Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screenshot 2018-06-03 at 5.36.39 PM.png
    I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
      I actually like the Trump administration's approach to trade with China given the circumstances that are present now versus those that prevailed for decades as that county grew it's economy. China, along with Europe and Canada, don't deserve slack now.

I think the steel and aluminum tariff's are dumb....... 50's kind of shit that might have been appropriate 60y ago. I also think that Secretary of Commerce, Wilbur Ross and Chief Economic Adviser, Larry Kudlow know they are too. Kudlow has said as much. Ross isn't very talkative.

The threats of tariff's are reasonable negotiating tactics, very consistent with Trump's business philosophy with regards to deal making, like them or not, and, IMO, have a better chance of working than blowing up in his face. There is absolutely no question that the US, in it's benevolent mode since the end of WWII, has taken it in the ass with trade. Certainly, it's a complex area and I claim no expertise at all in it but, I can see and i understand where this appears to be going and I'm prepared to see how it turns out.

I spoke too soon in criticizing, actually laughing at, the administration and PDJT after the NK/un summit fell through. But it appears to be back on and Turmp made it clear that he is prone to walk away from a bad deal and come back to the table when the other side is willing to offer better terms.

We'll see on both counts: Trade and NK Denuclearization..
      Well the basic premise Trump, Navarro, & Ross believe is that if you have a trade deficit with a country, that means you are "losing" and "taking it in the ass".

That's literally pre-Adam Smith thinking and it's wrong. And at least insofar as Canada is concerned, it's not even accurate that we have a deficit with them.

If countries cheat, like China has with IP, they should be punished.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Oracle View Post

I couldn't give a shit less about Melania. But whatever theories are out there are more realistic than the shit you've posted about and believe.
        Melania won't be going with Trump to the Singapore Summit. Nor will she travel with him to the G7 meetings next weekend in Canada. It's been 24 days since she was seen in public.

Comment

• Just a bit of speculation but I wonder if her health is a lot worse than is being let on.
          2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Could be, I know the thought of Kidney troubles would scare me. Doesn't stop the hateful jokes, non-stop from the left though. Losers are always the loudest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post

Well the basic premise Trump, Navarro, & Ross believe is that if you have a trade deficit with a country, that means you are "losing" and "taking it in the ass".

That's literally pre-Adam Smith thinking and it's wrong. And at least insofar as Canada is concerned, it's not even accurate that we have a deficit with them.

If countries cheat, like China has with IP, they should be punished.
              So you think Navarro and Ross are actually pre-Adam Smith thinkers? I don't.

Look, we already know Trump is prone to create a reality that speaks to his base "taking it in the ass" from China and other countries plays well with this crowd. Do you think they would have a clue if the administration explained it this way:

The tangible source of America?s persistent trade deficit with China is consumer goods: electronics, housewares and so much else that Americans buy regularly at Walmart or Costco. Those deficits have been exacerbated, economists generally agree, through concerted action by the Chinese government to prop up exports, by holding down the value of China?s currency and directly subsidizing some exporting industries.

When it was admitted to the World Trade Organization in 2001, China got access to markets around the world and in turn committed to opening its own markets to countries such as the United States, said Eswar S. Prasad, a trade economist at Cornell University. ?China did not keep up its end of the bargain,? Mr. Prasad said. ?It did not provide easy access to its own markets. And for a long period after the Asian financial crisis ? 2000 until the end of that decade ? they gave themselves a competitive advantage by holding down the value of their currency.?

I don't think you lack an understanding of trade economics. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know or should know. The Trump administration is targeting specific and publicly undisclosed portions of previous trade agreements (NAFTA, for example and in the case of Canada) and the many ways of cheating, including their aggressive misappropriation of IP as you point out in the case of China .........

