Detroit Tigers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
    Yeah, because what they did was so fruitfull. 7 years on in the rebuild and they are worse off and starting a new rebuild. But they pocketed all kinds of profits.

You guys will go decades preaching patience with rebuilds, whether it is the Lions Tigers or Red Wings. Just give a few more years!
    Nobody wants to have to go through a rebuild - but they built that team where they were forced to.
    They traded away any young player worth a shit to the point they had nothing on the farm.
    They signed guys to lucrative contracts in their declining years - so much so they were choked with "dead" money trapped in under-productive players relative to what they were getting paid.

There are two absolutes here:
    1) Yes, they were fleeced in the trade.
    2) No, they weren't winning shit if they kept Verlander - and hadn't for 3 years.
    Only people who would think that number 2 is wrong is people expecting other team to trade their best young players for wooden nickels OR that they should have ran a 300+ million payroll - because that is what it would have took to carry all this dead weight AND bring in established players - who don't come cheap.

Comment

• Yep, not to mention Verlander had a say. He could have vetoed any deal. Someone wrote a great article about a year after the deal about how it went down. Literally to the last minute. I think the Astros GM was in the shower. They had Verlander on the phone. There were a lot of moving parts. The big shame is Perez went down, but them’s the breaks.

It was a $ dump on our part, too. It also resulted in us losing so much that we landed Home That was Mize, who is also hurt…

Comment

• Boot leather must be tasty. That's the only reason I can think of why all these fans are happily carrying Chris Illitch's water.

Comment

• I think Jackson Jobe is gonna be the ace long term. It took him a minute ... but he came up big at the end of the season. He's the best arm in the system
          WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post
            I think Jackson Jobe is gonna be the ace long term. It took him a minute ... but he came up big at the end of the season. He's the best arm in the system
            You should hear the bitching from some corners of the fan base still upset of taking Jobe.
            2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post

You should hear the bitching from some corners of the fan base still upset of taking Jobe.
              Yeah not surprising ... I get it
              WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Well the whole idea was to save cash by taking Jobe so that the Tigers could draft a Ty Madden-like prospect with the next pick. Madden slipped in the draft and the Tigers benefited from it. Perhaps one of the rare decent moves by Avila in hindsight. Jobe and Madden with potential. We’ll see in the future …

Yankees or Dodgers won’t win the World Series this year. I consider that a successful MLB season!​
                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                  Boot leather must be tasty. That's the only reason I can think of why all these fans are happily carrying Chris Illitch's water.
                  Agreed, I'll never get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                    Boot leather must be tasty. That's the only reason I can think of why all these fans are happily carrying Chris Illitch's water.
                    Saying a rebuild was necessary does not mean anyone thinks it has been done well. That's the easily understandable thing that you don't understand. You'd rather create a strawman.

Comment

• Actually, a lot of people told us it was being done well for 3 or 4 years after the Verlander trade. A lot of people posted glowing articles about the farm any time chemiclord and I would complain a out how rudderless the organization was.

Comment

• Wouldn't have mattered, JV sucks in big games. You can't win with that guy.

Comment

• Yep. The farm was loaded, we were told. Top 5 farm in the league, we were told. The farm, the farm, the farm. It was just SO good on the farm.

Comment

• The farm was loaded but then Avila made the mistake of promoting them to the big leagues where their value dropped, instead of trading them for proven players.
                            "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

• This winter is going to be wild. Btw, we just hired the longtime scouting director from the friggin Rays. We’re going to see some wild trades very soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by mason reese View Post
                                The farm was loaded but then Avila made the mistake of promoting them to the big leagues where their value dropped, instead of trading them for proven players.
                                This is the truth that Dombrowski understood. The mark of a good GM is to figure out what prospects to.keeo and what to trade.

Comment

Working...
                                X