No announcement yet.

The Rest of College Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll go ahead and try to predict the top 6 for the CFP tonight.

1. Alabama -- easy one to start. They only have 1 quality win, but I still think they'll get the defending champs treatment...plus, they've sort of assrailed everyone.

2. Clemson. They have 3 quality wins. They beat Louisville at home, and have ROAD wins against Auburn and FSU, both of whom will be in the top 25 -- with Auburn probably closer to 10.

3. Michigan. They have 3 quality wins, but all were at home. And I don't know how closely the CFP looks at it, but against CU the QB injury was significant, and PSU played w/ 2 walk-on LBs -- not that the outcome would have changed in either, but the margin might have. They don't really have a chance to add to the resume until they play OSU. So, I think they're generally unimpressive schedule lands them at #3 even if the "look test" may have them ahead of Clemson.

4. Washington. They finally have a quality win and it's on the road. We'll see if Utah holds up, though. Right now their schedule is way worse than M's and even Louisville's with almost no prospects for real improvement -- that is to say, Utah is as likely to drop off as Wazzu is to rise.

5. Ohio State. I'm going with SoS as opposed to the "look test." OSU has ROAD wins against a top 10 Badgers squad and top 15 Sooner squad. Their narrow loss was to a top 25 school on the road. They still have Nebraska and M at home. UNL will probably finish in the top 20 and M will be #2 or #3 in the CFP when they play OSU. It's a shame OSU lost to PSU because I do think a 1-loss OSU team would have beat out a 1-loss Louisville team if it came down to that.

6. Louisville. 1 QW. Their beatdown of FSU was impressive, and their only loss was on the road to Clemson. But I don't think that's enough to overcome OSU's wins. Plus, 2 of the last 3 weeks they failed the "look test." They have almost no ability to grow their SoS. It's basically a home win over FSU at the beginning of the season. That's it.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I also think that if Wisconsin wins out they'll go ahead of Louisville.

And in the remote scenario where M loses before playing OSU, OSU beats M and PSU wins out -- sending PSU to the CCG -- I think OSU would go ahead of Louisville if Washington slipped up.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
        I'll go ahead and try to predict the top 6 for the CFP tonight.

1. Alabama -- easy one to start. They only have 1 quality win, but I still think they'll get the defending champs treatment...plus, they've sort of assrailed everyone.

2. Clemson. They have 3 quality wins. They beat Louisville at home, and have ROAD wins against Auburn and FSU, both of whom will be in the top 25 -- with Auburn probably closer to 10.

3. Michigan. They have 3 quality wins, but all were at home. And I don't know how closely the CFP looks at it, but against CU the QB injury was significant, and PSU played w/ 2 walk-on LBs -- not that the outcome would have changed in either, but the margin might have. They don't really have a chance to add to the resume until they play OSU. So, I think they're generally unimpressive schedule lands them at #3 even if the "look test" may have them ahead of Clemson.

4. Washington. They finally have a quality win and it's on the road. We'll see if Utah holds up, though. Right now their schedule is way worse than M's and even Louisville's with almost no prospects for real improvement -- that is to say, Utah is as likely to drop off as Wazzu is to rise.

5. Ohio State. I'm going with SoS as opposed to the "look test." OSU has ROAD wins against a top 10 Badgers squad and top 15 Sooner squad. Their narrow loss was to a top 25 school on the road. They still have Nebraska and M at home. UNL will probably finish in the top 20 and M will be #2 or #3 in the CFP when they play OSU. It's a shame OSU lost to PSU because I do think a 1-loss OSU team would have beat out a 1-loss Louisville team if it came down to that.

6. Louisville. 1 QW. Their beatdown of FSU was impressive, and their only loss was on the road to Clemson. But I don't think that's enough to overcome OSU's wins. Plus, 2 of the last 3 weeks they failed the "look test." They have almost no ability to grow their SoS. It's basically a home win over FSU at the beginning of the season. That's it.
        I'd pretty much have the same order except with Louisville #5 and OSU #6. The last 2 weeks OSU has struggled (yes Louisville did the same last week). I think the committee doesn't really look at your schedule in the future and where you might be, instead they look at where the team is right now.

Comment

• Yeah, but Duke is actually considerably worse than nFw, and Virginia is god-fucking-awful.

Louisville has been really unimpressive since losing at Clemson.

OSU has been poop on a stick, too, but if you're inclined to think Wisky and Penn State are good, then it's understandable.

So -- it's clear OSU's quality wins are way better than Louisville. Two road wins against teams that the CFP will absolutely rank higher than FSU. I tend to think they focus on those wins more than anything else.

But, we'll see.

Comment

• I think M comes in at 2, Clemson at 3. The reason is the efficiency of all three of M's units is going to come in higher than Clemson's. I think you're overvaluing SOS. I may be overvaluing the computer models.

I'm not sure about osu. Their offensive efficiency is in the shitter (ESPN #16) but so is Clemson and I don't get that (#25)

It will be interesting.
            Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I don't think Auburn, at the time Clemson played them, was a "quality win" - their adjustments in scheme and play-calling definitely make them a quality win now.
              "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• And it pisses me off that the teams we played shit the bed after we played them:

USC was 19th - now "others receiving votes"
                Ole Miss was 18th - now zilch
                Tennessee was 9th - now "others receiving votes"
                Arkansas was 16th - now "others receiving votes"
                Texas A&M was 6th - now 7th - THANK GOD FOR THE AGGIES!

LSU and Auburn coming up....
                "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Texas A&M is #4 is the first ranking.
                  Good job committee, you captured my interest for a few seconds... then realized this doesn't matter.
                  AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• "And it pisses me off that the teams we played shit the bed after we played them:"

They didn't shit the bed. They were no damn good to begin with. Should teams get early season credit for beating a highly rated Notre Dame? Of course not. All they found out later is that they beat a crummy team.

The only quality wins are against teams who are highly rated in a given week, and those obviously change with each week.

Comment

• All of Clemson's close wins don't 'ding' them more? I'd certainly put M a step above them. Ranking Clemson so high pretty much guarantees the ACC will get a representative even if Clemson falters (not likely with their easy schedule remaining); Louisville would get their spot.

Washington has played a super soft schedule thanks to Stanford & Oregon being down. They needed some help (punt return vs Utah had a couple blocks in the back) to put away Utah. They are Pac 12's best team but I could see them dropping a game before the end of the season with USC & Washington State left which would put A&M in play if they drop a game...

Agree with committee that A&M is best 1-loss team and so far, SEC West is excellent. They have games vs gimme, gimme along with Ole Miss & LSU left so they could drop another game.

Ohio State (deservingly) very much in it, they just need to win out. Really wish we played The Game at home this season but M's schedule has been fortunate enough with Wisconsin, Colorado & Penn State (all top 15) at home.

Comment

• Missed on aTm. But would have had top 6 right. CFP is about quality wins.

Comment

• Washington doesn't really have any good wins except at Utah.
                          They beat a disappointing Stanford team at home and put up 70 points on a Brady Hoke defense. Congrats.
                          AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                            Missed on aTm. But would have had top 6 right. CFP is about quality wins.
                            How about quality losses?

Comment

• I think teams are judged first on your best wins and then on your losses.

Comment

• Upshot is they think highly of the B10.

OSU has played road night games against 8, 12 and 14.

Comment

Working...
                                X