No announcement yet.

Lions News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green — who started at the Associated Press in Detroit in the 1950s and joined The Detroit News in the 1960s — seemed destined to go into sports. He attended the same prep school as future Lions owner William Clay Ford, and the same college, Brown University, as future Penn State football coach Joe Paterno. He grew up playing sports in New York, too, though, it was pretty clear he'd make a better writer than a player.

Jeffrey Citrin told a story of when Green was third-string on his junior varsity football team, and on game day, came down with a nasty flu. Green didn't want anyone to notice he was missing, so he sent younger sister Glenna, then 13, in his place, wearing his uniform, pants and helmet.

"After the game concluded, it belatedly occurred to young Jerry that there had been a risk that even third-stringers might be brought into the game," Jeffrey said. "So he sheepishly asked his 13-year-old sister, who was riding the bench that whole game, what she would've done if the coach had instructed her to jump onto the field. To Jerry's pride, and to Jerry's horror, mom replied, of course she would've run onto the field. A sibling rivalry, indeed."

Glenna Citrin wasn't able to attend the funeral in person, so she watched a livestream — fitting for Green, who kept up with the technology; he was a prolific texter, and had an iPhone — and sent a message, delivered by Jeffrey.

The siblings hadn't seen each other in person in some time, but frequently emailed and texted. Green, an 11-time Michigan sportswriter of the year, would send along his latest columns in The Detroit News.

"Jerry, I will miss your letters," Glenna said, through Jeffrey. "I miss you greatly. You were a gift to so many people."

There were lots of former colleagues at Wednesday's funeral, from both Detroit dailies. Former Tiger Dan Petry was in attendance, paying respects to a reporter who was more than that to him. When Petry first moved into Green's beloved Grosse Pointes, Green took Petry to lunch so they could go over the best places for Petry to eat.

Green's casket was flanked by elegant bouquets of flowers, as well as a 13-fold American flag, remembering his service in the Navy, and a Michigan football jersey, from his day in 2021 as an honorary captain.

He was interred at White Chapel Cemetary in Troy.

"We want to thank God for the gift of life for Jerry," said Deacon Michael Stach, of St. Thomas More Catholic Church in Troy. "He has touched so many lives, by his writings, his journalism…and emotionally.

"I know he probably would love to get the Lions to the Super Bowl. It didn't happen, but hey…there's hope."

Gage, a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame who like Green also is in the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame, recalled several stories about life on the road with Green. Once, in the Caribbean, Green rented a boat and set sail, figuring with his Navy experience, it would be no sweat. The boat capsized. He was rescued by a couple who he just so happened to see at dinner that night. He went up and thanked them, and said, "I'm such a klutz." The woman responded, "Our last name is Klutz."

Gage interrupted his eulogy to take a "phone call" from Green — complete with the five-second delay on the other end when answering, a staple of Green calls for years (and nobody knows why).

"You haven't seen Joe Falls yet?" Gage asked, speaking of Green's longtime colleague — and fellow sports columnist — at The News. "Well, I'll tell you this, Jerry, you'll probably hear him before you see him."

"No, no, no, no, no, don't put Sparky (Anderson) on the phone," Gage said, of the Tigers' legendary late manager, drawing laughs in the funeral home. "He won't stop talking. But tell him hello."

"You're up there with a lot of good friends, I know that."

Gage then told the story about how he and Green came to always tell each other, "Hum baby!" That was a phrase introduced to them by Roger Craig, the Tigers' pitching coach in the 1980s. Craig used it as a hello, and also as a way to pump up his players.

Eventually, for Gage and Green, "Hum baby" not only became a hello, but also a farewell.

"And I want to say to you, Jerry, my dear friend, this is the last time I will say it to you," Gage said.

"Hum baby."

tpaul@detroitnews.com

Twitter: @tonypaul1984

​​
    "I hope to see the Lions in the Super Bowl before I die"
    My friend Ken L

Comment

• Note that this was written before the former Baltimore player that was just cut signed with Atlanta. This article is still important to read though.

