B1G/NCAA basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officiating in this game is just awful. Let them play — at least a little
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• This game is just bread and circuses for the royalty of the Big Ten. Dance for me, clown!!

I’m watching to see how MSU will handle Dickinson and the answer is: No.

Comment

• Holtman shares your frustration.

Comment

• Brutal. JFA.

Comment

• Shitty, ugly game dominated by refs. Total opposite of the UM-OSU game which was fun to watch despite losing. Can't blame Holtmann for speaking his mind there at the end.

Comment

• Entertaining game. Izzo doing Izzo things.
              Funny because I’ve only watched like five MSU games this year... including the last three. Last three MSU games give me an impression that they can make some noise in March. Spooky Aaron Henry. Joey Hauser the troll.

Yeah seems like the refs were too involved ...
              AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• There were some bad calls against the Sparty, too. But, man, Liddell and Washington were abused in end of game possessions and got nothing. Mostly Ohio State just played a really shitty 2nd half. If they had put up an expected 36-38 in the 2nd -- and that's just a decent half -- they win going away. And Sparty got two off-the-ball fouls in a row that helped them go from down 63-60 to up 64-63. But, they key play was a 3 by Hauser that kept them in the game.

Oh well, that's basketball.

Oh -- and also -- why was Washington's 3pter waived off in the 1st H on the shot clock when it was out of his hands with 1 on the clock -- maybe ESPN wasn't synced up? But whoa -- that was a legitimately awful OVERTURN.
                Last edited by iam416; February 26, 2021, 07:27 AM.

Comment

• fuckin' refs
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Latest Lunardi (2/26)

1 Ohio State (Region 4), Michigan (Region 3)
                    2 Illinois (Region 2)
                    3 Iowa (Region 1, down)
                    5 Wisconsin (Region 2)
                    6 Purdue (Region 4, down)
                    8 Rutgers (Region 2)
                    9 Maryland (Region 1, up)
                    11 Indiana (Region 4, play in game, #1 Last Four In)

Minnesota #1 Last Four Out
                    Michigan State #4 Last Four Out
                    2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Latest Bubble WATCH

Big Ten

Locks: Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin
                      Should be in

Purdue Boilermakers

In a season in which headlines in the Big Ten have been dominated by the likes of Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois and Iowa, the Boilermakers have quietly put themselves in position to earn a very good spot in the bracket in their own right. Matt Painter's men have games remaining at Penn State and at home against Wisconsin and Indiana. If, for the sake of discussion, Purdue won out, you would be looking at a team that is 18-8 and 13-6 in the historically strong Big Ten. While the Boilermakers are currently seen as a likely No. 6 seed, a few more wins could change that number.

Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Steve Pikiell's team will finish Big Ten play no worse than 9-11, and, with games remaining at Nebraska and Minnesota, it's possible the Scarlet Knights will better that mark. The team's No. 8 seed in mock brackets and wins over Illinois, Purdue, Maryland and a season sweep of Indiana all say that Rutgers is going to the tournament. Yes, anything can happen, and, no, Bubble Watch doesn't recommend that the Scarlet Knights go 0-2 to end the regular season and then 0-1 in the Big Ten tournament. Nevertheless, this is a stronger position than anyone thought possible after Rutgers lost five straight.
                      Work to do

Indiana Hoosiers

While losing a game at Rutgers need not be detrimental to a team's tournament chances, the defeat suffered by Indiana in Piscataway, New Jersey, does indeed have that effect. The Hoosiers entered the contest projected as a No. 12 seed. Now, at 12-11 and 7-9 in the Big Ten, Archie Miller's team has no room to fall. Michigan is coming to IU this weekend, and a win over the Wolverines would certainly turn this profile around (a profile that, after all, still contains a season sweep over Iowa). After that, Indiana plays road games at Michigan State and Purdue. How many wins do the Hoosiers get from that three-game stretch? Two would be heroic, one might not be enough, and zero will mean IU needs a near-legendary run in the Big Ten tournament.

