Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MICHIGAN MEN'S BASKETBALL- '23 -'24 Season.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Or in the case of the last two seasons, not even be very good? I don't get it either.

Comment

• Guys I'm thinking of:

Darius Morris
      TH Jr
      DJ Wilson
      Iggy
      Jordan Poole
      Jett Howard
      Houstan
      Diabate
      Jett Howard

Are there others?

It's not that these guys were bad by any stretch, but they were merely good players. The sport is loaded with good players. And in Houstan's case, I'd argue that good might be stretching it. in Jett Howard's case, there is evidence that he was a net drag on the team.

So how is it that our merely good players keep showing up in the 1.1% of college basketball players who get drafted? When it comes to number of players drafted lately, we're about even with Gonzaga. But Gonzaga hasn't even been lower than a 4 seed in the tourney since 2017.
      Last edited by Hannibal; March 24, 2023, 09:09 AM.

Comment

• Its especially interesting when you read that Jett was actually well enough to play, but sat out due to his NBA intentions.

Maybe his Dad should have encouraged him to attend school elsewhere.
        "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Jett gives up more points than he scores, he's a lot of room to improve defensively.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
            Jett gives up more points than he scores, he's a lot of room to improve defensively.
            Yep which is why I thought he would come back for another year
            2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• 1. You don't really improve your draft stock by staying in school. Guys like Keegan Murray are anomalies nowadays. He was graded down because of his age.
              2. There are very few recruits that can make a difference in a NCAA tourney run as a freshman. You have to have the tippy top players like the guys that Duke would roll out there and they would have 2 or 3 of them. Teams like Gonzaga produce pro players but they also have the 4 year players that provide the framework, that's the sweet spot.
              3. For most of these players with pro protential any years past their freshman year is a waste of development time. Even if you are sitting the bench on the NBA team or toiling in the G league, there's more development there. Jordan Poole toiled for 5 years in the G League.
              4. The NBA is much different now then it was was 20 years. There is an abundance of talented. There are 450 players in the league and another 200 players that could play.

Comment

• NBA is overdue for expansion, room for about 4 teams.

Comment

• Jordan Poole has played a grand total of 14 games in the G-League. 3 in 19-20 and 11 in 20-21.

Comment

• The NBA drafts on potential and not on production. It's been that way for a long time. It really is time to get past the notion that having warts and weaknesses means you stay another year.

I think the real issue at this point is going after the wrong players. Michigan shouldn't be a platform for young and talented kids to play through their mistakes for a year. The game has changed since Juwan was hired. It's now just as much about finding mature players who can come in and help you win now as it is finding young talents, or finding guys you bring along for 2 years before they are ready to contribute. This offseason is going be really interesting. Very eager to see Juwan adjust to those new realities.

Comment

• Originally posted by WM Wolverine View Post
                      NBA is overdue for expansion, room for about 4 teams.
                      Yep, we know they are at least going to expand by 2. LeBron/FSG getting a Las Vegas franchise is an open secret. Seattle getting the second team is the other thought.

Comment

• I agree with Hack.

Belien was criticized for not being able to recruit, and we hired a coach who was a better recruiter. Now, it appears that recruiting in the Belien mold might be preferable. Huston and Diabante were a real lesson.

Still, the portal and NIL are becoming almost as important as recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by hack View Post
                          The NBA drafts on potential and not on production. It's been that way for a long time. It really is time to get past the notion that having warts and weaknesses means you stay another year.

I think the real issue at this point is going after the wrong players. Michigan shouldn't be a platform for young and talented kids to play through their mistakes for a year. The game has changed since Juwan was hired. It's now just as much about finding mature players who can come in and help you win now as it is finding young talents, or finding guys you bring along for 2 years before they are ready to contribute. This offseason is going be really interesting. Very eager to see Juwan adjust to those new realities.
                          This is true but it probably doesn't apply to Jett Howard, you are still going to get a guy like him. It's a tougher proposition to use the portal like it's done in football. You don't have the huge number of scholarships to play with. The coaches have to find a happy medium in this era, but I hat seems easier said than done,

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                            Jordan Poole has played a grand total of 14 games in the G-League. 3 in 19-20 and 11 in 20-21.
                            Good catch Mike, I got my Warriors underdog stories mixed up. GP II toiled in the G League for 6 years before becoming a vital part of the Warriors last season. People took advantage of the COVID break to work on his game.

Comment

• Hunter Dickinson has entered the transfer portal.
                              2012 Detroit Lions Draft: 1) Cordy Glenn G , 2) Brandon Taylor S, 3) Sean Spence olb, 4) Joe Adams WR/KR, 5) Matt McCants OT, 7a) B.J. Coleman QB 7b) Kewshan Martin WR

Comment

• Originally posted by Whitley View Post
                                Hunter Dickinson has entered the transfer portal.
                                Now that's a surprise.

Comment

Working...
                                X