Article is broken into 4 parts.

How Lions positioned themselves to secure key free agents when they became bargains

By Colton Pouncy
      Mar 28, 2023

PHOENIX — The NFL’s owners meetings took place this week, and the Lions were well-represented in Arizona.

General manager Brad Holmes and coach Dan Campbell were on hand to discuss the team’s offseason to date. From the newfound depth in the secondary to a discussion on how the team’s draft strategy has changed after free agency, there was quite a bit to talk about.

Let’s discuss.

Key free-agent additions

This was the first time Holmes spoke publicly since free agency began, and he took time to offer his scouting reports on a few of the key players added.

· CB Cam Sutton: “He is a guy that can play outside, and he can play nickel, but you hear us talk about it all the time — he’s a football player, man. He’s a football player, and he doesn’t mind doing the dirty work in both phases. He’s gritty, he’s physical. He’s a very smart football player, and I think that’s gonna bode well for us.” — Holmes

· CB Emmanuel Moseley: “Moseley was another one that he just fit our style, and he’s another kid that’s got versatility. He can play outside, he can play inside, and look — if Moseley didn’t get hurt last year, I don’t even know if we would’ve been able to really even be in the range to even acquire him. That’s how hot (of a) start he was off to.” — Holmes

· RB David Montgomery: “He’s a very good football player. He’s one of the guys me and Dan talked about a lot when we played (the Bears). I mean, yes, you’re definitely concerned about (Justin) Fields’ running, but really concerned about David Montgomery. He’s a hard guy to bring down. I mean, ever since college and Iowa State, he’s always kind of been at the top of forced missed tackles. He’s just, he’s a hard guy; he’s a tough runner; he’s good in the passing game, and he’s a good runner. He’s a great addition. — Holmes

· DB C.J. Gardner-Johnson: “I’ll tell you what, when we talk about corners and talk about versatility, what we call position flex, C.J. was a name we’ve heard (defensive coordinator) Aaron Glenn talk about for the past couple years. … (so) we knew that was the fit of what we’re trying to bring. You see he’s a real dawg. He’s another guy that’s a smart football player. Again, he was another one we didn’t know if it was going to happen or no, but we were fortunate enough that the market came to a place that we were able to make it happen.” — Holmes

The general theme with these moves is the Lions were in on players they might not have otherwise been in on if it weren’t for varying circumstances. The Lions expected to bring back running back Jamaal Williams, but had a chance to add a younger back in Montgomery for a similar price. Moseley might not be here if he hadn’t torn his ACL. And Gardner-Johnson reportedly chose a one-year deal over a longer deal with the Eagles. These deals have a way of materializing when you least expect it, and because the Lions did their due diligence, they were able to get them done. They’re better for it. And they might not be done.

​continued..
      My friend Ken L

Comment

• Campbell confirmed the team’s interest in free agent defensive lineman Calais Campbell, who’d bring a blend of veteran leadership and production. We’ll see if it comes to fruition.

Detroit’s side of the Williams saga

When free agency began, it felt like a foregone conclusion the Lions and Williams would reunite. The two sides had expressed mutual interest, with Williams going on various talk shows to discuss the Lions in 2023, and Holmes telling reporters at the combine he’d been in communication with Williams.

But a deal never materialized. The Lions signed Montgomery to a three-year, $18 million contract, and the Saints signed Williams to a three-year deal for $12 million. When asked about his departure at his introductory press conference, Williams had choice words about the way things went down.

“They been done with me. I could tell,” Williams told local media in New Orleans. “The offer they gave me I feel like was very just disrespectful and just showing that they really didn’t want me to be there like that. But it’s all love. I know my teammates, everybody there at the Detroit Lions have love for me and all that, but at the same time, it’s just we couldn’t come to terms on things. It’s just funny is all.”

Holmes’ side of the story painted a different picture.

