X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 49ers sign Jamar Taylor, waive Teez Tabor

Posted by Josh Alper on July 6, 2020, 2:52 PM EDT

Getty Images

The 49ers made a couple of moves at cornerback on Monday.

The team announced that they have signed veteran Jamar Taylor to their roster. His arrival coincides with the departure of Teez Tabor, who has been waived with a non-football injury.

According to Tom Pelissero of NFL Media, Tabor suffered a Jones fracture in his foot while working out on his own and has had surgery.

Taylor was a 2013 second-round pick by Miami and he spent three years with the Dolphins before moving on to the Browns, Cardinals, Broncos, Seahawks and Falcons. He played in three games for the Falcons and nine games for the Seahawks last season.

He has 242 tackles, three interceptions, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery over the course of his career.

Tabor was a Lions second-round pick in 2017 and spent most of last season on the 49ers practice squad after failing to make the roster in Detroit. He has 42 tackles in 22 regular season appearances.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• NFL Network analysts who are former players weighed in on their best career decisions, and Nate Burleson said his best move was coming to the Motor City. “I signed in the hopes of helping an underdog become relevant and ended up falling in love with a city that needed it.”
      Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Tahir Whitehead: Luke Kuechly is Luke Kuechly and I’m me

Posted by Josh Alper on July 15, 2020, 2:19 PM EDT

Getty Images

Linebacker Tahir Whitehead wore No. 59 with the Lions and Raiders, but he didn’t make a big deal about changing numbers once he signed with the Panthers as a free agent this offseason.

Whitehead will be wearing No. 52 and the Panthers are unlikely to have anyone wearing No. 59 anytime soon as it was the number Luke Kuechly wore during his stellar career with the team. Kuechly retired after last season and Whitehead is expected to fill his spot in the lineup once the team hits the field.

Just as Whitehead didn’t make a big deal about his number, he’s not making a big deal about trying to mimic Kuechly on the field.

“For me, it’s just a matter of I’m my biggest critic,” Whitehead said, via the team’s website. “At the end of the day, Luke is Luke and I’m me. He plays the game differently than I do and vice versa. So I just have to go out there and make sure that I can execute my ability and my job within the scheme,” Whitehead said. “So making sure that I’m a good presence in the locker room, a good presence in the linebacker room, and making sure that I’m leading by example and not doing all of the rah-rah stuff. That’s just it.”

Kuechly has rejoined the organization in a scouting role and Whitehead said he’d “be a fool not to take advantage of him still being in the building” as he tries to help the Panthers Defense in its first season with head coach Matt Rhule at the helm.

Comment

• Thanks Quintricia...

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...pn/3287450001/

Ex-Lion Darius Slay ranked No. 4 cornerback in NFL by ESPN

The Detroit NewsPublished 12:14 p.m. ET July 16, 2020CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

The Lions don’t have one of ESPN’s top 10 cornerbacks for the 2020 NFL season, but there is a familiar name on the list: Darius Slay.

The former Lion and current Eagle checked in at No. 4 in ESPN’s latest series of rankings on Thursday, which are based on a survey from 50 NFL executives, coaches, scouts and players.

Darius Slay (Photo: Daniel Mears, Detroit News)

Slay, 29, was ranked anywhere from No. 2 to No. 12 by the pollsters.

"Slay is a guy you'll go into Sunday with all day," an unnamed NFL coordinator said. "He'll play man coverage all day — he'll battle, not afraid to get in spaces, match up with anyone, and he can run."

Slay is a three-time Pro Bowler and earned All-Pro first-team honors in 2017 when he recorded 60 tackles, 26 passes defensed and eight interceptions. During his seven seasons in Detroit, he tallied 104 passes defensed and 19 interceptions in 103 games.

ADVERTISING

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler noted Slay has allowed the league’s third-lowest completion percentage as the nearest defender — 51.8% — over the past three seasons.

"He's got natural ball skills and awareness in the open field, which will help him age well," an unnamed NFC defensive assistant coach said.

Slay signed a three-year, $50 million extension with Philadelphia after he was traded in March for a third- and fifth-round draft pick, which the Lions used on Ohio State guard Jonah Jackson and Wisconsin receiver Quintez Cephus.

New England’s Stephen Gilmore, Los Angeles’ Jalen Ramsey and Buffalo’s Tre’Davious White took the top three spots on ESPN’s list.

Comment

• Sooooooo Ebron is still taking shots at Detroit fans....

Eric Ebron Can't Put Detroit In The Past | 97.1 The Ticket

What a sad mf

Comment

• On a positive note; Ebron almost formed a complete sentence between the excessive use of Bieber-grade smileys and the heavy use of prepubescent abbreviations. I bet a couple more years of skoolin' and he could even drop the Little Bitches Thesaurus and convey a rational thought all on his lonesome. If anyone could juggle Stafford's balls with his eyes closed, it was Ocho Blinko.

Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• Damn I wish he was wrong!
                Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• He is. No games = No wins. Not a winning season.

Comment

• Chargers cut six to get to 80 players

Posted by Josh Alper on August 1, 2020, 6:20 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Chargers aren’t waiting to drop to the 80-player limit put in place for this summer by an agreement between the NFL and NFLPA.

The team announced on Saturday that they have dropped defensive tackle P.J. Johnson, tackle Koda Martin, wide receiver Andre Patton, tight end Jared Rice, safety Roderic Teamer and tight end Andrew Vollert from the roster. The moves leave the Chargers with 80 players, which means they will not have to work in split squads at training camp.

Patton and Teamer each saw action with the Chargers last season. Patton had six catches for 56 yards in 13 games while Teamer had 40 tackles, an interception and a sack while making six starts and seven overall appearances.

Martin and Vollert spent last season on injured reserve. Johnson was on the team’s practice squad last year and Rice was an undrafted free agent signing this year.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

I wondered what happened to him.

Comment

• Rams expect A’Shawn Robinson back at some point this season

Posted by Josh Alper on August 10, 2020, 7:00 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Rams placed defensive tackle A'Shawn Robinson on the non-football injury list on Saturday and it’s unclear when he might be able to rejoin the active roster.

Players are often placed on the list for a short period at the start of camp before being activated, but head coach Sean McVay said on Sunday that they don’t know when he’ll be back. McVay said only that they “look forward to being able to get him back at some point this season” from what’s an undisclosed injury at this point.

“This is just being precautionary with some things that we discovered,” McVay said in a video conference. “He was able really communicate clearly to us, so it was something that recently came about. It’s really not anything that’s too concerning, it’s more just really glad that we were able to get a hold of it early on. I’ve really been pleased with the way that its been handled over the last couple of days. But it was something that kind of surprised us. This wasn’t something that we expected, but based on the on-boarding physical process and all that it entailed we were able to come to some conclusions and learn some things that made this decision come about.”

Robinson signed with the Rams this offseason after four seasons with the Lions. He had 40 tackles, 1.5 sacks, two fumble recoveries and a forced fumble last season.

Comment

• Mike Daniels visiting Bengals

Posted by Charean Williams on August 9, 2020, 4:52 PM EDT

Getty Images

Veteran defensive tackle Mike Daniels is in Cincinnati, taking a physical, a COVID-19 test and meeting with the team, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports.

Daniels, 31, spent last season in Detroit.

He played nine games with two starts last season, making 10 tackles and a sack.

The Packers drafted him in the fourth round in 2012. Daniels played seven seasons in Green Bay.

For his eight-year career, Daniels has appeared in 111 games with 74 starts. He has made 235 tackles, 70 quarterback hits and 30 sacks.

Comment

• Jaguars sign Caraun Reid, visit with Tramaine Brock

Posted by Josh Alper on August 9, 2020, 4:27 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Jaguars had players opt out of the 2020 season on their defensive line and in the secondary this week and they’re moving to find some experienced replacements for them on the roster.

Agent Mike McCartney announced that his client Caraun Reid has signed with the team. He had four tackles in three starts for the Cardinals last season and has also seen time for the Cowboys, Lions and Chargers since entering the league in 2014.

Defensive tackle Al Woods opted out of playing and the Jaguars announced on Sunday that defensive tackles Brian Price and Dontavius Russell have been placed on injured reserve.

The Jags also saw cornerback Rashaan Melvin opt out and Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports veteran Tramaine Brock visited with the team Sunday. Brock played 10 games for the Cardinals last season before going on waivers and being claimed by the Titans. He played the final four games of the regular season and all three playoff outings for Tennessee.

Comment

• The pipeline goes both ways

DARIUS KILGODL, DETROIT LIONS

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Patriots are hosting free agent NT Darius Kilgo with the intent to sign him.

The organization brought in TE Jordan Leggett and Kilgo for COVID-19 testing and physicals before agreeing with both to deals. The 28-year-old missed the entire 2019 season with a torn quad, most recently taking the field for 11 appearances the year prior with Tennessee. New England would be Kilgo's third team in his last three (healthy) seasons.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
                            Aug 10, 2020, 1:46 PM

Comment

• Tavon Wilson signs with Indianapolis Colts

Comment

• Thank you Detroit! Appreciate all of the relationships made over the past 4 years on the field & in the community. Nothing but love for the lions organization & the city. ✊🏾
                                Nice to have a player not bashing the team on the way out.
                                "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X