No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another book recommendation, albeit an old release from 2007. This one comes from Thomas DeFrank (of Newsweek) entitled "Write It When I'm Gone". From 1974 through shortly before Gerald Ford's death in 2006, DeFrank conducted a series of interviews under the requirement that nothing would be published or even spoken about until after his death. It's a great insight into GRF's mind when our nation was being torn apart by Viet Nam and Watergate. Plus it provides a glimpse into the affairs of former Presidents both economically and as a source of advice. One very revealing insight was Ford's sense of humor (that was buried from public view by the events of the times). For example during Ford's presidency, the author was subjected to a rather boorish prank that involved a hotel room and sheep by other members of the White House pool reporters when the President was giving a major address outside of Washington. Although not a participant in the prank, it required Presidential authorization to get barnyard animals past the Secret Service and federal and local authorities. Ford was clearly not the dullard his detractors portrayed him as.

Nothing earth shattering in the book, but it offers Ford's POV, his emotional and intellectual reactions to the events and people of the day, and how crushing it was for Ford to stand tall and do the right things while America endured one of its darkest hours.

If you were around and aware during these troubling times, the book is probably more meaningful than if you weren't. Its a quick read - I polished it off round tripping from Detroit to LA and back. I have more respect for Jerry Ford today than I did before I read this book.
    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
      Its a quick read - I polished it off round tripping from Detroit to LA and back. I have more respect for Jerry Ford today than I did before I read this book.
      Heh.

Comment

• I think Jon is a bit young for the sixties' "on a trip" scene.

And, he's definitely not a hippie.
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Heh, not a hippie anymore, the military extracted that aspect from me. I vividly remember the first words spoken to me at basic training: "You, Jesus Christ, shut your f*cking mouth or I'll crucify you right here and now".

I'm older than I look - my wife (two years younger) has been accused of being a cradle robber... Doesn't hold true anymore, since I've gone gray over the last couple of years.
          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
            I think Jon is a bit young for the sixties' "on a trip" scene.

And, he's definitely not a hippie.
            ...that was a Gerald Ford reference.

Comment

• Rumors that ESPN is cutting Berman. THERE IS A GOD!!

Comment

• Berman is okay is REALLY tiny doses.

Comment

• ESPN isn't trying to fire Chris Berman.

He's retiring.

I'd listen to Chris Berman for 24 hours straight, if it meant I'd never have to hear Brent Pusberger again.

Comment

• Yeah, IDK that anybody "retires" from a gig like that. Given that ESPN appears to be replacing much of its on-air talent with younger, cheaper talking heads, it seems doubly suspicious.

Comment

• He's being pushed out. His contract isn't being renewed.

I enjoy Musberger, he calls a much better game than Berman.

Comment

• Well, that explains a lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                          He's being pushed out. His contract isn't being renewed.

I enjoy Musberger, he calls a much better game than Berman.
                          I like Musberger too. He calls a pretty good game and doesn't take it too seriously and has some fun with it
                          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Berman tries to hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I enjoyed last football season so much better, because I didn't have to watch even one game where Pusberger was behind the mike. Thank goodness the SEC Network took him away. I hope they keep him.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                                Berman tries to hard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                                He might try too much at times, but Boomer keeps it real, moreso than some of his colleagues.

I haven't seen too many games where Boomer is part of the announce team. I've only seen him in studio lately.

At any rate, he's 63 years old, and he's had a fine career. I hope he has a healthy and happy retirement.

Comment

Working...
                                X