“We wanted Jamaal back,” Holmes said. “Me and Jamaal had a good conversation at the end of the season about his desire to want to come back. When we left the combine, we had a conversation with his agent probably like either right before or after I spoke to you guys there. (I ) thought that it was heading in the right direction and I love Jamaal.

“… From a budgeting and planning standpoint of pre-free agency, we had an allotment of resources set aside, really for Jamaal. (We) didn’t really even consider another running back higher than that amount of resources that we set aside for Jamaal. Business happens and, you know, that’s part of this business. It just didn’t work. We tried, but when the market crystallized and it got to a point where David was in play, kind of within the range of resources we had set aside, that’s when we went ahead and went forward with David, which we’re extremely excited about.”

Draft plan, post-free agency

The draft is used to build for the future. Free agency is for immediate needs. At least that’s how Holmes operates. His free agency haul addressed needs across the board and allowed for Detroit to be more flexible in the first round and beyond.

“Going back to the drafting for need, just a lot of mock drafts probably had us taking two DBs in the first round, at six and 18,” Holmes said. “Not going to say I never look at it, but obviously what we’ve done in free agency put us in a good position. But again, that doesn’t rule out that we won’t still take a DB. Again, it’s like I was (saying) about the defensive line back in St. Louis, just trying to just create a beast and just create a position of strength on our football team. But I do think that it’s given us (the) flexibility to really go any direction that we want.”

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Regarding a double-dip at DB in mock drafts prior to free agency — guilty as charged. But it speaks to how things have changed. Back then, defensive back was by far the biggest need. Not so much anymore. These days, the prevailing theme is the Lions can do whatever they want in the draft. And they know it.

One other thing worth mentioning: Holmes’ line about creating a beast is interesting because it indicates he isn’t afraid to add to an existing strength. We saw that in 2021 when an already solid offensive line added Penei Sewell to the mix.

If the best player on their board at No. 6 or No. 18 happens to be an offensive lineman, and edge or even a corner, Holmes won’t hesitate to make it happen. Smart front offices put themselves in a position where they don’t have to draft solely for need. The Lions appear to be there right now. How’s that for a change of pace?

The Jalen Carter decision

The Lions have emphasized high-character players to start their rebuild. Williams and Alex Anzalone were added in free agency in the first year of the Holmes-Campbell regime. Foundational pieces like Sewell, Amon-Ra St. Brown and Aidan Hutchinson were added through the draft. It’s all been intentional and strategic, and Lions coaches believe they’re better for doing it this way.

But the Lions could find themselves in a position to bet on a player whom they might not have taken when this thing first started. In turn, it would be a bet on the locker room they’ve established helping a talented prospect who has some question marks on his resume find his way in the league. Potentially a prospect like Carter, who could be staring Detroit in the face at No. 6.

So, then, what might be the deciding factor? Football character.

“I would say football character is very important, very important,” Campbell said Tuesday. “Of course, the human being always will make the difference. We don’t want to bring in somebody that’s going to do something we’re all going to be sorry about. That’s not the idea. But usually, if you have high football character, the other is pretty good. I think it is case by case. You have to weigh how much is in that player. Is that player going to benefit your team or impact your team, and how consistent is it going to be? Then you have to make that determination.”

This is a process the Lions are going throughout right now. They’ll host Carter on a prospect visit here soon, where they should learn more about how he’s wired and where he’s at after an offseason full of headlines. In the meantime, Campbell elaborated on what he means by football character, answering the question with more questions.

Does a player give everything he has? Is he going snap-to-whistle? If not, is it a problem with laziness or a lack of proper coaching? This next month or so will help determine whether it’s worth taking a chance on a player who might not be an obvious fit character-wise.

Glenn told The Athletic recently he believes the Lions’ locker room is getting closer to the one he and Campbell had in New Orleans. That would suggest a locker room strong enough to handle whatever is added.

“I would say anytime you have a set culture, and anytime you have veterans who push the agenda and push that culture, you can just about bring anybody within your locker room,” Glenn said. “It doesn’t mean that you want to, but you can.”

