No announcement yet.

U of M thread (in the Lions Forum) :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And maybe, just maybe, teams would stop scheduling Florida International or Divine Sisters of the Poor and start scheduling real opponents every week if one loss early in the season didn't cripple their National Title aspirations. Maybe more teams would be willing to take a chance and schedule Boise State more if it didn't potentially cost them dearly to play a tough mid-major team. Then we could really see how these teams stack up on a week to week basis.

Yeah, in a playoff system, there's a chance we could get better regular season matchups every week.

Comment

• Right 8 team playoff, lots of people will agree with you about this, not me. Everybody who thinks they should have got in will bitch. It will be like college basketball (and every other sport now) expanding more and more teams to get in. Don't tell me you think that would not happen.

Then there is the Bowls, (?) They would only be watched if you bet on them or went to the school, if you think they should still be played? I said this last year to you and I will say it again - this is my last post about this, sry I brought it up but MSU might go far in the tournament while everyone has wrote them off and even more (calling them quitters ect) during the REGULAR season as shown means almost nothing.
      Last edited by WingsFan; March 12, 2011, 03:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WingsFan View Post
        Right 8 team playoff, lots of people will agree with you about this, not me. Everybody who thinks they should have got in will bitch. It will be like college basketball (and every other sport now) expanding more and more. Then there is the Bowls I said this last year too you and I will say it again - this is my last post about this, sry I brought it up but MSU might go far in the tournament while everyone has wrote them off and even more (calling them quitters ect) during the REGULAR season as shown mean almost nothing.
        Because teams don't bitch now. Uh huh. Pull the other one.

It'll be like College Basketball? GOOD! That's how it should be! Decide the champion on the field of play rather than a computer!

Okay, I shouldn't say that; because yeah, the March Madness tournament is awfully bloated and it's getting ridiculous. But I do believe there is a happy medium to be found here. I honestly don't see any playoff format extending beyond 16 teams at the absolute most. The season would start getting to a length on par with the NFL in such a scenario, and there's no way any college would sign off on that. Your fear of it billowing out of control is frankly unfounded, as far as I'm concerned.

And if MSU goes far in the tournament, it'll be because they played well and beat the best teams in the nation to do it. You don't get to the Elite Eight by walking over Ohio University and St. Mary's every week... unlike college football where that is a good quarter of an "elite" team's schedule.
        Last edited by chemiclord; March 12, 2011, 03:27 AM.

Comment

• What was Michigan's record in the Big Ten this year? I believe around .500 right. Damn, you really think that should be a playoff team = the college basketball tournament team?

Comment

What was Michigan's record in the Big Ten this year? I believe around .500 right. Damn, you really think that should be a playoff team = the college basketball tournament team?
            A 6-6 Michigan team wouldn't be in a football playoff. Try again, strawman.

Let me help you out here: In an 8-team format (using the BCS standards):

1 Auburn 13-0
            2 Oregon 12-0
            3 TCU 12-0
            4 Stanford 11-1
            5 Wisconsin 11-1
            6 Ohio State 11-1
            7 Oklahoma 11-2
            8 Arkansas 10-2

I'm having a real hard time finding the .500 conference teams you worry about. Care to help me out here?

Hell, let's go to 16:

9 Michigan State 11-1
            10 Boise State 11-1
            11 LSU 10-2
            12 Missouri 10-2
            13 Virginia Tech 11-2
            14 Oklahoma State 10-2
            15 Nevada 12-1
            16 Alabama 9-3

Hunh. Still not happening. I dunno, looks like the regular season would still be pretty damn important.
            Last edited by chemiclord; March 12, 2011, 03:24 AM.

Comment

• Im sure you and most everyone has no problem with a team losing 6 times in the NFL regular season, but are the best and NFL Super Bowl Champions. That's the type of champion you want in college football? People have it in their head about closure and can't see no system is perfect.

Comment

Im sure you and most everyone has no problem with a team losing 6 times in the NFL regular season, but are the best and NFL Champions. That's the type of champion you want in college football? People have it in their head about closure and can't see no system is perfect.
                A team that lost six games in college football would never have the chance. Jesus Christ, you've constructed that strawman three times in the last three posts.

The reason that you have teams with .500 conference records in the college tourney is because they have damn near 70 teams playing now.

There is no way in hell a college football playoff would ever get that large. They would have to cut regular season games in damn near half, and there is no college in the country that would agree to that.

You are completely off base with this fear of a .500 team winning the national title. It would never happen. Ever.

Comment

• You are completely off base with this fear of a .500 team winning the national title. It would never happen. Ever.
                  I don't believe that in college football, maybe in 25 years if most people like you have there way. You disregarded the fact that a team loses 6 times in the NFL and still is the champion? That's what you want? College football is a different beast than any other sport, that's why it is the best. ( NHL playoffs)

Note; The NHL is a great sport, but like all pro sports, the regular season means almost nothing.
                  Last edited by WingsFan; March 12, 2011, 03:52 AM.

Comment

• Apples and Oranges.

College Football is great. It's just that that one level of college football won't adopt the 16 team tournament that works so well in all the other levels of college football that's stupid.

Comment

I don't believe that in college football, maybe in 25 years if most people like you have there way. You disregarded the fact that a team loses 6 times in the NFL and still is the champion? That's what you want? College football is a different beast than any other sport, that's why it is the best. ( NHL playoffs)

Note; The NHL is a great sport, but like all pro sports, the regular season means almost nothing.
                      1) It's a 16 game schedule in the NFL, not 12. A 6 loss season is a .625 winning percentage.
                      2) In the NFL, 12 of 32 teams make the playoffs, 37.5%. There are about 115 major college football teams. In an eight team playoff, that's about 7%.
                      3) It's FOOTBALL, goddamn it, not basketball. You play lots of games in basketball and can have lots of playoff games because they're not fucking running into each other for 60 minutes trying to break each other's bones.
                      4) For that reason, there's nothing wrong with a lot of, or for that matter, every basketball team getting into the playoff. Why the hell not? I think that's what they do in some high school setups. Let 'em play 40 games a year. You can't do that in football; there aren't enough hospital beds out there.
                      I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• "- this is my last post about this, "
                        --------------------------Ya right.

GO LIONS "11" !
                        GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Re: #4, I think that's what they did in Hoosiers and I think that's still the way they do it in H.S. basketball in Indiana.

Comment

• Sure. I got no problem with schoolboys in other sports all getting a chance at the postseason. They're not running full force into each other on every play.
                            I made baseball as fun as doing your taxes!

Comment

• GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!

GO LIONS "11" !
                              GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Jesus Christ, how many bullshit calls are the refs going to give Sullinger today? Guess what refs, he can knock the ball out of bounds, block and charge just like everyone else. You CAN call a foul on him. You really can.

Comment

Working...
                                X