No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Manziel has provably broken any current NCAA regulations he should answer but frankly good luck. The NCAA is now paper thin, down to just two investigators, this could take months.

Jack Bechta of the National Football Post raise several interesting points, clearly compensation is coming for CFB athletes, how much and in what forms, TBD.

August 7th
    Hypocrisy: The College Football Scholarship

While Johnny Manziel is being currently being investigated by the NCAA for potentially selling autographs, I want to ask if you’ve ever noticed that we never hear of college baseball players getting suspended for violating NCAA rules? College baseball players cozy up to agents in high school and ride the fence between being a pro and being an amateur. Why, because they have an option of going pro before college. Thus, the NCAA gives them different treatment than they do football players. College football brings in over $10 billion dollars alone in TV revenue. Baseball commands a small fraction of that amount.

Under NCAA rules, college football players are prohibited from profiting in any way. They can’t go pro out of high school and cannot negotiate the terms of their scholarship. They are limited to the kind of outside work they can do, how much they can make and where they can make it. In reality they don’t have time for a part time job.

College football players rarely experience spring break, are expected to be in school for the summer, and give about 32 to 40 hours per week during the season and about half that in the spring and summer. I truly don’t think the public understands what football players give to their respective programs. I also believe it’s worth more than the scholarship they receive in exchange for their services.

As the college football coffers get fatter and the NFL rookie contracts got smaller (under the new CBA for draftees), the economic balance of service versus revenues is out of whack favoring college football. As college coaches, admins, commissioners and NCAA salaries steadily increase, college stipends and benefits for the players stay the same. Yes, there was an increase in the ceiling on monthly living expense stipends, but if you really look at the language and how many schools actually passed it on to the players, it really amounts to window dressing.

If Johnny Manziel did break the rules and did earn $7,500 for signing helmets, then he broke the rules and should be punished. In my opinion not severely, maybe a game or two at the most. However, it’s a small example of the earning power these players have while in college. The powers that be in college football want to reserve that earning power for its own interests. I’m saying that there needs to be a serious adjustment in favor of the players. Here are some practical ideas of how those revenues can be passed on to those who are producing them.

Extended medical benefits: Any NFL GM or team doctor will tell you that by the time the players get to the Combine they are damaged goods. They have experienced multiple concussions, torn labrums, and physical trauma throughout their knees and backs. Unfortunately, as those players start aging and experiencing pain and further breakdowns of their body, they have no recourse. Lifting weights at ages 18 through 22 takes a long-term toll on the body. We still don’t know the long-term effects to the brain from concussions but the studies are showing that long-term damage does exist. College football should be held accountable for their part of the wear and tear on the body of those scholarship athletes. Medical benefits should come in the form of insurance available for those who may not have the coverage they need.

Deferred trust accounts for off field income: The NCAA should allow players to earn up to $50,000 per year in endorsements, appearances and likeness usage. All deals must be pre approved by the schools compliance departments and the monies deposited directly in a trust account that can only be accessed after the player has graduated and exhausted his eligibity. Paid appearances should be limited to five per year. Players should also receive a royalty (about 10 to 17 percent) on all jersey sales, which will also be deposited in the account.

Free graduate degrees: Football players should be offered free graduate degrees from their respective schools. A player should have a seven-year window to start and finish a degree after he graduates. For any football player who has never graduated and played four years for his university, school should be free to finish his degree.

Increased stipends: I actually agree that players should not have too much cash in their pocket, but the current stipends should be increased by a hard $300 to $500 dollars per month, depending on the cost of living in their respective geographical areas. Portions of the stipends could also be given in the form of a voucher for hotel rooms, gas and/or travel expenses for parents when they come to campus for a game. Many parents and families really struggle financially to travel long distances to see their son play. Most players I represent tell me they had to pay for parking while at practice. The funny part is that most of the meters don’t go past two hours. Players are then forced to buy mopeds to avoid parking fees. That’s ridiculous!

As the college football revenues continue to increase, it’s like a dam about to burst. The NCAA and the new super conferences should act before the players and their parents figure out how to come to together and force them to cough up more green. It’s just the right thing to do. If schools can pay coaches and commissioners thick seven figure salaries, the money is there to responsibly pass on to those sacrificing the most and working the hardest to make our Saturdays entertaining. 96% of college football players WON’T go on to make millions in the pros, but they will leave the game physically damaged and underpaid for their time.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...holarship.html
    ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jn5zytfm9No"]Football on your Phone - Manning Brothers Music Video - YouTube[/ame]
      Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ErgSpXd4RPQ"]Ryan Encinas Touchdown: 5-Year-Old Cancer Survivor Scores During Browns Practice - YouTube[/ame]
        Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Wow, Johnny Manziel Inc., coaches and schools making millions off him, he should simply pay his own tuition and keep the "change".

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?s...73&src=desktop
          ?I don?t take vacations. I don?t get sick. I don?t observe major holidays. I?m a jackhammer.?

Comment

• Borderline meltdown at all the Majors right now for Woods, not even in contention at Oak Hill. Woods has played 15 rounds in majors this year and only broken 70 once. Lots of big names on the leaderboard right now, Mickelson is really struggling this weekend too.

Comment

• Jake Wood>>>Tiger Woods

Comment

• Not hardly.

I'll be happy to watch Furyk and Dufner in the final pairing tomorrow. And Stricker not too far off the pace.

Comment

• OK now I have truly seen it all:

So here's an unusual little story: KISS, the multimedia corporate product-spewing behemoth that used to be a rock band, has gone and bought its very own professional football team. In Los Angeles, no less. Sure, it's in the Arena League, but Angelenos can't be choosers these days.
                  All right, let's get all the jokes out of the way at once. Deep breath:
                  The team, set to start play next March in Detroit Rock City Los Angeles, will run a nontraditional offense: not the pistol, not the shotgun, the Love Gun. Players will be encouraged to rock and roll all night and party ev-uh-ree day. Following every touchdown, the team will go for a deuce. They'll keep the visitors' locker room hotter than hell. Team physician? Why, Dr. Love, of course.
                  The team will be dubbed — no, this is not part of the joke — the L.A. KISS. And their helmet designs are going to be amazing (and, no doubt, for sale everywhere at a reasonable price). As incentive, the band will play a private concert for season-ticket holders.
                  "As a fast-paced, high-action band, this partnership with the AFL was an obvious fit for us," Gene Simmons said in a statement. "With Arena Football, you are much closer to the action - sitting in the front row is like putting a folding chair on the hash mark of an NFL game – and it’s one of the only sports where you can experience this level of intensity. Attending an LA KISS game in 2014 will be similar to a live KISS show, with thrilling, heart-pounding action."
                  "The whole idea of an alternative to what has perhaps become a corporate sport is very intriguing, and resonates with us," Paul Stanley added. "We've always tried to be a band that relates to everybody, and the AFL is built on that whole premise."
                  Want in? There's already a website: LA Kiss Football. Get in early! And our pals over at For The Win have already mocked up some uniforms, which are an absolute delight. See 'em here.
                  So, yeah, if we were going to make a list of bands that would purchase a football team, KISS would be at positions one through five. Question for you, then: who's the next musician to buy a pro team? Snoop Lion? Kid Rock? The Bieb? The floor is yours.
                  Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• The starters:

Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• The kicker:

Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• The QB:

Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Wiz .. you can kill me now ...
                          "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• I thought I already did...dammit
                            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Comment

• That is truly disturbing.
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X