No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There’s 50 teams that can beat anyone ranked 3-25.

Comment

• This is already one of the strangest football season I can remember. If I had to guess, I'd say the truncated 2020 season (for the vast majority of programs) along with a lot of opt-outs helped put team development way behind schedule. As a result we're seeing a lot of crappy play and wild swings in the rankings.

Does anyone actually believe Iowa is the third best team in the country? I sure don't. Or that Penn State is the 4th best? Nope. Cincinnati the FIFTH best team in America?? Uh, hell no. Oklahoma 6th? Sure don't look like it. I think OSU is clearly in the top 7 but keep going down the line. Is Michigan truly a top 10 team? Wouldn't normally think so,. BYU?? Uh, hell no,. So what gives? Nobody is good other than Bama and Georgia. That's what.

Recall that two weeks ago Texas A&M was #7 and Clemson was #9. They are both unranked today. Arkansas skyrocketed to #8 on the strength of beating now unranked Texas A&M and then subsequently got their shit kicked in 37-0. By the way, the Razorbacks are still #13 in the country. Does anyone really think they are the 13th best team in the country? Hell no.

What's it all mean? That this year, probably more than any I can remember, rankings are almost worthless. Teams hold certain rankings not because they are particularly good or great but because they simply have to put a name on that line.

Here's my playoff prediction after week 5 games.

Winner of the SECCG will be 13-0 and the 1 seed
      Loser of the SECCG will be 12-1 and the 3 seed
      OSU will be 12-1 Big Ten Champ and either the 2 or 4
      Oklahoma will either lose one of Texas and Okie State and get in at 12-1 or or win them both and go 13-0. If undefeated they will be the 2 seed.

So it will be:

1. Alabama
      2. Ohio State
      3. Georgia
      4. Oklahoma

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Enjoy the games. Root for your teams. But it's all gonna be a bunch of chaotic nonsense from now until Selection Sunday when the same teams rise from the trash heap of CFB 2021.
      Last edited by Mike; October 4, 2021, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• I think we are going to see a few years of this. The transfer portal has changed a lot, it's going to be in flux for a awhile. It will shake out eventually and the same old crooked cabal will be on top.

Comment

• 1. Alabama
          2. Ohio State
          3. Georgia
          4. Oklahoma
          Damn, all you’re missing is Clemson and it’s the most college football Playoff ever.

I’m still hopeful that we will see a wild card team make the Playoff this season, but they’ll likely be blown out by Bama or Georgia.
          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• I don't mind Cincinnati getting in the playoffs if they go 13-0. These big schools scheme everything to their advantage and squeal like stuck hogs if a non-traditional team gets in. It's why the National Football League is so far superior, it gets rid of these pointless comparisons of schedules. That shit is dumb as hell. 14 teams get in and you play for a winner.

Comment

• I don't know how you can keep the Bengals and Joe B out...
              Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• I don't mind Cincy getting in either. FWIW I don't consider getting assraped by Alabama to be a privilege worth battling for, but that's just me.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                  I think we are going to see a few years of this. The transfer portal has changed a lot, it's going to be in flux for a awhile. It will shake out eventually and the same old crooked cabal will be on top.
                  That's also a big factor. There's a lot more roster churn to deal with which affects continuity.

Comment

• I'm firmly against G5 schools ever getting in the playoff and I hope they never do. There's no way a 13-0 Cincinnati should get in over a 12-1 conference champ from a P5 conference, ala OSU or Oklahoma in my above scenario.

This year's Cincy team has the best shot of any of the JV teams to date.

Comment

• That's why the National Football League is so much better, you don't have to deal with that stuff.

Comment

• In the NFL, you play 16 games in a 32 team league. Parity is partially enforced by drafting order and salary cap. In the NCAA, you play 12 games in a 130 team grouping, plus one if you win your division. And there is no provision for parity, other than the 85 scholarship limit. SOS weighting in college football is inevitable and, short of about a 64-team playoff, it will always be a critical part of the post season.

Comment

• Each weekend in college football, there is one main character. The goal is to never be it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                            In the NFL, you play 16 games in a 32 team league. Parity is partially enforced by drafting order and salary cap. In the NCAA, you play 12 games in a 130 team grouping, plus one if you win your division. And there is no provision for parity, other than the 85 scholarship limit. SOS weighting in college football is inevitable and, short of about a 64-team playoff, it will always be a critical part of the post season.
                            I'm aware of the arguments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                              In the NFL, you play 16 games in a 32 team league. Parity is partially enforced by drafting order and salary cap. In the NCAA, you play 12 games in a 130 team grouping, plus one if you win your division. And there is no provision for parity, other than the 85 scholarship limit. SOS weighting in college football is inevitable and, short of about a 64-team playoff, it will always be a critical part of the post season.
                              17 games, you fucking asshat moron.
                              Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                              Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Correct
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X