Red Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need you UM locals to give me some updates on the ANA DUCKS new Goalie:

Using an extra second-round pick they acquired, the Ducks grabbed the highest-ranked goalie on Saturday by taking John Gibson of the U.S. National Team Development Program with the 39th overall selection.

The pick was gained when Murray made another deal with his former Ducks boss, Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke, as he traded down from the 22nd pick of the first round to the 30th and final selection.

Burke gave Murray the 39th pick in order to move up and take rugged winger Tyler Biggs, a teammate of Gibson's. But the U.S. under-18 team netminder was the one the Ducks' scouting staff had its eye on after making Swedish winger Rickard Rakell their first pick.

Martin Madden, the Ducks' amateur director of scouting, acknowledged an aspect of the trade was done in order to draft Gibson, saying "it was certainly part of it."

"We don't look at positions that closely," Madden said by phone from St. Paul, Minn. "But in this instance, you do have to take into consideration at some point, especially with goaltending.

"Having said that, he was amongst the group of four or five [players] that we had rated at a similar level as far as pro potential and impact on an NHL team is concerned."

Gibson doesn't turn 18 until July 14 but he has started putting together a nice resume.

Playing a schedule against teams in the United States Hockey League and the NCAA, Gibson went 24-11-3 with a 2.55 goals-against average and a .921 save percentage.

But it was in the World Under-18 Championship where he really shined as he went 6-0 with a 2.34 goals-against average and a .926 save percentage to lead the Americans to a third consecutive gold medal.

"Obviously with the personal success and the team success, it's been a great year all around," he said.

At 6-foot-3 and 205 pounds, Gibson fills the net and has been described as a goalie with a sound, technical game and is very calm in the crease. He will attend Michigan in the fall.

"John has a chance to be a big-time goalie," Michigan coach Red Berenson said.
    19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• Originally posted by chemiclord View Post
      Jurco right now really only has his stick work ready for the NHL. Granted, that stick work is incredibly awesome... but as far as the rest of his game, he needs a lot of work. He's not a poor skater, but his shot is really unreliable and his passing is spotty. His defense is decent enough, I suppose... but he's still a fairly unpolished prospect. It's going to be a few years before he breaks into the NHL.

What should help him a lot is that the Wings are under no pressure to rush him into the Wings' locker room until he's ready. That's really what's been the biggest factor for the Wings' development of players. They don't have to thrust their draft picks onto the top roster... they can take their time until they are ready to be brought up to the highest level.
      That comes from having a solid training league program.

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
      I need you UM locals to give me some updates on the ANA DUCKS new Goalie:

Using an extra second-round pick they acquired, the Ducks grabbed the highest-ranked goalie on Saturday by taking John Gibson of the U.S. National Team Development Program with the 39th overall selection.

The pick was gained when Murray made another deal with his former Ducks boss, Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke, as he traded down from the 22nd pick of the first round to the 30th and final selection.

Burke gave Murray the 39th pick in order to move up and take rugged winger Tyler Biggs, a teammate of Gibson's. But the U.S. under-18 team netminder was the one the Ducks' scouting staff had its eye on after making Swedish winger Rickard Rakell their first pick.

Martin Madden, the Ducks' amateur director of scouting, acknowledged an aspect of the trade was done in order to draft Gibson, saying "it was certainly part of it."

"We don't look at positions that closely," Madden said by phone from St. Paul, Minn. "But in this instance, you do have to take into consideration at some point, especially with goaltending.

"Having said that, he was amongst the group of four or five [players] that we had rated at a similar level as far as pro potential and impact on an NHL team is concerned."

Gibson doesn't turn 18 until July 14 but he has started putting together a nice resume.

Playing a schedule against teams in the United States Hockey League and the NCAA, Gibson went 24-11-3 with a 2.55 goals-against average and a .921 save percentage.

But it was in the World Under-18 Championship where he really shined as he went 6-0 with a 2.34 goals-against average and a .926 save percentage to lead the Americans to a third consecutive gold medal.

"Obviously with the personal success and the team success, it's been a great year all around," he said.

At 6-foot-3 and 205 pounds, Gibson fills the net and has been described as a goalie with a sound, technical game and is very calm in the crease. He will attend Michigan in the fall.