Campbell’s comments Tuesday seemed to back those sentiments.

“If you feel like your foundation is set, you can get away with one, maybe two,” Campbell said. “Maybe.”

If Carter is there at No. 6, the Lions might have a decision to make. If he’s the pick, it could not only speak to how they feel about Carter but potentially about strength of their locker room and what they’ve built.

My friend Ken L

Comment

• Options at QB

The quarterback question remains a popular one, considering where the Lions are and what their future might look like. What’s been well-established is Detroit believes Jared Goff is capable of leading this team to the playoffs in 2023. He ended the year on a high note and played quality football, leading to praise from Holmes and Campbell throughout the offseason.

However, they’ve been careful not to mention Goff’s future beyond the 2023 season. At the combine last month, Campbell alluded to the fact that Goff won’t be around forever. Extension talks will be here sooner than later. Given where the quarterback market is, Goff could command a contract of around $40 million or more by the time those discussions come around.

Detroit must also factor in looming deals for young players it expects to be part of its core. Getting a young quarterback now and having him learn behind Goff until he’s ready to play could set the franchise up for the future — without having to worry about limited resources following a big-money QB contract. At the same time, there are quarterbacks you pay and figure everything else out later. Is Goff one of them?

That’s the question the Lions must eventually answer, and until they do, this discussion will linger. It’s why Holmes has had conversions with Goff, keeping him involved whether it’s simply upgrading the backup job, adding a mid- or late-round QB or potentially going young early in the draft and building for the future.

“I think the whole thing about that is transparency and communication,” Holmes said. “I communicated with Jared at the end of the season about — just like I told you guys at the combine — yeah, we got Jared, but we didn’t have anything else behind him, so just letting him know that, ‘Look, man, we got to get some more behind you.’

“I think we are in a unique position with all the picks that we have to add maybe a pretty talented guy if we go that direction. But again, it doesn’t have to be the first round; it doesn’t have to be the second round, it can be at any point. I just feel like we’re in a good place right now. But we just kind of keep the communication open.”

As Holmes mentioned, the Lions are in a unique position. They aren’t pressed for a quarterback like the Panthers, who had to trade the farm to move up from No. 9 to No. 1, or the Colts, who’ve yet to find an answer since Andrew Luck retired. The have five picks in the top 85 and eight picks overall to add some depth to the position behind Goff. At this point, the question might just be a matter of what level of player they’re looking to acquire via the draft.

Just don’t expect it to be Lamar Jackson. Campbell made that pretty clear Tuesday.

“Look, Lamar is a heck of a talent,” Campbell said. “Trying to defend that guy has been something else. We played them two years ago. But, man, we got a quarterback. So I’m like, ‘We got a quarterback and thank God we got one.’ So, we’re good. But man, he’s a heck of a talent.”

Colton Pouncy is a staff writer for The Athletic covering the Detroit Lions. He previously covered Michigan State football and basketball for the company, and covered sports for The Tennessean in Nashville prior to joining The Athletic. Follow Colton on Twitter @colton_pouncy

My friend Ken L

Comment

• So did the Lions sign Marvin Jones? He's probably lost a few steps ... but i like him better than Chark if he hasn't
              WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• While I'm a little underwhelmed at the Marvin Jones signing we could do a lot worse.
                F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                  While I'm a little underwhelmed at the Marvin Jones signing we could do a lot worse.
                  Its just a one year bandaid....They most likely draft a developmental WR unless they cant get one they really like, and maybe they thought Jones might help with the development of Jamo.

Comment

• I like Jones and the time he spent with us the first time but he’s a step back from Charks ceiling. But at the same time he’s a solid vet presence in the locker room and he’s a reliable WR.