This is a gamut, being run by the Trump administration and described in terms that most American voters and his base will understand. For PDJT, it's a negotiating tactic nothing more and the targets of the tariff's including Canada, a NAFTA member, are reacting pretty much like you would assume a kid getting caught cheating would. The US/Canada trade issue is a political hot potato as I understand it there and involves asking in NAFTA talks for an end to the supply management system for dairy, chicken, eggs and turkey within the next decade.

Apparently, this hurts Canadian consumers by making the price of these products in their grocery stores more expensive (a supply issue) and props up Canadian farmers allowing them to charge more for these products (amounts to import quotas that hurt American Farmers).

There are Canadian opponents to and supporters of having this issue raised within NAFTA forums where they would likely lose on any rational debate of Canada's Supply Management System. It's not supportable in any free trade environment. The current Canadian administration is an opponent. I would expect Justin Trudeau to wet his pants over Trump administration threats like any good French Canadian.

The Chinese, OTH are very capable on many fronts of raising the anti on the emerging trade war and this is the concern that I have with a volatile, egocentric US president like DJT. Things could get out of hand. But, like I said, I understand why its being done and I remain supportive of these tactics and ready to stand by until I see how it all plays out. The Chinese have already lined up Europeans to condemn Trump's tough talk. Fine. But I bet, behind the scenes, China doesn't want to lose access to the US consumers who flock to Costco and Walmart for the billions of dollars of cheap goods they sell to these two retail giants.
              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; June 3, 2018, 09:07 PM.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
                Could be, I know the thought of Kidney troubles would scare me. Doesn't stop the hateful jokes, non-stop from the left though. Losers are always the loudest.
                I have not heard any hateful stuff about Melania. Her husband, sure.
                2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

Could be, I know the thought of Kidney troubles would scare me. Doesn't stop the hateful jokes, non-stop from the left though. Losers are always the loudest.
                  lol.

Unsure if echo chamber or just making up for the sake of convenient bias.

I think most people in general feel bad for, want only the best for, and hope Melania recovers and gets the help she needs regardless of whether she explicitly asks for it or not.

Of course, they also hope she makes a full medical recovery as well.

TL;DR:

Tagging the "left" with "hateful" jokes about Melania seems pretty delusional. Most think she is a victim/stockholm syndrome sufferer.

Nvrmnd, not TL;DR:

Would love to see their marriage hit the rocks and Trump-supporters still maintain this white knight facade at the cost of questioning their faith to Trump. My money would be on a quick flip-flop and embrace of previously minimized rumors to illustrate her lack of character.

In Bold: Who is literally the loudest person in our country. And, no, that isn't criteria for the position.

Comment

• Tagging the "left" with "hateful" jokes about Melania seems pretty delusional. Most think she is a victim/stockholm syndrome sufferer.

You 'really' think 1A is much worse than 1B ? lmao

Comment

• I have a lot of work the next few weeks, this is not up for debate. Try not to be a miserable cow millen.... your not the smartest guy in the room.

Comment

• Last chance to place bets - Supreme Court to rule shortly on the 'wedding cake' case
                        “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Baker wins. Thankfully. 7-2.
                          Last edited by iam416; June 4, 2018, 10:06 AM.
                          Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                          Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Jeez. Of course Kennedy writes the opinion and of course it's about as muddled and wishy-washy as it gets. The Colorado commission and its actions are the basis for the decision. They were complete pricks and got what they deserved. But that also means there isn't much of a "rule" coming out of the case. Will be interesting to see how future cases add relief to this otherwise rudderless opinion.
                            Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                            Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• The ruling was not surprising, but the rationale was. The Colorado Civil Rights Commission showed "hostility toward religion". A decision lacking decision. I was so looking forward to becoming an instant millionaire by finding a non-cooperative Muslim baker who would not make me a Christmas cake depicting Allah eating a bacon sandwich.
                              “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

I have a lot of work the next few weeks, this is not up for debate. Try not to be a miserable cow millen.... your not the smartest guy in the room.
                                Temporary white knight makes his exit

Comment

Working...
                                X