Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M-Borg vs. THE Flavortown U Thread, Orig. by Buckeye Paul, absconded w/by talent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really, two things need to happen now.

First: Jim Tressel should offer his resignation. Gee and Smith can then cry some alligator tears, and "regretfully accept" his resignation. This saves them the embarrassment of having to fire him, which the NCAA may end up demanding in lieu of more harsh sanctions.

Then, Gee and Smith need to throw open the door to the NCAA and allow a completely transparent and unfettered investigation. Show that you want to get this whole thing out in the open, and resolved.

The longer they drag this thing out, the worse it will be for them in the end.

Personally, I'm hoping they go for the "Bill Clinton What Is IS" defense. Keep playing word games, and pull every slick legal maneuver in the book, to drag this thing out forever. The more egg they have on their faces after all this, the better.
    "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Tressel broke the rules and deserves to be punished for it. It doesn't make him a horrible human being, as many here insist. In fact, he's quite a decent man who did a dumb thing. None other than Brady Hoke has publicly stood by him and attested to his integrity.
      Tressel may be a decent man, but what he did was not a dumb thing. What he did was deliberately attempt to cover up a situation where several of his players would have been declared ineligible. A "dumb" thing would have been something that he overlooked, and was a mistake. (Read: Rich Rodriguez trusting compliance personnel in the Michigan athletic department)

What Tressel did had intent from the get-go. He was informed of a situation where his players could become ineligible, and instead of going to the university president or the athletic director, he went to the AGENT of one of the player's involved, and started working out a plan to cover it up. Then, when he was required to certify that HIS football program was compliant in all NCAA rules, he LIED. He knew of his situation, and he LIED.

That's not a "dumb mistake". It was a deliberate attempt to circumvent the rules.

He needs to offer his resignation, and Ohio State should accept it.

That is, if he really is the honorable man that he is reported to be, and if Ohio State is truly the bastion of everything good, that they proclaim themselves to be.

ps ... and Brady Hoke's comments have absolutely nothing to do with this. I doubt that Coach Hoke and Jim Tressel have spent very much time together. Coach Hoke's comments reflect the fact that he's a gentleman, who obviously feels that this situation doesn't need him to fan the flames. He's got more important matters to attend to.
      Last edited by lineygoblue; April 27, 2011, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• OSU fired Woody Hayes for punching an opposing player during an emotional moment but defends Tressel for knowingly playing ineligible players and lying to the NCAA. What's the difference? Woody was at the end of the road. The man who made Ohio State football was immediately thrown on the scrap heap because he was no longer useful. Tressel will not be fired because he's still useful, and he may be able to produce proof that his bosses knew of the violations from the beginning.
        I'll let you ban hate speech when you let me define hate speech.

Comment

• Originally posted by Regelbuck View Post
          one of my fellow OSU alum brothers said it best:

I guess I feel that allowing your players extra practice time is far more of a competitive advantage than allowing them to get some extra spending money for selling their own property.

I guess we have a difference in opinion on what constitutes a competitive advantage on the football field. I don't recall any UM players or coaches being suspended for practice gate even though one of the staffers lied for RRod to the NCAA.

This is not a pay for play scheme or a violation of amateurism. Additionally, this is not something any student athlete could do. In the entire B1G only OSU players could benefit from this, since they are the one's who won these items on the field of play. If their parents sold the items and gave them the money is it still a violation?

The staffer who lied to the NCAA was fired. RR was fired because he lost football games.

I am sure a low level staffer wasn't protecting his higher ups...regardless. I will gladly take the same penalty UM did. For what is obviously a far more serious competitive advantage. Add that to the most henous of all pay for plays schemes...Ed Martin, and it is a wonder I hear all this crap from the UM faithful...

Again my issue is with the nature of the crime involved as well as the obvious hypocrisy in the media's reporting.

Comment

• Wow. Just wow.

Michigan was thoroughly investigated by the NCAA. We were penalized for what we deserved to be penalized for.

In addition, the NCAA also found that the allegations against Michigan were NOT as serious as once alleged.

Jim Tressel LIED to keep Terrell Pryor eligible.

Deal with it.
            Last edited by lineygoblue; April 27, 2011, 09:09 AM.

Comment

• Thank you Oracle for summing that up perfectly!

Comment

• Pryor & 5 others.

Comment

• I hope you OSU boys get it eventually; you seem like good folks and it's understandable that the rhetoric coming from your end at this point isn't going to make much sense.

Interesting, the perspective that USC got nailed just on Reggie Bush and this is about 5 guys at a bare minimum. And then there's the repeat-offender thing with Troy Smith. That could be an indication that OSU could get socked even worse than USC. I guess we'll see in the end.

I remain interested in the reasions why OSU is hanging on to Tressell still if they think they can get Meyer. Just my speculation, but if backchannels had indicated that Meyer would take the job Tressell would have been gone by now. Then again, very possible that Meyer wouldn't make a decision until he knows if he's working with a full slate of scholarships and a post-season ban.

Comment

• I hope you OSU boys get it eventually; you seem like good folks and it's understandable that the rhetoric coming from your end at this point isn't going to make much sense. Surely it's been a series of very difficult-to-accept developments for you guys, and that can't be easy to process.

Interesting, the perspective that USC got nailed just on Reggie Bush and this is about 5 guys at a bare minimum. And then there's the repeat-offender thing with Troy Smith. That could be an indication that OSU could get socked even worse than USC. I guess we'll see in the end.

I remain interested in the reasions why OSU is hanging on to Tressell still if they think they can get Meyer. Just my speculation, but if backchannels had indicated that Meyer would take the job Tressell would have been gone by now. Then again, very possible that Meyer wouldn't make a decision until he knows if he's working with a full slate of scholarships and a post-season ban.

Comment

• ``Tressel may be a decent man''

Evidence that he's not amounts to a pretty big steaming pile which has been growing steadily for more than a decade. What evidence is there that he is?

Comment

• What's really interesting is that the whole cfb nation with media have all their eyes with guns loaded and cocked towards columbus. Saint jim seems to have made quite a few enemies over the years other than M. The M nation is just on the sidelines watching this s@*#fest go down. The way I forsee this being resolved, is who will have the most political influence with the ncaa. Its sink or swim with saint jim.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                          ``Tressel may be a decent man''

Evidence that he's not amounts to a pretty big steaming pile which has been growing steadily for more than a decade. What evidence is there that he is?

Only 2 out of every 10 child molesters in Ohio wear sweater vests.

Comment

• Originally posted by geo weidl View Post
                            What's really interesting is that the whole cfb nation with media have all their eyes with guns loaded and cocked towards columbus.
                            I think that is because everyone is still pissed about Auburn. With the ridiculous shit they have seeming gotten away with people have just had it.

Personally I'm hoping the NCAA is just gathering info with Auburn and will bring the hammer down in time, but letting them walk away with a national title in the meantime is pretty f'ing disgusting.

Comment

• Urban Meyer made it perfectly clear that he has left coaching and needs to be a father now to his two children. According to his daughter Nikki, a volleyball player at G T:

Last edited by Optimus Prime; April 27, 2011, 10:41 AM.
                              ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                                ``Tressel may be a decent man''

Do you think Steve Fisher is a horrible human being too?

Comment

Working...
                                X