X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos list Melvin Gordon, Phillip Lindsay as co-starters

Posted by Charean Williams on September 7, 2020, 5:15 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Broncos released their depth chart Monday afternoon, and the first-team offense includes 13 names.

Only 11 will start, obviously, so it remains to be seen who the starters really are.

Melvin Gordon and Phillip Lindsay are listed as the co-starters at running back, and Jerry Jeudy and Tim Patrick are the co-starters at the receiver spot opposite Courtland Sutton.

It’s possible three of those four co-starters will take the field to start Week One. It’s doubtful all four are on the field for the first play.

Lloyd Cushenberry III won the starting center job.

The Broncos have rookie Michael Ojemudia at second-string cornerback behind Bryce Callahan. Davontae Harris is listed as A.J. Bouye‘s backup at the other corner spot.
    Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Report: Von Miller Injured Ankle Tendon, Likely Ending His Season

Trickalicious - I don't think it is fair that the division rivals get to play the Lions twice. The Lions NEVER get to play the Lions, let alone twice.

Comment

• Good for Josh and TB.

Bruce Arians happy to groom Josh Rosen

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 9, 2020, 6:03 AM EDT

Getty Images

It might seem humbling for Josh Rosen, to go from being the 10th overall pick in the draft to the practice squad.

But according to Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians, Rosen is in a better place now.

Rosen opted for the relative security of joining a solid staff where he can learn and develop, over joining a team which needed an extra for their 53-man roster. He also had some familiarity, as Bucs offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich had the same job for half of his one bad season in Arizona (after original coordinator Mike McCoy was fired midseason).

“I think it was an excellent move. Josh wanted to be here,” Bucs coach Bruce Arians said, via Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times. ”We wanted him here. I really liked him coming out [of college]. Byron had him for eight or nine games as a starter with a really bad football team. He was around Miami, he learned, he’s sharp, he’s big — he’s got everything you’re looking for, so it’s a great guy to groom.”

Getting to work with an excellent offensive coaching staff (which might actually be employed next year) is a benefit for Rosen, after he had eight coordinators since he was at UCLA. But he also has a shot to be a part of their post-Tom Brady future, and with the guaranteed money from his rookie deal, he had the flexibility to choose a growth opportunity.

Comment

• Eagles were thrilled when Lions waived Jason Huntley

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 8, 2020, 6:28 PM EDT

Getty Images

Jason Huntley was a big-play running back at New Mexico State, and when the Lions chose him in the fifth round of the draft, the Eagles were disappointed to see a third-day player they wanted go off the board. So when the Lions waived Huntley as part of their 53-man roster cutdowns, the Eagles weren’t going to let him get away.

Eagles coach Doug Pederson was pumped when Huntley became available.

We are excited about this player,” Pederson said, via Mike Kaye of NJ.com. “Excited about Huntley, excited to get him in the mix.”

The Eagles didn’t need to do any research on Huntley because they already knew he had big-time speed and had more than 2,000 rushing yards, more than 1,500 kickoff return yards and more than 1,000 receiving yards in his college career.

“He was a guy, a player that we had actually targeted back in the draft and through the draft process,” Pederson said. “He was on our draft board with many guys but obviously he caught our eye back then when we were evaluating running backs.”

It’s not known yet whether Huntley will be up to speed enough in the Eagles’ offense to be active in Week One, but the Eagles believe he can contribute as a rookie.
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They could have let Aboushi go (it's not like anyone is awaiting him being cut) and held onto Huntley. WTF do I know? They probably know best <sarc>

Comment

• Browns laud the “redemptive strides” Kareem Hunt has taken

Posted by Charean Williams on September 8, 2020, 5:13 PM EDT

Getty Images

The Browns signed running back Kareem Hunt when no one else wanted him in 2019. Now, the Browns have made clear Hunt is a big part of their team with a big role on offense.

The Browns on Tuesday afternoon announced the contract extension Hunt signed earlier in the day.

“Kareem Hunt is a core component of our offense,” General Manager Andrew Berry said in a statement. “He has been a great teammate, outstanding worker, and steadfast in his desire to have success in his hometown for the long term. Personal growth is often times non-linear, but Kareem has remained committed to becoming the best version of himself and we are proud of the redemptive strides he has taken. He understands the opportunity he has in front of him — provided he maintains his current personal trajectory — and we look forward to the contributions he will continue to make to our team.”

Hunt’s two-year contract extension will keep him in Cleveland through the 2022 season. The Cleveland native played the final eight games last season after serving an eight-game suspension.

He finished second on the Browns in rushing yards and third in receptions.

“Cleveland has always been home to me, and putting on the Orange & Brown has been THE dream growing up,” Hunt said on social media. “Being able to make it official, and play my heart out for the city I love for the next few years is a blessing.

“Today, I’m honored to sign this extension with the Cleveland Browns, and play next to my Dawg brothers for years to come. Thank you to Mr. and Mrs. Haslam, Andrew Berry, Coach Stefanski and the entire Browns’ organization for continuing to believe in me through the process, and as an integral part in the offensive scheme.

“To everyone who has also supported me – my family, mentors, friends, and off-the-field team – thank you for continuing to be my “why.” All and continued thanks to God the Good Lord for the guidance, strength, blessings and opportunity to be in this position.

“And, of course, a BIG thank you to the entire DAWG POUND for welcoming me back home. I promise to continue to push and work hard to bring a championship here for you all, representing the best team in the NFL, and make a lasting impact in the community and on the field.”

