No announcement yet.

Fire Dan Campbell!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I always though people went overboard attacking Dan over the kneecaps thing. I listened to him and thought “the guy just wants his team to be tough. So what?”
    3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
    10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

• It's because you obviously start at the elbow. Going for a knee cap day one is akin to going for it on 4th down from your own 30. It just isn't done.
      Where are we going; and what's up with this hand basket?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sanders Fan View Post
        I always though people went overboard attacking Dan over the kneecaps thing. I listened to him and thought “the guy just wants his team to be tough. So what?”
        It was always a lazy, boring take, talking about the kneecap thing. It's still brought up.

This thread is an embarrassment, but par too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue Lagoon58 View Post

It was always a lazy, boring take, talking about the kneecap thing. It's still brought up.

This thread is an embarrassment, but par too.
          Good to see new faces around here! Welcome.
          3,062 carries, 15,269 yards, 5.0 yards/carry, 99 TD
          10x Pro Bowl, 6x All-Pro, 1997 MVP, 2004 NFL HoF

Comment

• Originally posted by Sanders Fan View Post
            I always though people went overboard attacking Dan over the kneecaps thing. I listened to him and thought “the guy just wants his team to be tough. So what?”
            As someone who was at the front of the "meathead" group, the entire circumstances around his hiring had so many points of failure that hearing that oversold emotional presser threw up so many red flags to me. I rolled my eyes and thought, "Yep. The classic Lions overcorrection at play; appealing to a 'player friendly' coach over all else after Patricia alienated everyone. Gonna be so great watching this guy make boneheaded emotional choices that lose games!"

Then he started surrounding himself with a quality, veteran staff, he showed a much more thoughtful and analytical side, and Holmes showing his aptitude won me over. Then they started winning, and Campbell demonstrated he could actually learn from his mistakes (which is a far less common trait than you might think in NFL coaches). Now, I'm definitely sold.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post

As someone who was at the front of the "meathead" group, the entire circumstances around his hiring had so many points of failure that hearing that oversold emotional presser threw up so many red flags to me. I rolled my eyes and thought, "Yep. The classic Lions overcorrection at play; appealing to a 'player friendly' coach over all else after Patricia alienated everyone. Gonna be so great watching this guy make boneheaded emotional choices that lose games!"

Then he started surrounding himself with a quality, veteran staff, he showed a much more thoughtful and analytical side, and Holmes showing his aptitude won me over. Then they started winning, and Campbell demonstrated he could actually learn from his mistakes (which is a far less common trait than you might think in NFL coaches). Now, I'm definitely sold.
              No you're not. Not until they win a playoff game I have heard.
              Lions Fans.

Demanding Excellence since Pathetic Patricia Piddled the Pooch!

Comment

• Originally posted by dpatnod View Post

No you're not. Not until they win a playoff game I have heard.
                I said many years ago, that "Same Ol' Lions" won't be dead until they've won a playoff game. My belief is that we're going to see that sooner rather than later with this group. But until it happens, I'm not holding the wake. "Same Ol' Lions" have been a tricky thing to kill.

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
                  But until it happens, I'm not holding the wake. "
                  But you're definitely sold?
                  Lions Fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by dpatnod View Post

But you're definitely sold?
                    I'm sold on Campbell as a coach now. I think Holmes is one of the best GMs in the league right now.

The grave is dug. SOL is in hospice care. But the funeral can't be until January. They need to win a playoff game. Just because I think they will, doesn't mean they will. My belief matters less than fuck all. The certificate of death of the Same Ol' Lions requires results.

I don't know why you think you're "catching me" in something, but you're not. Stop trying.

Comment

• So you totally believe in BH and MCDC. But you're not sold that it will matter, not sold that they are not good enough that it will make a difference? Not trying to argue, or catch you in something. It just doesn't sound like you're sold on them. Which is fair.

