No announcement yet.

Family Book...Forum Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great images DWT, it is wonderful that you get to spend so much time with her.
    AAL:to be determined

2011 NFL Draft Wish List:

1. Patrick Peterson Cornerback LSU
    2. Mark Herzlich Outside Linebacker Boston College
    3. John Moffitt Center Wisconsin
    4. Steve Schilling Guard Michigan
    5. Jeremy Kerley Wide Receiver TCU
    6. Carl Johnson Tackle Florida
    7. Johnny Patrick Cornerback Louisville

Comment

• Originally posted by bimmer84 View Post
      Have you skied at Whistler, or in the West at Denver, or Salt Lake City? I am wondering how the Alps compare? I have thought about taking a trip there sometime but I don't want to go unless it it has something over the resorts out West. .
      I've skied Snowbird, Park City and Taos (by far my favorite). The Alps is totally different and more technical, but it is also the wild wild west - there's no ski patrol, the Europeans do not have a clue about the concept of a line and it is very easy to get off the runs - for example, last season I was skiing Austrian Alps (Zell am See), we were on a long run, I turned around to the guy I was skiing with and told him - "hey I don't think we are on the run anymore", he asked why do I think that? Then we were passed by a BMW X5 - "that's why".

Keep in mind, the Alps span several countries - There's the French Alps, the Austrian Alps, the Swiss Alps, the Italian Alps and the the Bavarien Alps in Germany - they are all wildly different. I was hoping to ski the Dolomites (Italian Alps) this year, but the snow sucks - but it is still early. One thing they do have in common, skiing in Europe is all about the party.

Comment

• Originally posted by Islair View Post
        Great images DWT, it is wonderful that you get to spend so much time with her.
        Thanks, I'm loving the time I have with her. As we are exploring Europe - I am doing it through her eyes and it is quite exciting.

Comment

• Originally posted by LionsFanInJapan View Post
          Cool pics, dwt! Sledding is the best.
          Sledding here is incredable, they have runs here that are miles long. And as you can see, they still love the old school wood sleds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marko69 View Post
            Excellent pictures there DWT, brave wee lassie on that horse, and even standing next to the thing. (Quite wary of horses, unpredictable bstds)

Bimmer, they do have something over the resorts out west. MASSIVE Toblerone bars.
            Fk the skiing....., just get a praline latte and a massive Toblerone. Journey instantly worth it.
            You can see a horse in the background, the arena we were in, a jumping class was going on.....Addison wanted to try jumping.

Oh, besides Toblerone, they also have Gl?hwein.

Comment

• Had to google that, DWT. Looks very nice indeed. Few of those before bedtime could be the dogs bawbag for insomniacs.
              "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Originally posted by dwt1 View Post
                I've skied Snowbird, Park City and Taos (by far my favorite). The Alps is totally different and more technical, but it is also the wild wild west - there's no ski patrol, the Europeans do not have a clue about the concept of a line and it is very easy to get off the runs - for example, last season I was skiing Austrian Alps (Zell am See), we were on a long run, I turned around to the guy I was skiing with and told him - "hey I don't think we are on the run anymore", he asked why do I think that? Then we were passed by a BMW X5 - "that's why".

Keep in mind, the Alps span several countries - There's the French Alps, the Austrian Alps, the Swiss Alps, the Italian Alps and the the Bavarien Alps in Germany - they are all wildly different. I was hoping to ski the Dolomites (Italian Alps) this year, but the snow sucks - but it is still early. One thing they do have in common, skiing in Europe is all about the party.
                Interesting info. Can't say that I have ever heard of Taos. It looks like a good black diamond run site, but I am more into the blues, and relaxing on the greens. Passed by an X5? HA!

Comment

Excellent pictures there DWT, brave wee lassie on that horse, and even standing next to the thing. (Quite wary of horses, unpredictable bstds)

Bimmer, they do have something over the resorts out west. MASSIVE Toblerone bars.
                  Fk the skiing....., just get a praline latte and a massive Toblerone. Journey instantly worth it.
                  What is this? Scotland has ski resorts?

Scotland is preparing to participate fully in World Snow Day this weekend for the first time thanks to excellent snow conditions in the country's ski resorts

Comment

• Definitely, Bimmer. Probably boring to the accomplished skier but the Cairngorms offers plenty good skiing. Aviemore ski resort is an excellent place to visit. I can't ski for toffee but all three of my kids are absolutely superb on the skis. My oldest son used to put on the short blade skis and bomb it down the slopes trying to beat all sorts of records. On one slope up in aviemore, my daughter used to love flying down there at warp speed and crashing into the upright crash mat thing. Great memories. They all learned at Hillend Ski Centre in Edinburgh. Great place. (but a fiver for a machiatto, robbing bstds!) The two stepsons tried both skiing and snowboarding and both were pretty shit, so quit.

The brother in law sounds more in yours and DWT's league......, he's in a place 200km south of Calgary at the moment, skiing and boarding.
                    "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Someday BIMMER will experience real skiing when he makes it out to MAMMOTH, CA.

Just don't come this year......CA is so drought racked at this point, even MAMMOTH is miniscule this year.
                      Last edited by Panoptes; January 16, 2014, 02:12 PM.
                      19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

Definitely, Bimmer. Probably boring to the accomplished skier but the Cairngorms offers plenty good skiing. Aviemore ski resort is an excellent place to visit. I can't ski for toffee but all three of my kids are absolutely superb on the skis. My oldest son used to put on the short blade skis and bomb it down the slopes trying to beat all sorts of records. On one slope up in aviemore, my daughter used to love flying down there at warp speed and crashing into the upright crash mat thing. Great memories. They all learned at Hillend Ski Centre in Edinburgh. Great place. (but a fiver for a machiatto, robbing bstds!) The two stepsons tried both skiing and snowboarding and both were pretty shit, so quit.

The brother in law sounds more in yours and DWT's league......, he's in a place 200km south of Calgary at the moment, skiing and boarding.
                        You should have jumped in there when your oldest son learned. That is what I did, and ended up a snowboarder, not a skier. I am not following all that you said. What is an upright crash mat thing? Is that something around, or over a pole or obstruction?

Comment

• Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
                          Someday BIMMER will experience real skiing when he makes it out to MAMMOTH, CA.

Just don't come this year......CA is so drought racked to the point even MAMMOTH is MINISCULE this year.
                          I haven't forgotten your recommendation Panoptes. It is a place I would like to try. SLC is just so easy to get to from here.

Comment

• I'm just yanking your chain. Mammoth is great in most years though. You wouldn't be disappointed. I've had the opportunity to ski SLC, in CO, WYO all over CA and Mammoth can hold its own for its own reasons.

I do want to get up into Canada someday, i.e., Banff, Whistler/Blackcomb, etc.
                            19.1119, NO LONGER WAITING

Comment

• I learnt to Ski in Aviemore, can't remember too much other than getting a whack on the back of the head from a T-bar after standing in its return path after I got off!

Some friends went to Bardonechia in the Italian alps for Christmas, said it was good. I think i'm approaching my longest period of not skiing in my life. I first went at 15 and I'm nearing 15 years since I last skiied :(
                              AAL Quintez Cephus
                              If you fall during your life, it doesn't matter. You're never a failure as long as you try to get up.

Comment

• Precious DWT!
                                I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

Working...
                                X