Comment

• Fvck cancer! Go get em Riverboat Ron! 🙏🙏🙏

Ron Rivera missed Tuesday’s practice while undergoing cancer treatment

Posted by Charean Williams on September 8, 2020, 3:19 PM EDT

Getty Images

It’s a common refrain in the NFL: Next man up. It applies to coaches, too.

Bruce Arians did that in 2012 when then-Colts head coach Chuck Pagano underwent treatment for leukemia.

Washington coach Ron Rivera missed Tuesday’s practice while undergoing treatment for squamous cell carcinoma. Defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio, who twice has served as a head coach in the NFL, served as head coach in Rivera’s stead.

“Coach says ‘I’m gonna be out,’ it means he needs me to step in. I’m like, ‘I’ve got you, coach,'” Del Rio said after Tuesday’s practice, via JP Finlay of NBCSportsWashington.com. “I’m just going to carry on his message. We’re going to stay on point with what we’re doing. I pay attention to what he’s saying to the staff and what he’s saying to the team and I echo those things. Talking with the team, he’s asked everybody to step up: assistants step up, players step up. Everybody has got to step up and do their part.”

The team expects Rivera to return Wednesday, but he likely misses more practices during the season. Del Rio will serve as the interim coach in Rivera’s absences, though Rivera is not expected to miss a game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Futureshock View Post
                Eagles were thrilled when Lions waived Jason Huntley

They could have let Aboushi go (it's not like anyone is awaiting him being cut) and held onto Huntley. WTF do I know? They probably know best <sarc>
                No biggie
                WHO CARES why it says paper jam when there is no paper jam?

Comment

• They tink they caught lightning in a bottle there. They're almost beside themselves. We will see.

Comment

• Praying for everyone in California. I think G is SW from all this but I hope he and his family are ok.

Comment

• Report: Packers signing defensive tackle Daylon Mack

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on September 10, 2020, 12:11 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Green Bay Packers are set to sign defensive tackle Daylon Mack after hosting the former Baltimore Ravens fifth-round pick for a workout earlier this week, according to Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com.

Mack appeared in just one game last season for the Ravens and was waived by the team in August. He was claimed off waivers by the Detroit Lions and spent less than a week with the team before being waived again. He landed with the New York Giants for the last couple of weeks of training camp before being let go as a part of the team’s roster cuts.

Mack and center Justin Britt were both brought in for workouts by the Packers earlier this week. Green Bay had been carrying a vacancy on their active roster and Mack will round out the group ahead of their season opener this weekend against the Minnesota Vikings.

Comment

• Football is back!
                        Feels like a mini-Christmas because it didn't seem likely this would happen a few months ago... I will guess tonight's game will be one of the most watched regular season games ever.

Schefter said it well:
                        AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• Ex-Jets WR Josh Bellamy arrested, charged for alleged role in $24 million COVID-relief fraud scheme
                          ​​
                          https://sports.yahoo.com/ex-jets-wr-...203040968.html
                          "Your division isn't going through Green Bay it's going through Detroit for the next five years" - Rex Ryan

Comment

• Bill O’Brien: Texans Have A Lot To Fix

No crap. They can start by canning the GM. Oh, wait.... Maybe shoot the Coach out of a cannon. Oh....

Comment

• Courtland Sutton sprained AC joint in practice fall

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 11, 2020, 6:05 AM EDT

Getty Images

The Broncos have had plenty of bad injury luck already, and now face the prospect of being without their top receiver for the opener.

According to Mike Klis of KUSA, Broncos wideout Courtland Sutton suffered a sprained AC joint in his right shoulder during a fall in practice yesterday.

He was reaching to make a one-handed catch with his left when he landed awkwardly on his right arm, and stayed down for a few moments clutching his shoulder before he was taken to the locker room by the athletic training staff.

The Broncos will apparently describe him as “day-to-day” though his status for Monday’s opener against the Titans is very much in question.

The third-year wideout is their leading receiver, and a key to the offense they’re building around quarterback Drew Lock. Rookie receivers Jerry Jeudy and KJ Hamler will have to take a larger role if he’s out, though Hamler missed most of camp with a hamstring issue.

All of this is happening as they’ve lost one of their top defensive players. Linebacker Von Miller suffered a dislocated ankle tendon in practice earlier this week, and he’s having surgery today to repair the damage. While they’re not ruling him out for the whole year yet, he’s expected to miss at least three months.

Comment

• Rick Spielman optimistic Danielle Hunter can return after three weeks

Posted by Josh Alper on September 10, 2020, 3:36 PM EDT

Getty Images

When defensive end Danielle Hunter was missing practices in August, head coach Mike Zimmer said he was dealing with a “tweak” to a still undisclosed body part and that descriptions seems like a bit of an undersell now that Hunter is on injured reserve.

Hunter’s stay on that list may not be an extended one, however. A change to the rules for injured reserve this season allows teams to bring an unlimited number of players back after they spend three weeks on the list and General Manager Rick Spielman said on SiriusXM NFL Radio that the team thinks Hunter can get back sooner rather than later.

“I think we’re very optimistic — and we’ll see how it plays out — that Danielle hopefully will be able to be back after the three weeks. But we’ll reassess where we’re at with the injury and make a decision from there,” Spielman said.

The Vikings play the Texans in their fourth game of the season and Hunter would be a welcome addition to the effort to keep quarterback Deshaun Watson under wraps.

Comment

Working...
                                X