No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump's approval right now....pretty much same as it ever was. If this latest episode is going to have any impact it probably won't show up till Friday. I suspect little change.

FiveThirtyEight is tracking Donald Trump’s approval ratings throughout his presidency.

Comment

• There might be a dip in approval but it will be ephemeral unless he continues to press the issue. The judge Curiel affair dropped his approval 2 or 3 points, but once he shuts up it floats back up. It certainly excites the base.

Comment

• This is a pretty big deal. Pelosi draws a line in the sand. Won't raise the debt ceiling unless it's part of a larger budget deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
          This is a pretty big deal. Pelosi draws a line in the sand. Won't raise the debt ceiling unless it's part of a larger budget deal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.3e0c14b574ef

She will have that position until her donors tell her not to have it. Or until she caves. I give it a couple weeks at most.
          2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• The debt limit is a stupid thing to draw a line on, it should be raised without any brinksmanship. It was totally stupid when the idotic Freedom Caucus held it hostage, it's a bluff that can never be called. There shouldn't even need to be a vote for this stupid thing, the limit raise should be automatically raised.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
              This is a pretty big deal. Pelosi draws a line in the sand. Won't raise the debt ceiling unless it's part of a larger budget deal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.3e0c14b574ef
              I get the news cycle and the loss of impact of a single event on Trump's popularity after a week. But I think Trump is now experiencing the impact of cumulative buffoonery.

It's probably wrong to cast my sense of this on the general electorate but I think I represent the kind of conservative republican that (1) votes and (2) Trump needs to be convinced he is fit for office - which, at this point, I doubt he is. This group to which I say I belong can probably be described as one that valued most of his administration's policies to the extent that they were willing to overlook his character flaws.

The problem for me has been while I may support most of the Trump administration's policies, it is becoming clear that the implementation of them suffers from his often contradictory presentation to the public of them as well as his penchant to intervene in an ongoing process in a way that is disruptive to it. The administration's policy on declearization of the Korean Peninsula and trade are examples.
              Mission to CFB's National Championship accomplished. JH chased Saban from Alabama and caused Day, at the point of the OSU AD's gun, to make major changes to his staff just to beat Michigan. Love it. It's Moore!!!! time

Comment

• Republicans virtue-signaling and throwing their own under the bus. Nothing new here.

Comment

• And the next James Bond will be a woman.

As we descend further and further into insanity...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
                    ....it is becoming clear that the implementation of (Trump policies) suffers from his ....penchant to intervene in an ongoing process in a way that is disruptive to it. The administration's policy on declearization of the Korean Peninsula and trade are examples.

The trouble is, trade and NoKo are tied together. Being interconnected, Trump's innate transactional rather than strategic thinking works against him. We could denuke the Korean Peninsula in a month. Here's how it plays. The US agrees to not bring nuclear weapons within 100 miles of Korean (either) waters, airspace or territories. China declares that an attack on NoKo would be considered an attack on China. NoKo turns over all weapons and fissionable material to China for destruction and disposal under the supervision of <insert nuke organization here>. The US lifts all sanctions. North and South sign a treaty ending the war.

What South Korea gets: Peace and a new trading partner.
                    What North Korea gets: Peace, free trade, military protection from China.
                    What China gets: Prestige and influence in brokering the denuclearization as THE Asian superpower.
                    What the US gets: One less despot with nukes, one less world flashpoint.

Clearly, we get the least out of the deal. That could be the perception needed to get all parties to agree. Paint NoKo into a corner where they really do have a chance to get everything they want (except nukes). Force Kim into a position that where he can be seen as singlehandedly bringing the world back from the brink of nuclear conflict and thereby bestowing economic prosperity upon the NoKo people. Frame the situation where he can be the world hero (tickling his inner Trump) or risk being undermined from within.

Sadly, China is the wild card. They have Trump over a barrel. They alone can bring this type of agreement about but they're engaged in a trade war with the US. You think for a minute that major trade concessions wouldn't be a back room requirement? You think Trump can be seen as agreeing to codify into treaty intellectual property theft that is one of, if not the, basis of the dispute? Our transactional president cannot grasp the complexity of these intertwined scenarios, beyond "wow, this shit is hard". He can't lean on his Russian overlord for help as they would demand concessions in Venezuela, Cuba, Syria, and Iran. Especially Iran, where fucking with the US by proxy would especially delight Putin whose support is flagging at home.
                    Last edited by Ghengis Jon; July 16, 2019, 07:47 AM.
                    “Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.” - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal View Post
                      And the next James Bond will be a woman.

As we descend further and further into insanity...

Comment

• Denouncing the racial version of America Love It or Leave It is a bare minimum virtue for any American citizen.

Comment

• Screenshot 2019-07-16 at 4.00.35 PM.png
                          I feel like I am watching the destruction of our democracy while my neighbors and friends cheer it on

Comment

• Fred Upton (MI-6)
                            Will Hurd (TX-23)
                            Susan Brooks (IN-5)
                            Brian Fitzpatrick (PA-1)

And Justin Amash...if he counts...the only Republicans to condemn Trump in the House.

Susan Brooks is retiring...can openly vote her conscience without fear of reprisal

The other three...if Trump gets furious and demands they be primaried, his aids better try to calm him down. Republicans could lose any one of those districts if they push through a drooling Trump sycophant. And Hurd is the ONLY black Republican in the House.

Comment

• She's not playing James Bond. Daniel Craig is. She's playing a character with the designation of 007.

Comment

• The Upton vote is a puzzler.

Comment

Working...
                                X