No announcement yet.

Michigan 21, MSU 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mason was on the field, not sure why he didn't get in on one play? He didn't look hurt, Harbugh really was just defecting all questions today.

Comment

From what I've heard, Wangler is a better blocker in space, and Michigan was attacking the C-gaps on Wisky. Which makes me wonder if fullback personnel will be a huge signal to MSU as to where Michigan will be focusing their run plays. I also wonder if Harbaugh didn't reveal the Patterson-as-a-runner option off the RPO a week too soon. The Badgers were clearly not expecting Shea to keep and run the way he did.
      I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

Well it probably helps Higdon when Patterson doesn't keep it.

Comment

They had tape on Patterson doing the zone read (or otherwise known as a Read Option) with the RB repeatedly getting the ball. Wisconsin reacted to the crossing TE, McKeon, exactly the way it was drawn up making defenders think that guy was going to be an additional pass option for Patterson. On tape Patterson would give to Higdon who headed for the B gap between Ruiz and Onwenu. As the play unfolded, a very surprised OLB crashing inside from the back-side to tackle Higdon suddenly realized Higdon didn't have the ball as he expected. Meanwhile McKeon arced around the OLB on the back side, moved down field and took out the containing WLB as Patterson kept and flew right by him.

Harbaugh has options with a two back set using a fullback and TE, some of which I bet we haven't seen yet. He's already shown that it's a short yardage run play option at the goal line that Patterson has instead been seen throwing to Wangler instead of giving to Mason. That was an RPO for the in your face Durkin Jarod Wangler TD. I don't think that formation signals anything in particular at this point. Is it a run or is it a pass, at the mesh, does Patterson keep it and run or RPO it to the TE like he did to Wangler.

I can guarantee you that Dantonio will have his defense repping the shit out of the zone read where the QB keeps it and when they see the TE crossing, they'll expect it. Boom, Harbaugh most likely already has something to counter what the MSU D thinks is coming. Maybe the S, making sure he doesn't get blocked out of the play by the crossing TE, keeps disengaged, lets the TE go and Patterson throws to that guy who is wide open.

If you didn't have time or didn't see the link I posted to this play, here it is again:

Like it or hate it, Jim Harbaugh likes to spend the season gradually developing certain concepts to spring surprises on key opponents. This year we have seen Michigan stubbornly continue to run the football from the shotgun and the pistol, frequently using zone blocking. Michigan has periodically used zone read option plays with Shea Patterson; the occasional keep that is wiped out by terrible holding calls aside, Shea has handed off a frustrating amount of the time on these plays.
          Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

"Harbaugh running the long con." Great comment by MGO reader.
            I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Bleier View Post
              "Harbaugh running the long con." Great comment by MGO reader.
              Yeah. I think Harbaugh's focused on this game and will win. Harbaugh has a pretty good track record compared to Dantonio who is up and down. The offensive problems from last year have been addressed really well.

Last week against Wisconsin Michigan came out throwing on first down a lot. That ended up setting up the runs so the offensive strategy worked. Harbaugh demonstrated that he will attack the opposition's weakness, rather than trying to play manball into the opposition's strength.

Comment

OK, but it felt like same in '16 only to see more fucking Pepcat instead of something to build off the damn Pepcat, which wasn't even a threat anymore.

Comment

Yes, Pepcat didn't go anywhere. )-:

Comment

Originally posted by hack View Post
                    OK, but it felt like same in '16 only to see more fucking Pepcat instead of something to build off the damn Pepcat, which wasn't even a threat anymore.
                    I think what Harbaugh does with tweaking blocking schemes in the run game to fool the opponent's front 7 is what's important. The Milton Package, like Pepcat is less important.

It's difficult to discern these tweaks unless someone diagrams the play and shows how it worked. The blackboard description and video of Patterson's Zone Read Keeper for 81 yards demonstrated the subtlety of these tweaks and how they are set up.

I don't think the Milton package was intended for anything more than, we can do this too so, start thinking about it. The first time he came in and ran a play, it was a bust. The second time, same thing but he improvised. Putting McCaffrey in is nothing more than giving him some live snaps. There's no foolery being attempted here. It was just another well executed Zone Read play v. a tired and deflated Wisconsin D.
                    Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

Seth just did a Neck Sharpies piece on the Zone Read, including Patterson's big play from it. It's in much greater detail than what I posted in a link elsewhere but the point is the same. Seth concludes with this:

My takeaway from the article and Seth's concluding paragraphs is that, as we've been tantalized with the notion of Harbaugh's expanding play book as the season progresses, we're actually starting to see this work on the field. Player's talk about it. Observers talk about it. It's about layers. The things that can be done out of Zone Read concepts, and this is just one of many schemes that are in M's play-book, make it hard for the opponent's coaching staff to allocate limited practice time to each of them. They are forced to go with tendencies and M has messed with this approach and probably others that we can't discern.

I suspect Harbaugh and his staff remember what Dantonio has said in the past about M's supposed scheme variability. It went something like they used 30 different formations and ran the same 3 or 4 plays out of them. Probably true because the offense, as a unit, wasn't able to move past the basics. Casual observers commented on predictability. Two key additions have moved M past that in 2018 - Patterson and Warriner and one key element has markedly improved - the OL - facilitating the real expansion of the play-book. Count on a clubbing v. MSU regarding this particular circumstance. Not saying it will work flawlessly but it will work better than it has in the past now that the pieces are in place, the players area all in and playing with a lot of confidence..

https://mgoblog.com/content/neck-sha...aking-tendency

Comment

That's not what Dantonio said. He said 40 different formations in the first half, he did not mention anything about running the same 3 or 4 plays. That's something Hannibal has said.

Comment

50% chance of rain and 20-30 mph winds lol

Comment

It is October in Michigan, that is normal.

Comment

Someone getting soft?

Dantonio says last few games against U-M have featured better on-field sportsmanship, credits Harbaugh for respecting the game of football.

Comment

Fuck that! Just win baby!

Comment

Working...
                                X