No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What really amazes me is that these High School coaches can come up with such a great idea to get the attention of that team, while the urban legend can't do any better than this:

Comment

• Coaches Fight In Massive Brawl During High School Football Game

This right here is something else. Late in the third quarter of Friday night's game between Arsenal Tech and Fort Wayne on Indianapolis's east side, a player was tackled out of bounds. Everything quickly went to hell.
      Players from both sides were shoving, yelling and generally looking for any reason to really get nuts, when finally a couple of adults and authority figures obliged. At around the :28 mark, two coaches start shoving each other, with one actually throwing a punch. He then found himself on the ground, nearly trampled by an army of jacked-up teenagers in helmets and shoulder pads who no longer had any reason to even try to control themselves.
      Whistles blew. Referees hilariously continued throwing flags. The PA begged fans to stop rushing the field. Chaos on a Friday night in Indy.
      The game was halted shortly after order was restored with Arsenal Tech up 24-6. No arrests were made and no injuries were reported.
      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
        Sports are supposed to be competitive. Solution: incentivize teams to play competitive games. (Crazy, I know...)
        Hack, read the topic a bit late and just randomly picked your post to reply to for reference.

I think the "cupcake" school is just as much to blame as the overwhelming favorite. The reason is obvious....money. But, I don't think anyone was holding a gun to the head of say the FAMU athletic department when they signed the agreement. So, if they get/got their comeupins they are as culpable as anyone and perhaps even more to blame. Perhaps FAMU's athletic department scheduling procedures should be reviewed. But, heck if a few kids get hurt and the school embarrassed so what. They made a few bucks and funded their athletic program for a couple of years. We all get it.

Perhaps before such "apparently" uneven matchups are scheduled, the underdog school should include some sort of stipulation in the contract which states something to the effect...

If we are behind by 40 points (or some such number) after halftime, for every additional 7 points that is scored against us, an additional 5% (or some such number) will be added to our agreed upon compensation for playing the game.

I think that would provide incentive to keep the score down and perhaps force teams to "run between the hashes" or something similar. It just might give powerhouse schools a bit less incentive to run up the score as it will cost them what they covet most.....money. I'm sure powerhouse schools would balk at putting that in contracts but if cupcake schools would start insisting on it, or something similar, then at least the score issue might be brought under some degree of control.

Comment

• Honesty? Treat women with respect? No! Drugs. Stealing. Weapons.

That's how it reads in their dialect.

Originally posted by Rob F View Post
          What really amazes me is that these High School coaches can come up with such a great idea to get the attention of that team, while the urban legend can't do any better than this:

Comment

• Mack: Good ideas all, but I'd be against anything that puts the game in the hands of non-players. I have always liked the running clock after 40 point margin is established.

With all the talk of paying players, particularly Devaney's opinion, why not lobby to raise the scholarship number to 105? To heck with parity. Right now, the 85 player limit puts such a premium on scholarships that there is a lot of cheating for the top players. In the SI article on Okie State, it was clear that OSU dropped the scholarships on several players in order to remain under the artificial limit of 85. Look at UM this year. Everyone accepts that this is "a small class" but that is only because of an artificial limit. I'll bet UM could take 25 players this year if the limit were higher.

other ideas:

$ 2,000.00 in vouchers each semester for "student needs" including food

5 year scholarships rather than one year. In fact, this could be tied to the 105 limit. If Alabama and LSU want to give 1 year scolarships, then keep them at 85. 20 per year is about right.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
              Honesty? Treat women with respect? No! Drugs. Stealing. Weapons.

That's how it reads in their dialect.
              Interesting interpretation! Wouldn't be surprised if that's about what those goons understand it to mean .

Comment

• Only thing stopping 105+ scholarships is Title IX. Right now because football has so many scholarships most universities have a few more womens sports than they have mens and in a lot of sports (e.g. mens volleyball vs womens, softball vs baseball) they offer more scholarships in the same sport...

Mens scholarships are already crunched in sports other than basketball, football. Most notably college baseball and hockey, lots of the players are on partial scholarships because Title IX.

Comment

• WM:

You are right about Title IX.

It's 8:00pm on a Saturday night and you can watch girls volleyball on the Big Ten Network! I'm so old that I never think of governmental intervention screwing up the free market. Why does men's football and basketball have to carry the rest of a sports program? Nonsense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mackenzie View Post
                    Hack, read the topic a bit late and just randomly picked your post to reply to for reference.

I think the "cupcake" school is just as much to blame as the overwhelming favorite. The reason is obvious....money. But, I don't think anyone was holding a gun to the head of say the FAMU athletic department when they signed the agreement. So, if they get/got their comeupins they are as culpable as anyone and perhaps even more to blame. Perhaps FAMU's athletic department scheduling procedures should be reviewed. But, heck if a few kids get hurt and the school embarrassed so what. They made a few bucks and funded their athletic program for a couple of years. We all get it.

Perhaps before such "apparently" uneven matchups are scheduled, the underdog school should include some sort of stipulation in the contract which states something to the effect...

If we are behind by 40 points (or some such number) after halftime, for every additional 7 points that is scored against us, an additional 5% (or some such number) will be added to our agreed upon compensation for playing the game.

I think that would provide incentive to keep the score down and perhaps force teams to "run between the hashes" or something similar. It just might give powerhouse schools a bit less incentive to run up the score as it will cost them what they covet most.....money. I'm sure powerhouse schools would balk at putting that in contracts but if cupcake schools would start insisting on it, or something similar, then at least the score issue might be brought under some degree of control.
                    Heh. Interesting idea.

Comment

• It will be some time before a show is as good as Breaking Bad was...
                      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• South Florida is going straight to hell I tell you. Murderer shoots himself as SWAT storms his SUV.

A shooting suspect and three others are dead after a high-speed chase through two counties ended in a deadly crash and standoff in west Broward Wednesday morning.

The chase with Antonio Feliu, 48, began at some point after authorities discovered Vivian Gallego Martinez, 51, and her daughter Anabel Benitez, 28, had been shot at 12341 SW 190th Street in South Miami Heights, authorities said. Martinez died at the scene, and Benitez was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Feliu once dated Martinez, police said. Miami-Dade Police spokesman Det. Alvaro Zabaleta said detectives are exploring the possibilty that Feliu may have been angry over a split between him and Martinez.

"How long ago did they break up? Was it recent? Was it awhile back? Was it on and off?" he said.

Authorities saw that the vehicle Feliu was driving matched the description of the car they were looking for in connection to the shootings and they chased him after he refused to stop.

The standoff with Feliu ended when law enforcement and three SWAT vehicles surrounded his Mercedes sports utility vehicle in a grassy field, where it had come to a stop after it crashed into another Mercedes in an intersection at Griffin Road and U.S. 27.

Both the SUV and the other car were heavily damaged in the crash. The other car's female driver, identified as Maritza Medina, 48, was ejected from the vehicle, Broward Sheriff Scott Israel said. A sheriff's sergeant and a police officer jumped into a marked unit and shielded her from the suspect's car. They pulled her to a safe area, where she was pronounced dead.

[youtube]jVcMs8EQ6UQ[/youtube]

[youtube]oArMTi2CQpk[/youtube]

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/sfl...4.photogallery

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/bro...,6108769.story
                        Last edited by Optimus Prime; September 30, 2013, 01:17 PM.
                        ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• That's a shame for all the decent folk in hell who are going to have to cope with South Florida's arrival.

Comment

• I highly doubt the metro-hipster gay community is immune to this either.
                            ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Just darwin thinning out the herd in a poisoned watering hole
                              Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• I'd love to agree, but this piece of shit took some innocents with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X