No announcement yet.

Off Topic: Soccer and NASCAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think K Stat has seen the EPL ratings of late in the US. The FA has treated the last few contracts for US rights as a bonus. As in whatever they get, it's a bonus. That won't be the case for the next negotiations it's going to be big time bidding war. In fact the MLS got a sizable contract.

I used to think the same way about needing the MLS to be on par with the EPL, but that doesn't appear to be the case. The British clubs are establishing a large fanbase in the US. But the MLS is growing, it's problem is going to be shedding the structure that makes all the owners money but prevents the big money players from coming.

Comment

• When all the investigations of FIFA are over, I'd like to see that list of how many scandals/ fraud instances they were involved in.

FIFA paid Ireland $5m to settle Thierry Henry's handball out of court
      John Delaney has confirmed the Football Association of Ireland was paid millions of euros by FIFA to not contest in court Thierry Henry's handball.
      AAL 2023 - Alim McNeill

Comment

• This is hilarious

FIFA scandal: Sepp Blatter was 'former lover of Cristiano Ronaldo's model ex-girlfriend Irina Shayk'
        Respected Spanish daily El Mundo made the sensational claim about the roving-eyed football chief and Cristiano Ronaldo’s stunning ex in a piece published yesterday

Comment

• Ha!
          I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

• The latest

- Irina quickly issued a denial

- there has been a clarification on the FAI "development " fund. The unrefundable loan was actually 5 million pounds. Which is roughly worth 7.5 million dollars today and was probably 8-9 million when it was paid.

- a German paper is claiming that their government sent grenade launchers to Saudi Arabia a month prior to the vote for the 2006 World Cup. This was presumably for their vote.

- An Egyptian soccer official is claiming Trinidad Jack Warner tried to shake the Egyptians down for 7 million for his vote, but they refused.

- Lastly, when Swiss authorities arrested those officials last week, they also executed a search warrant on a company involved in the 2018 and 2022 bids.

This story has legs. The British tabs must be ecstatic.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
              I don't think K Stat has seen the EPL ratings of late in the US. The FA has treated the last few contracts for US rights as a bonus. As in whatever they get, it's a bonus. That won't be the case for the next negotiations it's going to be big time bidding war. In fact the MLS got a sizable contract.

I used to think the same way about needing the MLS to be on par with the EPL, but that doesn't appear to be the case. The British clubs are establishing a large fanbase in the US. But the MLS is growing, it's problem is going to be shedding the structure that makes all the owners money but prevents the big money players from coming.
              People tune into the EPL because you get to see some of the best footballers in the world plying their trade. U.S. doesn't (and won't) have a league where that ever happens. There are too many barriers to ever expect the best players in the world in their prime to come to the U.S. U.S. is left with bringing in has-been, past their prime "names" to try to market a sport that has no real developmental structure. U.S. has kept beating that dead horse for nearly 5 decades, since they brought the retired Pele out of retirement in the mid 70's.

Since the mid 70's, they keep saying the same thing. That these stars have "significantly" increased awareness of Soccer in the U.S. It's an old tune, and these guys know the MLS is where you come to get your last big payday even when you've long since left your prime.

Comment

• Another missed point by Blue Skies.

They have a better foundation now Eyore. My point is they have to get to the point where they aren't bringing in players one step from the retirement home. Currently the structure makes it pretty much impossible because the MLS owners have created a system where every owner profits.

Comment

• Quickly read a newspaper article in a Chinese takeaway whilst waiting it......, Putin talking about the USA meddling and investigating corruption is all about unsettling Russia etc etc...... The article even mentioned nuclear war!

It's official......., soccer is so fking important, it's going to destroy the planet!

Hopefully Hibs win the Scottish Cup before 2018.
                  "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Joe Walsh - Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 22nd June 2022

Comment

• Double post...... What he ^ said.
                    Last edited by Marko69; June 10, 2015, 02:17 AM. Reason: Shaky hands double post
                    "I'm having much more fun in my 70s in the 20s than I did in my 20s in the 70s.”

Comment

• American Soccer proves it's dominance. A come from behind win last week against the Dutch in Amsterdam and today they beat the World Champs in Germany in come from behind fashion. In both games the winner was scored by Bobby Wood. U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A!

Comment

• Couple of decent victories there. Checked out the team line-ups......., quite strong Dutch and German teams there.

I would say though, if Arjen Robben had have been playing, definitely wouldn't have been 4-3. He'd have banged a hat-trick in by half time.

Comment

• "The FIFA president, secretary general and communications director are in a car. Who's driving? Answer: The police."

Fifa communications chief Walter de Gregorio sacked after TV joke

Sense of humour: Walter de Gregorio

FIFA's communications director Walter de Gregorio has been fired days after making a joke on Swiss television about the world governing body.

De Gregorio had been FIFA's most visible public face since the wave of corruption and bribery allegations brought the organisation to its knees.
                          A FIFA statement said Gregorio has decided to "relinquish his office with immediate effect" but it is understood he has been fired on outgoing president Sepp Blatter's orders.
                          It follows De Gregorio making a joke on Swiss TV presenter Roger Schawinski's show earlier this week.
                          The joke was: "The FIFA president, secretary general and communications director are in a car. Who's driving? Answer: The police."
                          The joke made headlines in the Swiss media but FIFA's leaders were not amused. Blatter's public relations advisor also criticised De Gregorio in an article, and after the communications director confronted the FIFA president he was shown the door.
                          A statement from FIFA said: "Walter De Gregorio has decided to relinquish his office with immediate effect as director of communications & public affairs.
                          "Mr De Gregorio joined FIFA on September 14, 2011 and will serve FIFA on a consultancy basis until the end of this year.

AAL Quintez Cephus
                          If you fall during your life, it doesn't matter. You're never a failure as long as you try to get up.

Comment

• lol
                            2015 AAL - Ezekiel "Double Digit Sacks" Ansah.

Comment

• GO LIONS "23" !!

Comment

• Some people have no sense of humor!
                                I long for a Lions team that is consistently competitive.

Comment

Working...
                                X