Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought:

If Datsyuk decides to leave for Russia after this season.... could the Red Wings come to a deal with him to do a buyout to get some cap relief?
    I know he would do whatever is possible to help the franchise if he were to leave. Question is, would it actually help their cap hit?

Here is the link to Sportrac...

Anyone know for sure if that would work? Might help us in signing a replacement for him.

Comment

• What is wrong with the Wings? It is pretty simple.

1) Dats and Z are still the best players (though Larkin will soon claim that title) that the Wings have BUT Dats and Z are not better than what Tampa's top players are.

2) We are seeing what the loss of the Perfect Human meant to the Wings. Every since then the Wings have had to slot their defensemen higher than they should be. And that leaves the goalies that they have out on an island a lot more. Now, if they had a guy like a Hasek they might be able to get away with it but with what they have is not close to that quality.

3) Teams are built through the draft these days and that means a lot of teams have sucked hard to get those elite young players. Detroit has not done that. And with better scouting by all the teams it is a lot harder to get those type of steals.

4) The Salary Cap. The days of going out and buying whoever they wanted are long gone. With the cap the way it is--it makes young players extremely valuable. And with more teams able to lock up their top level guys it makes FA a lot thinner. And this has led to #5

5) Overvaluing their younger players. I think nearly all teams do so though because of the way the system is set up makes it so. It can also lead to problematic contracts (Howard's is not one of them though. If he was a starter these days it would not be so bad. And having two goalies is not a bad thing either).

When Dats and Z finally hang up their skates. The Wings will not make the playoffs. And probably spend a couple years being bad. And I can imagine the fans will bitch about it as well.
      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• I thought it was hilarious that a few days ago Blashill told the press AA wouldn't be getting any added ice time because he hadn't earned it or that he's not elite or something to that affect.

Way to go dummy.
        F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Habib21 View Post
          Thought:

If Datsyuk decides to leave for Russia after this season.... could the Red Wings come to a deal with him to do a buyout to get some cap relief?
          I know he would do whatever is possible to help the franchise if he were to leave. Question is, would it actually help their cap hit?

Here is the link to Sportrac...

Anyone know for sure if that would work? Might help us in signing a replacement for him.
          As far as I am aware, the only thing that could eliminate Datsyuk's cap hit would be to trade his rights to another team. Which IS theoretically possible, depending on how many teams could use the contract to reach the salary floor that year. Datsyuk's contact would be quite handy for that purpose, as it wouldn't require any cash on hand and would be for that one year as well.

Comment

• Right about the time I start ragging on Helm, he has a pretty good game.........go figure.

Originally posted by froot loops View Post
            They played well tonight.
            Originally posted by DanO View Post
            Yes they did.

Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
            It'd be really nice if coaches would make changes out of more than desperation.
            There is an old saying. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Problem is, Blash is too slow seeing that it's broke.

Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
            Andreas Athanasius on the 4th line scores! Yeah he's only 21 years old Blashill but it counts!
            Ya, go figure. He hasn't earned more ice time so in order to earn more, he has to play better than everyone else in the little time he is allotted.

He did that yesterday, wonder if he "earned" anything?

Oh, wait! Since he scored and the Wings won, he will probably get played so much in the first and second he will have no legs in the third.
            I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Whitley is totally right on #2, it is comical how much they miss the guy. That is why you had to try and keep him playing as long as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                Whitley is totally right on #2, it is comical how much they miss the guy. That is why you had to try and keep him playing as long as possible.
                Yeah, I'll cop to it right now that I had that one pegged REALLY wrong at the time. It's amazing how even after losing a couple steps how much better Lidstrom was than anyone else the Wings had and have on the roster.

Hell, put #5 in skates right NOW, as he is, and he'd probably be on the first pairing.

I get that Lidstrom was one of (if not the best) pure defensemen in the history of the game, but that's still a damning statement to the rest of that squad. Kronwall has been the only one who even belonged on the same rink as the guy since he left in terms of overall ability. Smith and DeKeyser are a decent second pair, I suppose, but those are guys that needed to be the top pairing at this point.

Comment

• I can't remember outrage by the fans like this where the Coach actually made the changes almost everyone was calling for. Now I don't think Blashill listened to the fans of course, but Smith could have been the number #1 star easily along with AA #2 and Mrazek #3

Glendening, who teamed with Riley Sheahan (who stepped it up) and Abby to form a modern-day version of The Grind Line to stymie Kucherov, Tyler Johnson and Killorn, which had destroyed the Red Wings in the first two games with 15 points. None of those three got as much as a shot on goal Sunday, while Abdelkader, Sheahan and Glendening combined for five.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                    I thought it was hilarious that a few days ago Blashill told the press AA wouldn't be getting any added ice time because he hadn't earned it or that he's not elite or something to that affect.

Way to go dummy.
                    This is for you, Jaadam.

Brad Galli ‏@BradGalli [ame="https://twitter.com/BradGalli/status/722114103708401664"]34m34 minutes ago[/ame] Jeff Blashill said Andreas Athanasiou on the Red Wings power play "is something we'll look at."
                    I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                      Smith and DeKeyser are a decent second pair, I suppose, but those are guys that needed to be the top pairing at this point.
                      We got really lucky signing DeKeyser when we did. Had he not popped on the scene we'd be seriously f'ed. He has his deficiencies but he's probably the best D man we have.

Kronwall is a shell of what he used to be.
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Does Kronwall ever hit anyone anymore?...He used to light up opponents all the time now I hardly ever even notice him.

Comment

• that too
                          F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Not anymore, Redmond said about Kronwall the other night the big Nikita Kucherov in the playoffs this time last year that got him a suspension (for a clean hit) was his last big hit (?)

Comment

• Yeah I remember that one. That was some bs to be suspended for that one.
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                                As far as I am aware, the only thing that could eliminate Datsyuk's cap hit would be to trade his rights to another team. Which IS theoretically possible, depending on how many teams could use the contract to reach the salary floor that year. Datsyuk's contact would be quite handy for that purpose, as it wouldn't require any cash on hand and would be for that one year as well.

Albom writes:

(Datsyuk) also said that if the Wings wanted to trade his rights to another team as a salary cap dump, he would accept that, understanding that it was strictly business (Milstein said the Wings have told him that would not happen).

I like Holland, but if that shit is true, then he has no place being the GM of the Red Wings. His loyalty should be to the betterment of the team, not to one player. If Dats leaves and he is able to move the contract to help the team sign someone else... or give our own players better raises.....and doesn't?!?! Then he just lost the respect of the players in the club along with the fan base.

Comment

Working...
                                X