No announcement yet.

Official Detroit Pistons thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green wasn't anymore than a a Beef Stew type until 2014-15. He averaged 6 PPG and didn't start. Nobody was claiming anything about Green as a part of a burgeoning dynasty. So if you are including him in this scenario then the Pistons have already meet the criteria of a enough young players with Cunningham, Ivey, Duren, Hayes and Stewart.

I think you can get similar production out of a cheaper vets than to max out Bridges.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cody_Russell View Post
      Does Miles Bridges count as a veteran? I say yes.

The roster size of 15 is getting pretty tight for the Pistons. There could be trades or buyouts (CoJo?) this week, but it’s looking like there’s minimal room for additions. 3 spots by my estimation. Could be looked as 2 spots if you’re counting Bagley as a return.

(4) PG - Cade Cunningham, Killian Hayes, Cory Joseph, Saben Lee
      (2) SG - Jaden Ivey, Hamidou Diallo (team option)
      (2) SF - Saddiq Bey, Isaiah Livers
      (2) PF - Kelly Olynk, Luka Garza (team option)
      (2) C - Isaiah Stewart, Jalen Duren

- Excluding Marvin Bagley because I’m not sure if he’s back. Probably.
      - Accept team option of Hamidou Diallo and Luka Garza. Diallo, obviously yes. Garza, I love the workout videos of him this offseason.
      - Decline team option of Carsen Edwards and Frank Jackson. Though keeping Edwards and having that Purdue Edwards-Ivey duo would be amazing to me.
      - Kemba Walker is certainly a buyout. Not worth it to include on the roster there.

In the hunt … for a playoff spot? We talking Stan Van Gundy goals here? Pistons aren’t one piece away. Adding 34 year old KD doesn’t make sense with Cade’s timeline. Not to forget a trade where the Pistons would probably have to give up Bey and others. If you could add 34 year old KD to the Pistons roster 2 or 3 years from now… then it makes sense. (Only hypothetically saying because of course KD will not be traded to Detroit)

Now adding a veteran or two in free agency? Fine by me.
      KD is going to be great for the next three years. They are a contender right away if you popped him into this lineup right now. It would be a far, far better team than anything SVG assembled. It's an insult to KD that you even brought that up.

Comment

• Report: Bradley Beal to opt-out, then re-sign with Wizards on five-year max

His new five-year contract would be worth a quarter of a billion dollars. You think he's walking away from that?
        Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Well, that's bold...

Pacers just drafted Mathurin says LeBron is “going to have to show me he’s better than me”
          Whoa, let's pump the breaks there, rookie.
          Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Yeah, Beal is going to hang that albatross on the Wizards and then maybe demand a trade a year or two later.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
              KD is going to be great for the next three years. They are a contender right away if you popped him into this lineup right now. It would be a far, far better team than anything SVG assembled. It's an insult to KD that you even brought that up.
              I think you’re overrating what year 2 Cade and the rest of the roster looks like at this time. Plus the Pistons would have to surrender assets (Bey, Stu, Killian, future picks?) to add 34 year old KD in a trade. Not a contender. Probably a 7 or 8 seed if this is the path. Agree to disagree.

KD’s time in Brooklyn hasn’t gone well too. He’s having a hard time playing games at his age.

Best case scenario. It would be like when LeBron was added to the Lakers and year 1 of that went poorly. Another super star and more would be missing. A BIG difference is how LeBron went to LA in free agency. The only path of KD to Detroit is through a trade. Pistons roster would be gutted in the trade. Another star would have to be added in free agency and that hasn’t happened for Detroit in a long time.

It’s ridiculous hypothetical discussion. Just need to let the young core develop and don’t accelerate the rebuild. Pistons are a few years away from seriously contending if everything goes right.
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I'm a believer in Kevin Durant for the next three seasons, I'm not overrating anything. The Nets experience has a lot more to do with Kyrie and Harden. If your team and salary cap is designed around those three stars and two of them are hurt and/or pouting that isn't Durant's fault. In his first season he was a half foot from the NBA finals with a wretched lineup.

Comment

• By the way, in the Durant hypothetical we are talking about them not giving up much.If they had to give up a lot of assets, it wouldn't be worth it.

Comment

• The problem with letting the young core grow together is it has this unwavering belief that everyone is going to turn out. Next thing you know you are 7 years down the line and you are the Detroit Tigers talking about fangraphs prospects articles from three years back.

Comment

• Durant could be available...

As Nets, Irving situation becomes “acrimonious” other teams prep plans for Durant trade

By Kurt HelinJun 25, 2022, 8:53 AM EDTKyrie Irving sees himself as one of the game’s elite players, one deserving of a four- or five-year max contract. Brooklyn Nets management — after watching Irving play 103 of 226 games over three seasons and not seem fully committed to the franchise — don’t want to extend him past a couple of years. Nets owner Joe Tsai has backed the hardline stance (at least so far).