It seems like holding two different opposing thoughts in your head. How can you be sold on him before thinking he is not SOL? Isn't that the bar where one should buy in? I don't want a 'good coach, but a shitty team'. I've lived that before. A good quarterback but a shitty team. A good team but a shitty QB. A good offense, but a terrible defense. Etc. No excuses. I believe these guys have built a good team. I am sold on them because they are not SOL. I couldn't say I was sold on them if I thought 'but SOL is still SOL'.
                      Lions Fans.

Comment

• Seasons are long things. They're 4-1 now. Past Lions teams have started hot. Then injuries start piling up, people get put in bad positions, 6-2 becomes 8-8, and the Lions are on the outside looking in. That's also "Same Ol' Lions."

Froot actually put it pretty well when he said that we as fans were so beaten down by how absolute shit the Lions have been the last 20 years that we forgot what "Same Ol' Lions" originally was; hovering around .500, spinning their wheels, and when they did occasionally creep into the playoffs, being one-and-done.

I haven't forgotten that, and my standards have not dropped as a result. They need to win a playoff game. You're not catching me with "conflicting thoughts." You just realized I haven't changed my standards when mostly everyone else has. I can believe these guys have the right idea all I want. It doesn't matter until they win a playoff game. That's the bare minimum.

Stop trying to "catch me." You haven't, and you won't. Shut it down.
                        Last edited by chemiclord; October 13, 2023, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• I know. I lived through all those seasons, too. "He's a good coach, but..... shit happens." Well, then fuck him. I want a coach who can overcome the bullshit. I am sold because I believe he will.

I'm not trying to catch you. Happy Friday, man.
                          Last edited by dpatnod; October 13, 2023, 10:28 PM.
                          Lions Fans.

Comment

• I put it in my head that they are going to have a rough patch at sometime. I have that in my mind because Campbell and Goff repeat that often. However they also say that their built to overcome it.
                            So that’s what I hold them to. In the end overcome the rough patches.
                            Because of injuries and road games the next 2 games may be a rough patch. I’m not going to lose it if it happens. Beat the Raiders, get healthy and roll on.

Comment

• I'm 100% with chemi on his SOL take because it has always been my SOL take also.

Fatty Matty Patty just sucked the life out of me. 2020, I watched only the first game where we blew yet another big lead and maybe Thanksgiving. Maybe highlights of games. It was the first and only year that I by choice didn't watch Lions football and the first year since 2003 that I missed even a single game. I was ready to stop watching football until the Lions advanced in the playoffs because that was the SOL goalposts and I don't want to move them.

However, MCDC's kneecap comments, along with feeling betrayed by Stafford, marked a new era and like the Al Pacino meme I was dragged back in. It was immediately obvious that the men played for MCDC and despite his early boneheaded game management it was refreshing to see the team respond positively to a coach.

Now the Lions are truly rebuilt, or, from my perspective, simply built, because I've only been a fan since '95. It's quite sad that after Brady won his last Super Bowl, the leftovers of his career included a playoff win and a (weak) division title. If we cannot achieve even the scraps of what Tom Brady has done and what every other team has done at least once, the SOL is not dead. I agree SOL is on life support. This team is an OT coin toss away from 5-0. The game we did lose is the least meaningful NFC game we will play because Seattle is one of our two non-common opponents with the division and they (Seattle) are very unlikely to win their division and thus aside from being an NFC game it has no other tiebreaker value. @DAL is equal to vsSEA and the only less valuable game will be @BAL as that is AFC and non-common to our division. We've all seen enough collapses to not be celebrating anything right now and so I'm valuing AFC West victories over non-common NFC wins right now because we can't be careful enough. We need to win the division before we can even think about anything else.
                              Last edited by Iron Lion; October 14, 2023, 10:42 AM.
                              "Yeah, we just... we don't want them to go. So that's our motivation."
                              Dan Campbell at Green Bay, January 8, 2023.​

Comment

• How were we betrayed by Stafford?

He had every right to go and not go through another rebuild. We got a good haul out of it and we have a hell of a roster built for long term success.

Staff got his chip, we got juice for the rebuild. Win win.

Comment

Working...
                                X