No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got it re markets. Believe you. No need for link.

Tillerson always struck me as very capable if inexperienced. We'll see how it plays out, but he's pretty low on my list of things to worry about.

Get rid of Bannon and I'd sleep well. As it is, he's sort of the asshat wildcard.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• I don't know what to tell you about the question of where the US lies on the global spectrum. It's the only developed country without universal health care, and that's a big huge obvious one. It also imposes a lower tax burden than almost every other OECD country (OECD being the closest peer group), and offers less social protections than almost every other country, and gay marriage is legal in most of the OECD universe. The urls don't change with the type of stat, but browse away: http://stats.oecd.org/. South Korea is probably the only country that's arguably a peer on a GDP/capital basis that is consistently in the ballpark. Others pop up at the right end of the spectrum in some categories, but not consistently, or are special cases -- Ireland is one of the only ones to collect less tax, but it's a tax haven.

But, ultimately, much of what defines that in the US just doesn't apply outside the country. From an American perspective, guns and health-care access make it exceptionally far to the right on the spectrum, but that's not how the rest of the world sees it necessarily. Guns are not a right/left issue in the rest of the world, so I don't know how to make that a useful comparison. And gays are some of the biggest fans of Europe's racist parties, because they see them as limiting the scope for Muslim immigrants who might be hostile to gays.

Comment

• Agreed on Tillerson. Areas of disagreement are within reason. Especially if the energy industry decides now is the right time to come in from the cold on a carbon tax.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
          Yes, I know what your point is. Your posts and points are entirely predictable and understandable: Obama/Ds great; DJT/Rs awful. In no uncertain terms. I get it.

I'm not sure how or why you worked in your standard ObaMA GREAT!!!!-DJT Evil!!! stuff into a post on Tucker Carlson, but you managed to do it.
          I'm not sure my posts are any more predictable than your, "I'm nuanced, I'm above it all, GOP is doing it right but I will vote for democrats, oh woe is me" posts.

Comment

• I just realized that the Title IX case going up to the Supreme Court will probably be mooted. That's a shame. Not even the liberal wing of the Court could have backed Obama's preposterous interpretation of the law on that one. They may have found some sort of Constitutional right somewhere to reach the same outcome, but they would have had to shit on Obama's autocratic dumbassery.
            Haven't heard about this. What is that case about?

Comment

• There's an opinion out there that the mid-November rally was based on the expectation of MOAR STIMULUS, essentially vindicating the idea that Obama's stimulus wasn't big enough...
              Good Lord. A tax cut, particularly a cut for entities, is what is moving the market. (at about 20,750 today). The country has gained about $ 3 Trillion in wealth since election day.

Things fell off, because in truth businesses don't care about regulatory burden as long as all their competitors suffer the same burden. But, point being, the stimulus came up and that's a data point. Can't find the story though.
              Utterly untrue, but spoken with the assurance that comes with having never been subject to regulation.

Comment

• I'll moderate that. Wall Street cares. In most other sectors, what one hears time and again is that as long as there's certainty about regulation it's fine. They get that they are measured against their peers. Wall Street, on the other hand, objects to things like putting the interest of clients before their own. You'd think you wouldn't need a regulation for that, but there was one, for a while. Plus, with Wall Street's bonus culture and immediate pay-back periods on so many potential products, and the low physical-capital needs, they can do something in four years. Corporations in the real economy aren't looking to put money in the ground for a four-year horizon, though.

I haven't looked at a sector-by-sector breakdown of the market rally, but I bet financials are beating the broader indices.

I just heard today that tax is going to be the big massive battle, which explains why perhaps they are talking about putting it off until spring. Low-hanging fruit, or whatever they think is that, then Obamacare, then tax. One theory is that Trump views tax reform as his biggest leverage over Ryan and McConnell. Another is that unless they strip it down to the basic broaden the base/lower the rate concept, there are going to be too many winners and losers.
                Last edited by hack; February 22, 2017, 11:05 PM.

Comment

• I think Tillerson will be fine and capable. But I think DOS's influence over shapig policy could be next to nothing. They will be expected to relay messages, attend ceremonial events, and attend funerals. Not much else. As Talent noted, did Tillerson really leave Exxon behind for that?

Comment

• They will blame "Democratic obstructionism" but a key problem for the Administration remains that out of 549 spots remaining in the government appointed by the President, Trump has yet to even nominate anyone for 515 spots. Part of the problem is that Trump wants people loyal to HIM in all these posts, not the Cabinet Secretaries, and so won't let them choose their own subordinates in most cases. And based on other reporting he's having trouble finding qualified volunteers

Comment

• Hack:

This is what I said re US left/right:

Well, depends on the issue, correct? The US remains very much capitalistic at heart with pragmatic restraints. That is largely to the right of most countries (much to the good, IMO). The US, however, is middle-left on numerous social issues including[LIST OF THINGS].
                      ...and

The United States is, IMO, more liberal than numerous countries and more socially progressive than others for reasons stated above.
                      So, I appreciate the economic stuff but we're pretty much in agreement on that. I said as much in my first post and then when I said "more liberal" -- that's lowercase "l" liberal which I was referring to as economic liberty and they socially progressive.

The point of contention, if any, would be over where the US sits on social issues. For example, I think I can rule out any Asian country in this regard. India, South Korea and Japan remain far more male-oriented than the US. Further, gay marriage of any type isn't recognized in any of those countries let alone transgender rights.

