Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want to get too far down into a rabbit hole on this thread...eh FUCK IT! Heh. So, I mean consecutive years. Frankly, UAT has recruited the shit out of every position in the long term. Here's what I'm talking about:

Garrett Wilson. #20 OVR, #2 Pos., 247 Composite: 0.9903
    Jameson Williams. 86, 13, 0.9621

Julian Fleming. 3, 1, 0.9979
    Jason Smith-Ngba. 28, 5, 0.9856
    Gee Scott. 65, 13, 0.9703
    Mooke Cooper. 91, 16, 0.9578

Marvin Harrison, 58, 8, 0.9738
    Jayden Ballard, 68, 12, 0.9664
    Emeka Egbuka (????) (8, 1, 0.9948)

So, the 8 highest rated recruited WRs on the 2021 roster will average 0.9755 on the Composite (that's be #52 OVR on this year's Composite). If Egbuka commits -- and I think Ohio State is a fairly big favorite, then the 9 highest rated WR recuits would be 0.9776 (#44 OVR).

I don't know what UAT's recruiting for any position for any given 3-year window looks like. I imagine there is something comparable. But, man, that's strong -- especially if they get Egbuka. Wilson, Fleming, JSN and Egbuka + 5 other high 4* players.

Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Ahh, I was talking about being drafted after the career.

Amari Cooper: Rd 1
      Ardarius Stewart: Rd 3
      Calvin Ridley: Rd 1
      Henry Ruggs: Rd 1
      Jerry Jeudy: Rd 1
      Devonta Smith: I think he will be a 1st rounder
      Jaylen Waddle: 1st or early second round.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• For a single season, no one will ever surpass UAT starting 4 first round picks at WR. I mean, LSU had stupid good WRs and they were merely the 2nd best WR group in their own fucking division.

I think they were all pretty highly rated recruits, too. Or at least almost all.

Comment

• It’s a pity that they finished 2019 with a lesser version of AJ McCarron.
          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• But TOSUC’s WR classes have been ridiculous.

Comment

• Mac was good enough to beat HARBAUGH!!!! and DON BROWN!!!! though. But, they only scored, what...35? That IS pretty embarrassing.

Comment

• AJ(2.0) aka PickSixJones had a set of NFL starting WRs and looked like dogshit until the 3rd quarter.

Comment

• I miss football.

Comment

• Yeah. Will we get it back? I hope so. Alabama seems to think we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                      Yeah. Will we get it back? I hope so. Alabama seems to think we will.
                      I'm not counting on it and for an optimist like I usually am, that's something.

I think I saw a news feed item, maybe from the BTN, that said (paraphrased), there will be no NCAA sports until college campuses re-open.

That's going to be a high bar to get over and we're trying to look through a smoked glass window to look into the future and predict anything.

As far as I'm concerned, even by August or as late as September, I don't see campuses re-opening in anything that even approximates normal campus and class-room life.

Pro-sports are almost all planning on playing without fans and that approach goes well into the future of an NFL season.

I have heard the NFL is looking at fans watching from the stands on a limited basis but, man, the entire plan seems whacky - like staggered entry, appropriate space between seats, no food or bar service. Ask me why I'm going to buy a ticket to go watch a Falcons game in ATL or a Dolphins game in Miami and go through that kind of BS when I can watch it on the TV.
                      Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Originally posted by AlabamAlum View Post
                        Yeah. Will we get it back? I hope so. Alabama seems to think we will.
                        Do you mean this year? I am highly doubtful on that. College football face a very difficult challenge coming back this year. Consider the following:

1) If your university is not having classes (or doing distance learning) going to be very hard to have players playing games. That would shatter the illusion of the college-athlete and the NCAA is clinging to that like a man in the ocean, miles away from everyone, to a piece of rotted driftwood.

2) CFB is very big business and a lot of universities depend on it to pay for the rest of their athletics. However, most universities make a ton off the game day experience itself (not so much in the NFL) and not having fans being able to attend games very well might put them in an even deeper hole monetary wise.

3) Football is played in extremely close quarters this only provides more opportunities for the virus to spread.

4) Conferences are spread over several states and with no national policy it is up to each state to decide on their own what is essential and when to start reopening. It is certainly very possible that several teams in a conference might still be locked down via state orders. Are teams just going to skip those games?

5) What is the policy when a player gets covid 19? For example....Billy Joe Henry is the starting QB for the Alabama Annies. His test comes back negative and plays against the Alabama Sabans. And the Sabans treat the Annies the redhead's redheaded step children. On the Monday after the game Billy Jo Henry is tested and it comes back positive. Now, you have to isolate everyone that Billy Jo was in contact with for a couple weeks to see if they have the virus.

What happens when a player or team says screw it----our guys don't have it---that is the Annies problem not the Saban Gods problem?