What started as public negotiation tactics between the sides has now gotten much more personal and tense, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski said on the NBA Today (hat tip Real GM).
                      “This is getting acrimonious,” said Wojnarowksi of the talks. “I think that’s the concern when you look at not only Kyrie Irving’s future in Brooklyn, but Kevin Durant‘s future and whether they can hold this thing together right now.”

When Irving gave the Nets a list of other places he wanted to play — or at least made that list public — it was a sign this negotiation had crossed the Rubicon and there may be no turning back.

Other teams have taken notice and quietly started to plan for Kevin Durant trades, ESPN’s Zach Lowe said on The Lowe Post podcast.
                      “Teams are already operating under the, not the assumption, but we need to prepare for the contingency Kevin Durant is available via trade in six days, or seven days.”

Everyone involved seems to be taking stock of their relationship and deciding if they want to continue it into the future...

Comment

• Report: Durant frustrated Nets front office didn’t get to know, understand Irving

Durant and wrote about his more zen attitude a few months ago, said on the Ringer’s Mismatch podcast that KD sees the situation as a failure of vision on the part of the Nets (hat tip Nets Daily).
                        I made some calls. Kevin Durant has not talked to the team in weeks. I don’t think Kevin is confident in the front office right now. I don’t know if he’s at the stage of leaving but there’s a big uneasiness from not only from the Kyrie side, but the KD side as well…

“His biggest beef is that he feels that the front office didn’t grow to understand Kyrie, whatever that means. I would push back on that when a guy leaves for two weeks at a time … Kyrie earns the lion’s share of the blame. But I think KD believes that ‘hey, you guys didn’t understand this guy. You didn’t try to figure out where he was coming from.’…

“The Nets got rid of Adam Harrington. who’s very close to Kevin. He’s one of Kevin’s guys. And that had a big ripple effect on how Kevin feels about this right now. He’s still in this figure-it-out mode but there is some fire to that smoke that he’s kind of reevaluating where he stands with this.”

Murdoch also confirmed Durant is not recruiting free agents to Brooklyn right now.

Durant does not make rash decisions — fans may not agree with all of them, but his choices are thought out and considered from his perspective. It’s fair to say he genuinely thought playing with his friend Irving, and reconciling everything with James Harden, would work out very differently than it did — and none of that was on Durant directly. When Durant has been healthy and played, he has been at an MVP level (at age 33), and the team has won. Irving’s choices alone were not the undoing of the Nets’ season but part of a larger storm (how big a part is up for debate).

In Irving’s case, Durant thinks Irving is making personal decisions and, apparently, the Nets didn’t grow to understand those decisions. I would argue that what the Nets understood was the impact of those decisions — both on the team short term and the societal implications (Tsai is a big pro-vaccine guy) — and disagreed with Irving’s choices. The Nets feeling that Irving was not committed to the franchise didn’t come out of left field.

Comment

• Craziness.

Kyrie to the Lakers being a possibility too.

Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          By the way, in the Durant hypothetical we are talking about them not giving up much.If they had to give up a lot of assets, it wouldn't be worth it.
                          I think KD would go for a lot in any trade. If Kyrie blows up the entire Nets situation by Thursday… KD could be on his way out too.

KD to a team like Memphis makes sense to me. Memphis is already a contender and they have much more depth when compared to Detroit right now. They could easily exchange quantity for quality and make a run next season. KD putting them over the top immediately.
                          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I don't think Memphis has that much depth as you think, they just traded always Melton, Tyjss Jones and Kyle Anderson are UFAs.

Like I said originally about this subject, the Pistons would need Durant to demand a trade in the middle.of the season and they would need to sign some good vets on tradeable contracts that they could package. If he were to demand a trade on 7/6, it's not likely. But if he demands a trade in February, there won't be many teams.

Durant should fetch a lot but his salary makes it hard. It's not impossible to trade for him but when you get over 40-45 million, the amount of teams that are able to trade for the guy dwindles. Just go to the trade machine and try to make it work.

Comment

• Yeah a Durant trade won’t be happening for the Pistons. We’d have nothing to send back (that we’d want to trade) and we can’t trade a 1st rounder until 2028 because we still owe OKC
                              F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                                I don't think Memphis has that much depth as you think, they just traded always Melton, Tyjss Jones and Kyle Anderson are UFAs.

Like I said originally about this subject, the Pistons would need Durant to demand a trade in the middle.of the season and they would need to sign some good vets on tradeable contracts that they could package. If he were to demand a trade on 7/6, it's not likely. But if he demands a trade in February, there won't be many teams.

Durant should fetch a lot but his salary makes it hard. It's not impossible to trade for him but when you get over 40-45 million, the amount of teams that are able to trade for the guy dwindles. Just go to the trade machine and try to make it work.
                                Where at?

Comment

Working...
                                X