No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump referred to the Customs and Border Patrol as the "CBC" at least 8 times in his speech today. He never once got the acronym right. Reporters agree it wasn't the fault of the teleprompter either. He just continually read it wrong.

Later he called a Hispanic CBP agent (Adrian Anzaldua) up on stage for a few remarks. But not before assuring the audience that Mr. Anzaldua speaks "perfect English".

Comment

• eJRLnX_NdzdBtkAfQpFBhZsWEChD10fbPbE97k7Zfak.jpg?w=573&s=a9969c41f22339e27696d9666a191302.jpg

Comment

• A well-known Confederate Memorial on UNC"s campus was torn down by students tonight. So here's a variation on one of Kapture's favorite memes

DlFYQZfUwAA6U34.jpg:large.jpg

Comment

• More fake news from the witch hunt hoax front.

Parts of an operation linked to Russian military intelligence targeting the US Senate and conservative think tanks that advocated for tougher policies against Russia were thwarted last week, Microsoft announced early Tuesday.
          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• You're learning... CNN is fake news. It is getting beat in prime time ratings by reruns on Nickelodeon.

Comment

• So wait -- I'm going to have to start calling people "front holes" now? Fucking hell.
              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• hahaaa, front holes.

Hey, shut your front hole!

"When you're so woke you start erasing women's body parts, women are next"
                Last edited by Kapture1; August 21, 2018, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                  A well-known Confederate Memorial on UNC"s campus was torn down by students tonight. So here's a variation on one of Kapture's favorite memes

DlFYQZfUwAA6U34.jpg:large.jpg
                  It was a statue honoring the dead confederates. It wasn't honoring the actual confederacy.

it was construction in 1913, not in the 1960's

there is a difference between participation trophies and American History.

Here is a tip, the thing about memes is they need to reflect something true in reality, then mock the shit out of it. That meme works for those statues that were erected in the 1960's and are honoring actual confederates or the confederacy itself, this wan't any of those things. So this becomes a strawman, and a very poorly photo-shopped strawman at that. 3/10. Try harder next time.
                  Last edited by Kapture1; August 21, 2018, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• Yeah, here's part of the speech Julian Carr gave at the statue's dedication. Carr was a wealthy southern industrialist, had served in the Confederate Army, gave extensively to the Confederate widows, and was a supporter of the KKK. The 1910's and the Wilson Administration were the heyday of the Klan's revival. His money helped build the statue. During this part of his spech he describes the war as being fought to preserve the white race and recounts (with delight) how he once horsewhipped a freed slave who had dared to 'insult' a 'Southern lady".

This is who this statue was built to "honor"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
                      Yeah, here's part of the speech Julian Carr gave at the statue's dedication. Carr was a wealthy southern industrialist, had served in the Confederate Army, gave extensively to the Confederate widows, and was a supporter of the KKK. The 1910's and the Wilson Administration were the heyday of the Klan's revival.l

the 1924 Democrat National Convention was also known as the Klanbake

guy was probably a damn democrat

Comment

• Originally posted by Kapture1 View Post

the 1924 Democrat National Convention was also known as the Klanbake

guy was probably a damn democrat
                        He almost certainly was

Comment

• Bernie Bro brings American flag to protest Fascists in Portland, and Klantifa beats him for it.

Comment

• 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000-1-600x450.jpg

Comment

• UNC gave Carr an honorary degree and he was nominated as vice president of the US by a few North Carolina delegates (and some delegate from Montana) at the 1900 Democratic Convention.

He was a noted psycho and white supremacist with a lot of money. The statue itself wasn't that bad. They purposely left off the ammo box off his belt. The sculptor, a Canadian, had done a "silent" statue of a union soldier, too.

Anyway, as it does not represent an actual historical figure and certainly not Carr, despite his psycho racist blather - just a memorial to those who died - the ire it raises (other than Carr's association) is confusing to me. But whatever. Leave it down. I am not sure what the ultimate end to tearing down statues or memorials of men who would be 170 years old if they were alive today. It was a different era. But I will be surprised if one day soon we don't also want to tear down memorials, statues, and remembrances of all historical slave owners, too - including the 12 US presidents that list includes.

Interestingly, to me anyway, I read a piece a while back that Chicago is considering removing the Balbo Statue gifted by Mussolini. I hope not. I think that statue and the one he gifted Cinci are pretty cool - despite the giver's history.
                              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• They finally found the body of the missing Iowa girl, Mollie Tibbetts. I think before it's over her killer will be tied to other deaths, too.
                                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X