Maryland Terrapins

When the Terrapins were 10-10 and 4-9 in the Big Ten, we here at Bubble Watch HQ had to preface any remarks about the team with an explanation for why Mark Turgeon's group was still here in the first place. No need for disclaimers anymore. Maryland has won four straight, including wins over Minnesota and on the road at Rutgers. Now you're looking at a 14-10 and 8-9 team with a top-35 NET ranking and an embarrassment of riches in the "good win" column (at Illinois, at Wisconsin, at Rutgers, at home against Purdue and the season sweep of the Golden Gophers). Purveyors of mock brackets have taken note, and the Terps are commonly shown as one of the last teams in the field.

Michigan State Spartans

Our ESPN colleague Robbie Hummel put it best: "Michigan State may not have an NCAA tournament resume, but this is an NCAA tournament team." To be sure, the resume has improved markedly with wins over Indiana, Illinois and Ohio State. That three-game run should be sufficient to put a 7-9 Big Ten team with a low NET ranking in "next four out" territory. To actually play their way into the field of 68 (and to do so on primarily the strength of the regular season), the Spartans will in all probability need at least three wins in their final four games. MSU has a road date at Maryland, hosts Indiana and finishes with a two-game, home-and-home series against Michigan. Perhaps more likely than this 3-1 finish, however, is a scenario in which Michigan State arrives at the Big Ten tournament with work still to be done.

Minnesota Golden Gophers

When you lose at home to Northwestern and were projected as a No. 12 seed before tipoff, there's a decent chance you'll simply disappear from the Watch entirely before the next sunrise. So let's come to a proper understanding. The only -- and Bubble Watch means only -- thing keeping Minnesota here as a team potentially in line for an at-large bid is the fact that Richard Pitino's men have a favorable schedule the rest of the way. In fact, by Big Ten 2021 standards, you could call it extremely favorable. The Golden Gophers will play road games at Nebraska and Penn State before finishing up at home against Rutgers. Win out and you're 16-11 and 9-11 in the Big Ten. Lose one of those three, on the other hand, and, well, let's just say it would be better to win those games.
                      2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Waiving off the Washington 3 was bizarre. Clearly should have counted if ESPN’s clock was right.

Minnesota quietly lost to Northwestern last night. Gophers are falling apart. No idea what happened to them because they were a tough team when they beat M a month ago.

Not much basketball tonight. Purdue or Loyola Chicago game are the only games of interest to me.
                        Looking forward to Baylor vs Kansas this weekend.
                        With the tourney being a few weeks away, starting to have that itch to pay attention to other college basketball games...
                        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• For the first time in ages, I found myself thinking I'd like to see a Michigan vs Baylor or Michigan vs Gonzaga, and I believe that Michigan would stand a decent chance of beating both. I have nothing like the sense of dread when it comes to watching Michigan football, facing good teams.
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Amen to that. Anyone, anywhere with this basketball team.

I actually tuned in to most of the Baylor game on Tuesday night. They were coming off a 21 day Covid break and were playing host to an Iowa State team that was 2-16 coming in. ISU went up 20 at one point but Baylor came back to win 77-72. I know its not much to go on but I wasn't that impressed. Especially since we've been told all year that it's Gonzaga/Baylor and everyone else. Baylor, btw, has a strength of schedule of 109 and Gonzaga's is 101 according to Kenpom. Michigan is up to 17.
                            Last edited by Mike; February 26, 2021, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Yeah, I also saw that ESPN showed highlights of Gonzaga beating "Santa Clara State", last night, and the ESPN reporters were talking about how great Gonzaga's shooters are.

And I'm sitting there wondering, "Who is Santa Clara State"? Michigan has played a meat grinder schedule, compared to what they've played. Even with the 3 week layoff, Michigan's schedule is better.

I think Gonzaga would have trouble hanging in the top 5 in the Big Ten.
                              "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• delusional
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X