No announcement yet.

Around the Big Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• even if we knew then, we'd still tell you we were the best... because the program was the standard... and really, nobody has matched it yet.
    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
      And really, our AD hired Al Golden at Miami and he just got fired (for not winning). We probably should have noted that a guy struggling to win at miami was not a good sign for the type of coach our AD was going to hire
      Shawn Eichorst was an Assistant AD at Wisconsin when Al Golden was hired by Miami.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
        the program has this problem where winning isn't good enough. You have to win the "Nebraska Way".
        If Michigan's experience is telling, that can only last so long before people become more open-minded.
        Hopefully...we have a pretty deluded fanbase though. There is self-identification and mythos involved which is different from what Michigan has gone through, and shows little sign of dissipating after almost 20 years.

Chasing ghosts.

Comment

• Well, lets hope they get it out of their system quickly. It sucks for all of CFB when traditional powers struggle for a .500 record. Growing up for me, there were 3 must see games a season: Alabama-Auburn, Oklahoma-Nebraska, and UM-osu. I want Neb back and I want them to restart the series (even though it'd now be OOC). Do it, dammit! Now!
          “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• B1G needs a program or two in the B1G West to be good to very good; a top 15 program like Wisconsin was or better yet two top 20 programs...

I'd like it to be Illinois but they make one awful head coaching hire after another. Nebraska is the best bet, they have the tradition, facilities going for them; they are just imo too far away from any good local talent. Really like what Fitzgerald is doing at NW but their upside isn't particularly high. Ditto for both the Gophers & Hawkeyes on the upside; potential top 25 programs if they have really good coaching staffs...

Not sure where Wisconsin is headed, haven't seen much of them this season to know that programs trajectory under Chryst. I did expect them to drop off considerably this season due to a ton of graduation from '15... Sorry but Purdue is hopeless...

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
              B1G needs a program or two in the B1G West to be good to very good; a top 15 program like Wisconsin was or better yet two top 20 programs...
              Y'know, thinking back to our Big 12 experience, that's probably not true. We won the NC in 1997 when the Big 12 South was a mess; Texas and OU were 4-win teams, and while A&M won the division at 9-2 they got shit on by Nebraska and Kansas State 117-32 collectively. There was more balance in 2000 when Oklahoma won it, but by the time Texas won theirs in 2005 (and when OU played for it in 2004) the Big 12 North was worse than BIG West is now.

If the East is as strong as people think it will be, that will provide enough SOS respect to make the playoffs.

Comment

• No you didn't.

Comment

• College football is different now with CFP. I think playing a tough team in CCG helps your resume against other 1 loss teams...

Last season if B1G doesn't have CCG Ohio state doesn't make it in. Last season if Ohio state plays 8-4 team, maybe they don't get in...

I see playing a good opponent in CCG as a tiebreaker of sorts relative to teams with same W-L records in the Pac 12, ACC, etc.

Comment

• It matters if you lose a game early and if your division is not so good. However, the most you need is a team in the top 15 or so for the CG -- and Wisky was #13, I think. The West ought to be able to generate that much.

The other side is that if the the East "rises," then with the B10 going to 9 conference games a good West will make it considerably more difficult to go 11-1. Next year Ohio State has the East + Nebraska + Wisconsin (and then at Oklahoma). The year after they are at Nebraska and at Iowa. If those programs are good then that's a schedule
                    that easily could get you two (or more) losses.

Meh wins > quality losses.
                    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Ohio State doesn't lose to B10 teams though.

B10 needs teams like Illinois and Purdue to become respectable again. With the $60 million Purdue is using towards their football facilities, that helps long term. Their campus is already very nice with all the buildings added recently.
                      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Whether the B10 needs that or not is debatable and I come down on the "no" side. The B10 has been what is has been for decades without Illinois or Purdue being consistently good.

From a conference perspective -- and that perspective is financial -- Purdue football doesn't move the meter and neither does Illinois. Big names move the meter. From a conference financial perspective it's far more important, IMO, that Penn State, M and Nebraska are good because those teams move the meter. Purdue and Illinois could both be undefeated and playing the final game of the season for the West and, IMO, that game wouldn't come close to outdrawing any "big name" head-to-head showdown provided both teams are good.

From an Ohio State or M perspective, there's absolutely no need for Purdue or Illinois to be good.
                        Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
                        Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• STFU
                          Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Respectable as in not 1-11 / loses to Marshall, Rice, Toledo (teams like that).
                            Otherwise what is Ohio State (and the rest of the B10) beating when they defeat Purdue, Eastern Michigan?
                            AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Every conference has its doormats. Purdue is one of ours. I've made my peace with it.

Comment

• Exactly, though it's nice when those doormats have periods of being bowl eligible to make them appear to be more than perennial doormats.

Comment

Working...
                                X