No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odds of the Pistons hitting on draft picks in the teens is very minimal.

At least when the Warriors, Celtics, and 76ers win these series, I can say it's been too easy to predict 3/4 of the conference finals teams for the 2nd year in a row. Probably more than just 2 in a row.

The NBA for you.
    AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• The odds of them hitting it with a high pick isn't good. They suck at drafting, when they had a high pick they picked Darko. I"d be fine with them pulling the chute and trading everything of note. But they were stuck before the season, they are stuck now. If they could unload contracts without giving up picks or taking worse contracts, go for it. But they suck at drafting and have pretty much been a piss poor organization since Davidson died. Tanking isn't going to change that, you have to hope the latest front office is better.

Comment

• Well, there WAS a slight difference during the Darko draft than most teams that have the #2 pick. The Pistons weren't a team that just needed A franchise player. They were a team on the cusp of a championship looking for the final piece, and the argument was that Wade and Anthony were positions that the Pistons already had very good starters for. Dumars wasn't necessarily "wrong" that they needed another big man (and frankly as much as I think Rasheed should have been just a rental, he WAS the final piece that the Pistons needed).

Nonetheless, if you're going to tell me that the Pistons are just as likely to find garbage in the Top 3 as they are in the middle of the round, I'm gonna have to strenuously disagree with you, chief. A sample size of one really isn't compelling evidence.

Comment

• Like they could make themselves worse by trading those expiring contracts for Mike Conley, this can absolutely get worse.

I said I'm fine with tanking or a rebuild. You're the super smart guy who knows everything, how do you get rid of these players without taking on bad contracts or giving away picks? I think they could trade Griffin, but I'm not sure what they would get in return would be better. Enlighten us smart guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
            Like they could make themselves worse by trading those expiring contracts for Mike Conley, this can absolutely get worse.

I said I'm fine with tanking or a rebuild. You're the super smart guy who knows everything, how do you get rid of these players without taking on bad contracts or giving away picks? I think they could trade Griffin, but I'm not sure what they would get in return would be better. Enlighten us smart guy.
            At this point, there's not much they can do. You're right in that they have to ride out the string. But let's not fool ourselves; Gores is going to keep instructing his front office to fight for the 8-seed.

Comment

• We agree on that. Right now they are in a hole, they need to stop digging. While they are playing out the string, they can find some players in the draft. No more Henry Ellensons.

Comment

• 15 has been a lucky number in the draft - Giannis, Kawhi, Steve Nash. Stefanski actually did ok last year with only 2 2nd round picks. Maybe he can hit big with #15 this year

Comment

• The Pistons FO is bad in every way imaginable. They draft the wrong players most of the time. When they do get decent players they want them to be more. They get rid of them to see them go to a team that plays them in a role. They flourish in the role given by the new team. Meanwhile, the guy(s) we trade for are asked to be more and fail miserably. Then we sign the best of a bad bunch to mega contracts and obliterate the opportunity to sign anyone of consequence. Wash-Rinse-Repeat.

I've said it about the Lions too. First, you have to have a guy you can believe will make good personnel decisions in FA and the draft. I don't know if Stefanski has the leverage to make the changes he wants since Gores is Bat spit crazy. And I don't know him enough to have confidence in who ever he'd pick anyway. Unless it was a top 3 "No shit" pick.

I'm not sure tanking would help them unless they could get in the top 3.
                  Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• It pretty much has been downhill since the 2005 as far as acquisitions. McDyess was the line of demarcation of good acquisitions, almost everything since that has been crap. Once they made the rule changes I think it made Joe D as a GM obsolete. His first four years as GM was a murderers row of great deals and then nothing. Drummond has been one of the relative bright spots of the last 15 years, he produces, most of their draft picks aren't even good enough to play for a team that hasn't been able to break .500.

If you aren't committed to a total rebuild and have a tough time getting marquee free agents to come to Detroit, you have to make hay with trades and smart free agent deals that are flexible. A lot of the contenders are built that way. The old trade a red paper clip and end up with a house after a few deals trick. With the Pistons, they draft scrubs and sign free agents to deals that are immovable. Every time they get cap space they spend it like a drunken sailor on shore leave. I have a little more confidence in this front office but they don't have any wiggle room.

Comment

• AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Both the Clippers and the Rockets have given Golden State more trouble than either team really should have, but the Warriors are just so much better than everyone else that they can still "flip the switch" and win when they absolutely have to.

Mercifully, it looks like this year is going to be the end of that. Barring some unforeseen good will, concessions, and cheap re-signings, Golden State will simply be a very good team rather than a disgustingly stacked one that renders the entire season meaningless.

Comment

• If Durant is out for games 6 and 7, they are in trouble against Houston.

Comment

• AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• The Bucks look like the favorite right now, they are firing on all cylinders. The Warriors are still formidable but they've been off all year. A Warriors/Bucks final would be great, those two teams do not get along.

Comment

• F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X