It def puts us out of the drafting a WR high. I do hope we draft a TE in the first few rounds though
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Chark is soft
                      WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post
                        Chark is soft
                        He’s big and fast. In our offense he’d be a 3rd or 4th WR but he’s talented to be way more. I like him
                        F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Forsh View Post
                          So did the Lions sign Marvin Jones? He's probably lost a few steps ... but i like him better than Chark if he hasn't
                          Yes see story:

Originally posted by whatever_gong82 View Post
                          Lions bringing back Marvin Jones Jr. to bolster wide-receiving group

Nolan Bianchi

The Detroit News

Make it one, two, three "homecomings" now for the Detroit Lions this offseason.

Veteran wide receiver Marvin Jones Jr. announced via his Twitter on Wednesday that he will be returning to Detroit, where he spent five seasons from 2016-20. NFL Network insider Mike Garafolo reported the deal is for one year with a base salary of $3 million and incentives that can push the total to $5 million.

Jones, who turned 33 earlier this month, is third on Detroit's all-time touchdown reception list (36) behind only Calvin Johnson (83) and Herman Moore (62). Over five seasons with the Lions, he recorded an average of 62.2 receiving yards per game and 14.9 yards per catch.

The signing fills a void left by the departure of wide receiver D.J. Chark, who signed a one-year deal with the Carolina Panthers last week. Offensive lineman Graham Glasgow and linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin have also had reunions with the team after striking free-agent deals in recent weeks.

"I mean, when I was looking for places to go, that was something that was really enticing to me, just seeing how good they've been so far," Glasgow said last week.

Jones was a fifth-round pick by the Bengals in 2012 and spent his first three seasons in Cincinnati before signing a five-year, $40 million deal in Detroit during the 2016 offseason.

Following his tenure with the Lions, Jones joined the Jacksonville Jaguars on a two-year deal. He caught 73 passes for 832 yards and four touchdowns, but for the first time in his career, saw that production dip significantly last season as the Jaguars added several new weapons for young quarterback Trevor Lawrence. He caught 46 passes for 529 yards and three touchdowns over 16 games in 2022.

While it's probably safe to assume that Jones' best days are behind him, he has been far more durable than Chark recently. Jones missed just one game over his last two seasons; Chark missed six in his one and only season with Detroit.

nbianchi@detroitnews.com

Twitter: @nolanbianchi

Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post

He’s big and fast. In our offense he’d be a 3rd or 4th WR but he’s talented to be way more. I like him
                          Chark just had ankle and foot surgery. He was a big frustration last season, then finally got it together toward the end. I'm glad they opted for someone who is hopefully healthier and more consistent.

#birdsarentreal

Comment

Yeah and he's got a fucked up ankle that just had another surgery. The Lions gave him 10 million last year and his ankle started acting up immediately in the regular season. You may like him, but you can't project him to be available for the full season.

Comment

Can you imagine if they’d have traded up? It would have meant no McNeil for sure.

Let's remember this when someone wants to trade up. You give up two for one.
                              Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Dan Campbell embraces expectations for Lions in 2023

Posted by Charean Williams on March 29, 2023, 5:55 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Lions haven’t won a division title since 1993 when they were NFC Central champs.

Long snapper Jake McQuaide, now 35, is the only player on the team’s roster who might have a memory of that season. Head coach Dan Campbell was only a teenager.

The Lions, though, have the best odds of winning the division and Campbell is the favorite for coach of the year honors.

The team’s offseason thus far has Lions fans excited, other teams taking notice and Campbell embracing the expectations.

“It’s about raising expectations, you know?” Campbell said. “We’ve got to be thinking that way, and everything we do has to be with that type of purpose. Our standard has always been about winning, man. You’re trying to win every game, but ultimately, I think to take the next step, man, you’re shooting for the division.

“You win the division, and you get a home game, then the rest takes care of itself. That’s the next part of the process. Every team should want to go to the Super Bowl every year. . . . I think we’re positioned much better to swing with the big boys this year. Now I can’t tell you what that means in win totals, but that is the goal, man. We’ve got to go get this division.”

The Lions went 9-8 last season, their first winning season since 2017. They last went to the playoffs in 2016 and haven’t won a playoff game since 1991.
                                Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

Working...
                                X