"John has a chance to be a big-time goalie," Michigan coach Red Berenson said.
      Will do. Playing for Berenson he will get a great opportunity to stand out. Shawn Hunwick is a red shirt Senior and will have dibs on playing time so Gibson will have to outplay him but, they did give him #1 so they must be expecting him to contribute quickly. There is a sophomore above him also but, I didn't see much of him last year at all.

Edit: BTW, The U 19 National team skates out of the Cube which is a couple of miles from Yost Arena and very easy for Michigan coaching staff to keep a close eye on the gems of the system.
      Last edited by Malto Marko; June 28, 2011, 11:08 PM.
      I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malto Marko View Post
        Will do. Playing for Berenson he will get a great opportunity to stand out. Shawn Hunwick is a red shirt Senior and will have dibs on playing time so Gibson will have to outplay him but, they did give him #1 so they must be expecting him to contribute quickly. There is a sophomore above him also but, I didn't see much of him last year at all.
        Thank you sir.

Even though I will be watching from afar, I look forward to any sort of local details on the kids growth and depth chart climb.

pands

Red shirt Senior? Never heard of that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by lions&tigers&wings...yea View Post
          Yea, I could see us getting Erhoff though for under 5 mil...I don't they can fit him in Vancouver and he wants to win, so his best bet is Detroit.

Edit: I meant around 5 mil...under 5 mil would be a hell of a discount
          I don't know much of Erhoff's game. Can he QB a PP?
          F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
            Thank you sir.

Even though I will be watching from afar, I look forward to any sort of local details on the kids growth and depth chart climb.

pands

Pretty sure it's just another way of saying 5th year senior.
            AAL-Sam LaPorta

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
              I don't know much of Erhoff's game. Can he QB a PP?
              Yea but I see Babs letting Lidstrom and Kronwall run the two PPs, respectively.

And the Islanders traded for the rights to Erhoff, which I don't think he'll sign there (in his prime and wants to win now) so we could still get him on Friday but I have a feeling some pretender will throw a lot of money at him and Kenny will just do the smart thing trade for a good young d-man with a reasonable contract instead of over-paying for Erhoff
              2013 2014 AAL: Glover Quin #27

Comment

Thank you sir.

pands

Originally posted by Topweasel View Post
                Pretty sure it's just another way of saying 5th year senior.
                Yup. He was redshirted his freshman year.

Comment

• Cam Barker was put on waivers. He seems like a reclamation project the Wings could have success with and wouldn't have to use too much cap space. If we can't sign a top not first or second liner, I'd rather save some cap space for the trade deadline.

Comment

• Originally posted by FCRhodes View Post
                    Cam Barker was put on waivers. He seems like a reclamation project the Wings could have success with and wouldn't have to use too much cap space. If we can't sign a top not first or second liner, I'd rather save some cap space for the trade deadline.
                    It worked well with Cleary. I'm in!
                    F#*K OHIO!!!

You're not only an amazingly beautiful man, but you're the greatest football mind to ever exist. <-- Jeffy Shittypants actually posted this. I knew he was in love with me.

Comment

• and it looks like Jagr is going to the Pens. I hate that team.
                      F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jaadam4 View Post
                        and it looks like Jagr is going to the Pens. I hate that team.
                        If they can find him...

Agent unsure of Jagr location; teams await word
                        "This is an empty signature. Because apparently carrying a quote from anyone in this space means you are obsessed with that person. "

Comment

I need you UM locals to give me some updates on the ANA DUCKS new Goalie:
                          BTW, Your beloved LAL also took a Michigan product in Darius Morris. You are going to like him. Stand up guy, lots of talent.

Too bad the NBA is not like the NHL and the draftees can stay in school to polish their skills and finish their education. If he would have stayed, Michigan would have made another quantum leap in improvement this year.

Comment

BTW, Your beloved LAL also took a Michigan product in Darius Morris. You are going to like him. Stand up guy, lots of talent.

Too bad the NBA is not like the NHL and the draftees can stay in school to polish their skills and finish their education. If he would have stayed, Michigan would have made another quantum leap in improvement this year.
                            Yep

Forgot to ask about feedback on him as well.

Comment

Yup. He was redshirted his freshman year.
                              Ah, 5th year Senior (which implies medical/red-shirt situation)

Whereas a 6th year Senior carries mostly medical implications

Comment

• Originally posted by mason reese View Post
                                lol.. oh wow
                                F#*K OHIO!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X