Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post
    As for Chris Illitch, there has not been an opportunity for him to spend big time right now considering where they are in the rebuild just yet.
    I mean... other than the time that he was doing exactly the same thing that he's doing now, and kept doing it until his father took control away from him.

But yes, other than the time he had the opportunity, he's not had the opportunity.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
      Claiming the Tigers are in the red requires some very... creative interpretation of "profit." On its face, it seems simple. Take gate revenues - costs = plus or negative profit. The problem is, absolutely NO team in ANY professional league is valued by such simple arithmetic. It requires you to believe that the Tigers get absolutely no kickbacks from the league, gets no cut from league sharing, merchandise, etc. It's why the Tigers claim "operating losses" while the team's value and overall bank continues to rise, because they're getting all sorts of money that they don't report in their "operating costs."

There was NEVER any point where the Tigers were not profitable. That Chris Ilitch suggests otherwise is basically a flat out LIE.

What Chris I. wants is the revenue they are currently getting with the payroll that they had in 2004. He wants to pocket the cash. That's why I don't believe him for one second that he has any intention of a rebuild. He has every intention of duping rubes to pay MLB prices while he fields a AAA team, and there's no reason (other than blind homerism) to think he's serious in his intent to do anything other than exactly what he did the LAST time he held the reins.
      You don't understand the financial situation entirely. Neither do I, but I'm understanding enough of it to know Chris (or any owner for that matter) couldn't just keep throwing money at the problem. Continuing to operate at Luxury Tax levels means they forfeit all of the revenue sharing AND also forfeit any refund they might get over time. That means only the top dogs can perpetually operate in the Luxury Tax range without running in the red every year. Tigers were operating like a top dog team, but didn't have the financial clout (revenue stream) to do so.

Sure, they could always use Ford to pay for the Tigers running in the red every year.........

For 2016 and 2017 understand this. Both years they paid a luxury tax, were not getting anywhere near 100% of revenue sharing (by CBA) and even if you throw in the 50 million they get from MLB they still didn't have enough money to add any significant payroll, the kind you'd have to add just to keep J.D. Martinez in DET, (6.8 million in DET, now making 23 million in BOS) - let alone adding any new players to the roster.

Revenue does not equal Operating Income. Tigers had record revenues in 2017, and still ran their operation in the red.

Tigers were the very definition of a team that had to be blown the hell up. Only way you can keep running a team like that is if they are making deep playoff runs, and the Tigers couldn't even make the playoffs in 2015, 2016 and 2017.

Comment

• F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• BRUCE BROWNSF, DETROIT PISTONS
          Bruce Brown will focus on improving his jump shot this summer.

"Really, just shooting," said Brown when asked what his focus will be this summer. "[I want to show] I improved offensively and that I can contribute on the offensive end next year, shooting the ball and playing some guard and ball-handling." Brown will have the opportunity to open the 2019-20 season as a starter in Detroit, so if he's able to add a 3-point shot to his repertoire, that will be huge for the Pistons' spacing.

SOURCE: Detroit News
          Jul 3, 2019, 10:54 AM ET
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• BRUCE BROWNSF, DETROIT PISTONS
            Bruce Brown will focus on improving his jump shot this summer.

"Really, just shooting," said Brown when asked what his focus will be this summer. "[I want to show] I improved offensively and that I can contribute on the offensive end next year, shooting the ball and playing some guard and ball-handling." Brown will have the opportunity to open the 2019-20 season as a starter in Detroit, so if he's able to add a 3-point shot to his repertoire, that will be huge for the Pistons' spacing.

SOURCE: Detroit News
            Jul 3, 2019, 10:54 AM ET
            Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• GLENN ROBINSON IIISF, GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
              Glenn Robinson III has reportedly agreed to a two-year deal with the Warriors.

GRIII could be competing with Alfonzo McKinnie for the starting three-spot in Golden State if they don't add any other wings, although he didn't do much with a similar opportunity in Detroit this past season. In 18 starts last year, Robinson only managed to contribute averages of 5.0 points, 1.4 rebounds and not much else on 36% shooting. Robinson's contract will have a player option on Year-2.

SOURCE: Shams Charania on Twitter
              Jul 2, 2019, 6:03 PM ET

Comment

• Good for Bruce. His shooting needs some work.
                Could become a really solid rotational player if he improves on that.
                AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Pistons agree to two-year deal with big man Markieff Morris

Comment

• A decent value for the contract

Comment

• F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Like the move too.
                            Pistons have added Snell, Rose, Morris, Doumbouya, and Bone. Servydis in the future.(?)
                            Solid to mediocre depth pieces added for 2019/2020.

If the Pistons (mainly Griffin) can stay relatively healthy, seems to be a low 40s win team. 36 to 44 win range is a safe bet. Ceiling of winning one playoff series if they matchup against a 3 or 4 seed, but most likely one and done.
                            Then, in 2 years, the Pistons will have the flexibility to do whatever with this roster.

Seeing players like Kennard and Brown Jr ascend is a good possibility. Hoping to see something out of Thomas in year 2... actually liked him more than Brown Jr coming out of college.
                            Drummond... with how shitty he played vs Milwaukee, it better motivate him to have one hell of an offseason.

Pistons Summer League starts today. Interested to see how France looks in the next few days. Pistons SL roster:
                            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
                                Like the move too.
                                Pistons have added Snell, Rose, Morris, Doumbouya, and Bone. Servydis in the future.(?)
                                Solid to mediocre depth pieces added for 2019/2020.

If the Pistons (mainly Griffin) can stay relatively healthy, seems to be a low 40s win team. 36 to 44 win range is a safe bet. Ceiling of winning one playoff series if they matchup against a 3 or 4 seed, but most likely one and done.
                                Then, in 2 years, the Pistons will have the flexibility to do whatever with this roster.

Seeing players like Kennard and Brown Jr ascend is a good possibility. Hoping to see something out of Thomas in year 2... actually liked him more than Brown Jr coming out of college.
                                Drummond... with how shitty he played vs Milwaukee, it better motivate him to have one hell of an offseason.

Pistons Summer League starts today. Interested to see how France looks in the next few days. Pistons SL roster:
                                https://twitter.com/detroitpistons/s...955023361?s=21
                                I would be pleasantly surprised. He first needs to mature into being a man. I just can't see it with Reggie Jackson around. The immaturity of each of those guys is terrible. I hope Doumbouya stays under Griffin and the y keep those 2 far away from him.

At times last year Griffin just looked like he wanted to just walk away from those children.

Comment

Working...
                                X