

• Hill was good yesterday. We’ve been getting some decent pitching from the SP depth in the minors. You are seeing the emphasis on SP in the draft come to fruition.

Any chance we see Madden this year? I think the dude is pretty much ready to go. He was an awesome pick.

Comment

• The draft is in a few weeks. It seems we’re focused on college hitters. I wonder if Kumar is an option. He’s pitched 5 games for an Indy league team and has touched 98. Kumar is another guy who doesn’t need a lot of seasoning.

Comment

• Originally posted by The King View Post
                                The Tork thing is weird. He seems to be pressing and way too selective. He’s sitting on way too many good pitches. He just needs to go out and hit and not think as much.
                                Looked at fangraphs stats of Tork late last night. It looks like he is having some bad luck on FBs. His xavg (expected batting average) is 60 points lower. His xslg (expected slugging) is like 110+ points lower. I would expect that will change over the rest of the season.
                                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                                X