No announcement yet.

Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verlander had 10/5 rights. If he didn't want to go to Houston, the trade doesn't happen. As it went down, they didn't get his okay unt a minute or two before the deadline.

As to the talent goes. They got 3 of the Astros top 10 prospects at the time. You couldn't foresee the numerous injuries Perez was going to have. At the time he was considered a young rising Frontline starter. Cameron had swing and miss but an idea at the plate (not unlike his father). Rogers has been pretty much as advertised
    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Yeah, and for Verlander, they should have gotten all 10 of them, or no deal.

Comment

• The amount of times Whitley excuses that historically bad trade astounds me.

Comment

• Regardless of how good Verlander is, if he were still here the tigers would still be shit.

Comment

• But I do want a GM that can get 5 or more seasons of Hall of Fame output for 3 of your top 10 prospects. If you do your math correctly, you can get 3 hall of Fame players.

Comment

• Originally posted by JGSpartan View Post
              Regardless of how good Verlander is, if he were still here the tigers would still be shit.
              Yeah because they went ahead with the stupid, pointless, dismal rebuild to pocket profits.

Comment

• So they should have kept Verlander and signed more? How long should they be expected to be paying luxury tax without results?

Comment

• But Chris Illitch told us that payroll was unsustainable! He'd never lie!!!

Comment

• Believing they should spend up to a competitive payroll until they look ready to push for a World series and not expecting luxury tax level spending when they are failing can both be true.

Comment

• They could have easily got under the luxury tax, they didn't have to have a fire sale that put them into the wilderness where they still are. A total abject failure versus worrying if Chris Ilitch pays a small tax.

Comment

• But yes, they should have kept Verlander because as I argued at the time you are going to get fleeced because he is going to be pitching into his 40s. The did get fleeced and they have been awful since. The comp when he came into the league was Nolan Ryan, it is still valid today, in fact he is better than Ryan ever was.

When you have a homegrown Hall of Fame player, you keep that player.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post

Yeah because they went ahead with the stupid, pointless, dismal rebuild to pocket profits.
                          They weren't pocketing shit if they had to keep not only Verlander, but a bunch of the overpaid guys not carrying their weight anymore AND bringing in everything you'd have to bring in to make keeping Verlander actually mean something. For 3 years prior to that trade the Tigers - with all that payroll money they were already spending were barely able to break .500.

In layman's terms, they had missed their window of opportunity - and to extend it they had to trade guys that were un-tradeable.

Comment

• Yeah, because what they did was so fruitfull. 7 years on in the rebuild and they are worse off and starting a new rebuild. But they pocketed all kinds of profits.

You guys will go decades preaching patience with rebuilds, whether it is the Lions Tigers or Red Wings. Just give a few more years!

Comment

• I never said anything about preaching patience in baseball. I've said Hockey takes longer. Football you should know by year 3. Baseball can be bought to an extent but you still need to hit on some home grown pieces. I don't think they should have cut under 120-130mil under normal circumstances but I also don't know what the number should have been given Covid.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                                The amount of times Whitley excuses that historically bad trade astounds me.
                                Where was the excuse? The results on this trade speak for itself but if you don't look at what was known at the time. Then you are missing important context

But I can see the logic of the talent coming back.

A Guy that was thought to be a Frontline starter a notch below Julio Urias.

A CF with an excellent glove power/speed combo. Willing to take a walk.

An excellent defensive c that might hite ought to be a reg.starter
                                Last edited by Whitley; October 22, 2022, 01:56 AM.
                                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Working...
                                X