2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• I think the NFL is extremely likely to come back. I think CFB has a few issues associated with "students." I know people are saying they're not going to have sports until students are back on campus, but I think that could be modified to include distance education.

Here's where I think we are with sports:

(1) South Korea is playing baseball. Germany is going to start soccer this month. We will see how that goes. Other leagues will start up, too. That will inform decisions in the US.

(2) Testing players is not difficult. I imagine it'll be done on an almost daily basis. If you contract it, then you'll have to quarantine.

(3) You're talking about the lowest risk people. Humans under 30 (more or less) -- almost all under 40 for professionals.

(4) The concern is older staff/coaches -- to the extent there really is a concern.

So, I can definitely see them going forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post

I'm not counting on it and for an optimist like I usually am, that's something.

I think I saw a news feed item, maybe from the BTN, that said (paraphrased), there will be no NCAA sports until college campuses re-open.

That's going to be a high bar to get over and we're trying to look through a smoked glass window to look into the future and predict anything.

As far as I'm concerned, even by August or as late as September, I don't see campuses re-opening in anything that even approximates normal campus and class-room life.

Pro-sports are almost all planning on playing without fans and that approach goes well into the future of an NFL season.

I have heard the NFL is looking at fans watching from the stands on a limited basis but, man, the entire plan seems whacky - like staggered entry, appropriate space between seats, no food or bar service. Ask me why I'm going to buy a ticket to go watch a Falcons game in ATL or a Dolphins game in Miami and go through that kind of BS when I can watch it on the TV.
                            James Franklin was babbling last week something about "Well, if only 25% of the conference can't open, why punish the other 75%?" .. or some stupid thing like that. Basically his point was, he feels the football season should proceed, even if only 8-9 teams from the conference can actually play.

In spite of Franklin's harebrained plea's, there will be no college football, or any fall/winter college sports at all, until students come back to campus. And no school is going to open their campus to thousands of students from all over the world, until the COVID threat goes away. From all I've read, its not happening any time soon. In fact, I'll be surprised if there have been any kind of college sports even as far away as a year from today. Universities are just not going to open themselves up to another round of this virus, only to have it traced back to them, and make them liable for people getting sick. Its just not happening.

I think college sports will return in the fall of 2021, as long as a vaccine is available. I don't see any college sports happening before that.
                            "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Lines ..... I think your case is worst case and that's looking through a very clouded up window.

Best case is a Franklin scenario or something like it......and this has to come with the blessing of the NCAA on some kind of uniform testing protocol that talent mentions above. No question, you test + for the virus, you get quarantined. You don't practice and you don't play.

Generally, contact tracing serves notice to individuals who have met predefined criteria to get traced (for example, proximate contact within 2m, for some period of time > 5 minutes). Of course that's going to happen to football players. Those people can continue to participate, could get tested on a daily basis and if they develop symptoms or test +, quarantino, baby.

Speaking of the NCAA as a useful body in this tight-rope act. If it wasn't for their general incompetence historically, I think they could serve a purpose here as a unifying body. I'd want the right people from the schools - medical, admin and coaches - though to be directly involved in the decision making process going forward with a hybrid season and then monitoring the implementation and follow-up.

It would be best if a hybrid season, testing protocols and the like be on a national basis. That could be hard but doable.

Emmert or any of his clown staff in charge in isolation and on their own? No.
                              Last edited by Jeff Buchanan; May 11, 2020, 12:20 PM.
                              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• I think the linchpin to college sports in 2020/21 is students being allowed to live on campus. If the schools believe they can safely open campuses, their residence halls, classrooms, etc., then there will be college sports. The million-dollar question is, will that assurance come before mid-August? I just feel that is going to be too soon to have those kinds of assurances. Even the students themselves are going to be antsy about moving into residence halls, fraternity houses, and the like, while there is still a threat that this thing could explode again. That's the reason for my lack of optimism for this season. Even if the universities feel they can open, will the students move in?

The new Big Ten commissioner has already said that the overwhelming opinion within the conference is that the 2020/21 season is a all-or-nothing proposition. They won't have sports that involve only part of the conference. Either everyone participates, or nobody does. And, he said that the key to all this is the schools opening to students.

I agree it would be disappointing if say, 10 schools open to students, but 4 do not, and that ends up canceling or delaying the season.

The next question would be (and this is where Emmert comes in), if the Big Ten decided to not play this fall, will Emmert say, "Oh well, we'll miss you Big Ten", and move on without them, or would he try to keep everyone together and delay the season to a time when the Big Ten felt safe(r) to play? That's where this whole thing could fall apart.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to see classes resume in the fall as normal, and see all the fall sports go along as scheduled. That would mean that this thing is under control enough to where people feel safe to play, go to school, and move about fairly close to normal. But, I'm not optimistic, as you said.
                                "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

Working...
                                X