Off Topic: Soccer and NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

Eh, there can be a LOT of camera angles to sort through. Giving them two minutes at absolute max is being overly generous.
    You do realize they spend more time just getting to and from the field of play to the hood, right?

Comment

• This happens in every sport, there are certain plays so egregious that make replay inevitable, but replay systems are never going to just overrule those plays.

Soccer has it good as far as reffing, the game itself doesn't have a lot of infractions to deal with. VAR has kind of exposed to weak spots in the rules in regards to handballs and offsides. The Women's World Cup exposed how strict interpretation can lead to too many penalty shots. Plus with some handballs the penalty shot is a way too punitive of a punishment.

And with the prevalence of offside calls I find the supposed advantage a player may have to be not an advantage at all. Look at the Pukki goal they called off, he wasn't offside but the Premier League said he was offside in the buildup. Whatever, if you look at the ensuing pass the defender with Pukki had dropped 5 feet back before Pukki received the pass, he was in a very good position to defend he just got beat.

Comment

• The issue I have with all replays in all sports is pretty simple. Whoever is reviewing it should be doing so from the same angles that the officials on the field are.
        People are quick to roast the officials based on views from angles they were never privy to in the first place.
        Now if that official isn't where he is supposed to be to make the proper call - that is where you track calls by officials for possible discipline down the road.

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of the "eye in the sky laser line" they use to make offside calls with. That call should be from the sideline, where the linesman is expected to make that call from in the first place.

Comment

• Can't speak for America, but here in Scotland, the people at Easter Road who "roast the officials" are usually a few sandwiches short of the full picnic. It's obvious to most people with half a brain that the referee cannot be in the correct place all of the time. Especially in the modern game when they're proper, fast athletes out there playing the game.

Big decisions in big games should always be correct. 2012 Cup Final v Jambos, freekick outside box, Thomson gives penalty, whole game FUCKED.

For me, (regarding the linesmans job) the laser after the fact is entertaining. Works both ways. When they give offside and the laser proves them correct by a few inches. Impressed. They deserve that credit because its a hard job.
          "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Go to a lower level basketball game and you'll see some vicious roasting. Soccer is quite quaint in that respect, there are just not that many things a ref has to call, Going into a basketball game you know there are more infractions they aren't going to call than they will call. My daughter plays on a good team and one of her teammates is an excellent goalie in soccer, she is tall, skinny with long arms and sharp elbows. She drives the opposition crazy with how she plays, some of it is because her skills as a goalie. But no matter the opposition they want to punch her and it causes issues all the time. It is the worst in summer leagues where score really doesn't matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
              It is the worst in summer leagues where score really doesn't matter
              Translation lost here a bit, buddy. What do you mean here?

And absolutely NAE DANGER of me going to a basketball game!
              "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• Summer leagues are just games on the weekend to work on their game, 20 minute halfs with a running clock. No real stakes in the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fraquar View Post
                  The issue I have with all replays in all sports is pretty simple. Whoever is reviewing it should be doing so from the same angles that the officials on the field are.
                  People are quick to roast the officials based on views from angles they were never privy to in the first place.
                  Now if that official isn't where he is supposed to be to make the proper call - that is where you track calls by officials for possible discipline down the road.

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of the "eye in the sky laser line" they use to make offside calls with. That call should be from the sideline, where the linesman is expected to make that call from in the first place.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLondonLion View Post
                    Its also awful being a fan at the game with VAR,

Comment

• FL, Fraq, Chemic, LL......., check this out. Worth the 5mins. No idea why this slipped my mind, especially as Scotland along with Morocco, were in the same group as Brazil & Norway.

Some refs were actually fantastic and brave......., but more importantly, CORRECT. This is great.

At the 1998 FIFA World Cup, Norway famously beat Brazil because of a penalty that turned into one of the most talked about moments of the event. Referee Esfa...

Comment

• Soccer is for kilt-wearing Scottish fairies with bedazzled nails.
                        Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Correct
                          "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• That 98 Cup was a disaster for the US.

What is interesting to note in that video is the Brazil goal would probably have been disallowed with today's VAR interpretation, he might have been armpit offside. The video is grainy and I don't have the technology to draw a line but it would be close.

Comment

• Disaster for Scotland as well. And the last time at a tournament for us Scots.

Scotland v Brazil opened the tournament and it was close. 2-1 defeat. I remember the day well. Watched it at a pub in Jordan Lane, Morningside, Edinburgh...... was wearing full kilt gear, and that place done great cheeseburgers. I had FOUR of them. Buttons and sporrans were bursting at the seams. That was the day I decided to cut back on the drink, the cheeseburgers, slim the fk down and get ma nails done.

Comment

• The Children 1 Everton 0

Comment

Working...
                                X