Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hack View Post
    Plugging in and staying focused with Coursera is pretty damn hard. And maybe employers are right to be skeptical. I got myself a certificate in data analysis from Duke last year, and learned absolutely nothing in the process. Presumably even for an online degree program the standards are much higher, but the suspicion lingers probably for good reason.

Which is why it's such a shitty move to be offering programs online only and at the same price. Caveat emptor...

The "have a degree and didn't learn anything" happens in-person, too. I have had assistants with MBAs who couldn't read or work a spreadsheet.
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
      University of Phoenix runs a fine school of officiating wouldn't ya say wiz?
      Couldn't afford it crash...so I went to the Terry Porter Night Class in Columbus...circa 2002...
      Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
        Uh, yes. They refute nothing in the analysis. They simply look at it from 2012. In 2016, Warren paid female staffers 71% of male staffers. Sorry, dude. Even the fantabulously biased HuffPo doesn't dispute that.
        Cherry picked data for a bullshit "story".

Of course Breitbart and FOX are running with it...
        I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Hoss View Post
          Customer service aint what it used to be.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Is that the flight were they needed 4 seats for airline staff and just kicked people off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
            The "have a degree and didn't learn anything" happens in-person, too. I have had assistants with MBAs who couldn't read or work a spreadsheet.

Bama grads?

Comment

• [ame]https://twitter.com/thepileus/status/851497970692390913[/ame]

Hoss...

Comment

• Btw... love how people on twitter have described the incident as anti-minority, anti-immigration or a rich person wanting a seat and getting others kicked off.

The story itself isn't enough...

Comment

• I liked the tweet in re the incident that said "SW may be late, but they never kick my ass."

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

• Comment

• Yeah, AA, I have one of those degrees too. A bit of an exaggeration.

Comment

• maybe terry porter got his degree a U of Phoenix

but he got his doctorate at OSU

Comment

• Originally posted by crashcourse View Post
                          maybe terry porter got his degree a U of Phoenix

but he got his retirement from OSU
                          FIFY

Comment

• Re on-line degrees. I'd be interested about the growth in the on-line education industry. I would think it is substantial. There's money to be made and not a lot of supervision of accreditation. I suspect on line offering for established universities are revenue streams. I'd be skeptical of even their quality and highly skeptical of offerings outside established ones.

Here's an example in my field of interest. There's been huge growth in the number of Nurse Practioners and Physician Assistants in the last 10-15y. Demand for them is driving the growth. Lots of schools added PA and/or NP curricula as demand increased. Frankly, these programs were big revenue generators.

I've seen the quality of clinical skills of these graduates from the various programs drop precipitously. There are not enough clinical training opportunities out there for programs offering degrees but they still get sent out the door to start medical practice. National certification varies and so does the requirements for state licensing.

The point is that I do a lot of screening of NP and PA resumes for job seekers. I reject a ton of them based on the lack of quality of the programs listed in their Educational Background sections. It's hard to find quality training with experience in the PA and NP profession. A lot of applicants and very few good ones. The good ones get jobs quickly and are usually hired practice to practice by reputation.
                            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Cherry picked data for a bullshit "story".
                              I'm sorry you hate facts so much. But, I do agree that wage gap stories are bullshit.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                                Re on-line degrees. I'd be interested about the growth in the on-line education industry. I would think it is substantial. There's money to be made and not a lot of supervision of accreditation. I suspect on line offering for established universities are revenue streams. I'd be skeptical of even their quality and highly skeptical of offerings outside established ones.

Here's an example in my field of interest. There's been huge growth in the number of Nurse Practioners and Physician Assistants in the last 10-15y. Demand for them is driving the growth. Lots of schools added PA and/or NP curricula as demand increased. Frankly, these programs were big revenue generators.

I've seen the quality of clinical skills of these graduates from the various programs drop precipitously. There are not enough clinical training opportunities out there for programs offering degrees but they still get sent out the door to start medical practice. National certification varies and so does the requirements for state licensing.

The point is that I do a lot of screening of NP and PA resumes for job seekers. I reject a ton of them based on the lack of quality of the programs listed in their Educational Background sections. It's hard to find quality training with experience in the PA and NP profession. A lot of applicants and very few good ones. The good ones get jobs quickly and are usually hired practice to practice by reputation.

I have taught both on-line and in-person. There is actually more oversight and rigor in many traditional universities' on-line programs. The accreditation is the same.

On-line: There is less "sage on a stage" lectures, more assignmemts -both writting and research- and the students have to be motivated. There is no "remember this" or "do that". It has been my experience that mature, adult learners in specific coursework do fine in on-line with no drop off in mastery.

It's not good for every course or degree, though.
                                Last edited by AlabamAlum; April 10, 2017, 05:09 PM.
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X