In Europe, I can nix the whole of Eastern Europe on social issues. Gay marriage is also not recognized in Australia, though civil unions are for half the country. Germany, Italy and Greece only recognize Civil Unions.

I toyed with the idea of using various "Freedom Indices" -- but the problem with that is that they include "economic freedom" which tends to be more a Lockean liberal concept than a leftist one. And that gets to one of my two initial concerns -- defining "right" (or left) is very difficult (the other was which countries are comparable). I can make the argument that the spectrum is total individual liberty all the way to total state control. I don't think that's what left/right mean in the US (as you noted). So, I assume the best way to do it is look at an issue, figure out where another country is relative to the US on that issue and then figure out whether that direction is "US right or US left" of the US.

Unfortunately, that's not much of a standard for comprehensive studies. So, it has to be piecemeal stuff, IMO, and that doesn't make for persuasive points either way.

So, I think we're in agreement re economics and perhaps disagree re social issues. That perspective, e.g., can change depending on what you consider economic or social -- I consider healthcare an economic issue because it requires cash, lots of cash; if you think it a fundamental basic human right, then I could see it as a social issue -- but I'm really comfortable with my paradigm. Lots of social programs go into the same bucket.

It's an interesting thought exercise and I'm glad I undertook it. Now, STFU.

Comment

• You STFU
                        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• We were talking about you a bit upthread.

All things Gay Nebraska with a Murray Head tribute.
                          "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is sometimes hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Yes, for me too. Interesting. But once again Wiz shows up and illustrates the value of brevity. On a per-word basis his post is much better than yours or mine. Packed with meaning.

Comment

• Alan Colmes passed away

Comment

• Many, many years ago, when I was but a child, I heard the tale of man turned monster turned man again. An incredulous tale of depravity and salvation.

It all was so normal for the man. He had fulfilled his dream, graduated from UAB as a nurse, found a family and then some land. He had all that he needed, replete with a full colon, loving wife and a beloved border collie that juggled while doing calculus only after ridding the man's little acre of all vermin. He drank to excess only when appropriate, rarely cursed the wind and routinely sated his gently round belly with Alabama's internationally renowned Mexican food. He was not bothered by deep thoughts, his mind flaccidly mundane and frequently interrupted with flashbacks to a cold December Memphis night in 82 and incomprehensible courage against long odds. He was content, perhaps even smug, in his finery.

Then something happened. I heard the tale as a child and my guardians believed the events inappropriate for my young ears. I believe they felt the events inappropriate for anyone but Lucifer himself, but I can't confirm that. I'm not even sure if they actually knew. What I do know is that something happened. An unspeakable, perhaps unknowable, something that left the man a colonless, wifeless, dogless rageful inebriate devoid of human decency.

For years the man debauched the better part of the Deep South, animate and in. Bovine sphincters clinched upon his lustful leer. Feral dogs whimpered fruitless pleas of mercy. He cursed the wind and all others. No one was safe, not even titans of American industry like Scout and Paypal. All considered themselves lucky to escape with but a cursing for he was quick to break out his Preston Brooks caning rod at the slightest offense. He beat a man to death in Dothan, and when the ambulance arrived continued administering blows while the corpse lay pulverized on the stretcher, the medics knowing to stand clear. The deceased’s offense? Stating in public that Mike Price was once head coach for Alabama. He was the most callous, pitiless man to roam the state. By the end, the single good thing that could be said about him is that at least he didn’t graduate from Cornell A&M.

I do believe either the man or Alabama or both would have eventually ceased to be if things continued. But they did not. There was perhaps but a single person ever made that could have brought our man to heel. For years this person traveled about the country restoring faith in America’s locales most plagued by decrepitude. From Cleveland to Western Ontario to Bayou Nova Scotia, this person traveled working miracles for the hoven. Then he came to Alabama. He had heard of our man – as all have. The Choctaw renamed their reservation after him and Gadsden schoolchildren pledge fealty to him in lieu of our flag. The person set about quickly to save our man.

There are many stories of where each eventually encountered the other. Some say an I-hop in Vestavia Hills, others say a houseboat on Lake Lurleen, while still others insist it was Mobile shipyard. Regardless of the location, all seem to agree on the conversation. The person approached our man and was direct as was his way. Listen my son, he told our man. Your path is wrong. Repent. Reconcile with your wife. Find another border collie. I can’t do shit for your colon, but do the other two. Respect the sexual rights of our domesticated animals and wildlife. Do this for yourself. Do this for your fellow man. Do this or I will remove the remainder of your intestinal tract and your still-beating heart in front of your very eyes. Understood?

Our man had spent years defiling nearly all things, brooking no sass and bending to no man. He knew that all beings were inherently weak, their cowardice betrayed by the eyes. But in the person’s vacant, soul-less eyes he saw no fear, only resolve, a remorseless, horrifying resolve. It was concluded in but a moment, our man quickly reckoning. He would do as the person said. And so he has. His soul may be too far gone for redemption entire, but he tries. Occasionally he berates a Cheesecake Factory server and leaves no tip or plagues internet forums with daft punnery, but for every step back he takes two toward salvation.

As for the person, he has redeemed the entire State of Alabama, another pool of decrepitude rescued. Though some of us are unsure about the final quarter of the person’s most recent game, none dare voice criticisms. We are, afterall, fond of our intestines and heart.

Comment

Working...
                                X