No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once there, as much as liberals would like to think they do, they don't always assimilate.
    I'm not sure liberals think they do. I'm certain liberals think it's their choice and if they choose not to then huzzah for them.
    Dan Patrick: What was your reaction to [Urban Meyer being hired]?
    Brady Hoke: You know.....not....good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Buchanan View Post
      Well, that is probably what the trend is. I've not read any scholarly arguments supporting that it is a trend. But the numbers of non-white immigrants past and presently flowing to the US is staggering. It should not surprise anyone that they tend to establish households in enclaves of their same race and culture. Once there, as much as liberals would like to think they do, they don't always assimilate.

Outside the US, France is a perfect example of liberal, open arms immigration policy that has created enclaves of Muslims that have no intention of assimilating France's predominantly Catholic heritage and social culture. They can and have become cauldrons of Islamic extremism and anti-western behaviors.

I can imagine that when Trump speaks of protecting the boarders and he is then labeled as a racist, it is the wish to avoid following France's path to immigration policy that, no matter how you might want to sugar coat it, is dangerous to French identity and security.
      Where are these enclaves present in the current day US?

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleLionsFan View Post
        Not a bad analysis overall. Two comments on this paragraph...

1. The last clause here is one reason why people think Trump is racist. It's because that's racist.

2. That's stupid. It's as if he thinks there are a ton of super skilled white Europeans that are dying to immigrate to the US but just can't get in. There aren't. A switch to skills based immigration (which I am largely fine with) will only change the flavor of the non white population immigrating to the US.
        First off that is an opinion, and drawn from incorrect assumptions. Trump doesnt care about "brown" people immigrating to the US. Merit based is color blind, it only looks at the skills that a person could bring to the table, as well as their ability to assimilate to our American ideal.

So. 1. That is why so many people falsey believe he is a racist.
        2. Again, merit based doesn't care about skin color

Comment

• You might be right, I don't knkw
          You don't seem to know a lot about this topic, including what PDJT has proposed. Perhaps you should do some reading and rejoin us at a later time.

There's no "might" about it.

Comment

• Jeff.. when the irish immigrated, they pooled together.. so did Italians. Makes sense you want to go where people can help you, bridge cultural gaps and adjust as you learn the language. I get it. However, the goal was to become Americans or at least for your kids to become Americans.

The US has historically been a stew. You may add new ingredients that initially stick together, but as it is stirred, they become part stew. The new ingredients do change the stew.. yes. But all ingredients end up changing together. What you can't do is have the peas off to the side and then wonder why they don't fit into the bowl. And you can't build other cups on the bowl and call it a stew.
            Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
              froot.. it was a statement on immigration going forward and what I'd view as an important "slippery slope" to avoid
              From what I see assimilation happens right now.

Comment

• Trump doesnt care about "brown" people immigrating to the US. Merit based is color blind, it only looks at the skills that a person could bring to the table, as well as their ability to assimilate to our American ideal.
                Correct. PDJT touts the "brown" people of Asia as great examples of successful immigrants.

Comment

• Originally posted by iam416 View Post
                  Correct. PDJT touts the "brown" people of Asia as great examples of successful immigrants.
                  I, and i would imagine he, would rather have a skilled S Korean rather than an unskilled Russian for example. Get passed skilled and unskilled, a S Korean would assimilate better than a Russian.

Comment

• Originally posted by froot loops View Post
                    From what I see assimilation happens right now.

It has... I also see voices on the left using phrases or discussing the topic that leads me to believe the concept of assimilation is racist or nationalist or just bad in general. I don't think that is a slope we want to take. JMO
                    Last edited by entropy; February 1, 2018, 01:16 PM.
                    Grammar... The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

Comment

• I, and i would imagine he, would rather have a skilled S Korean rather than an unskilled Russian for example. Get passed skilled and unskilled, a S Korean would assimilate better than a Russian.
                      Indubitably, but you're not following the narrative, dude.

Comment

You don't seem to know a lot about this topic, including what PDJT has proposed. Perhaps you should do some reading and rejoin us at a later time.

There's no "might" about it.
                        The thing nobody will know until the election is held. As an above it, nuanced objective Con, you know this.

The immigration proposal is light on details, especially in regards to what they do with the existing sponsored immigrants on the waiting list which is 4 million long.

Comment

I'm not sure liberals think they do. I'm certain liberals think it's their choice and if they choose not to then huzzah for them.
                          Where in Ohio do you see this?

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
                            Jeff.. when the irish immigrated, they pooled together.. so did Italians. Makes sense you want to go where people can help you, bridge cultural gaps and adjust as you learn the language. I get it. However, the goal was to become Americans or at least for your kids to become Americans.

The US has historically been a stew. You may add new ingredients that initially stick together, but as it is stirred, they become part stew. The new ingredients do change the stew.. yes. But all ingredients end up changing together. What you can't do is have the peas off to the side and then wonder why they don't fit into the bowl. And you can't build other cups on the bowl and call it a stew.
                            Agree, but it doesn't happen instantly. We should not confuse a realtime snapshot of a ongoing, multi-generational process as the end result. I believe, in part, that impacts the discussion.

Comment

• The immigration proposal is light on details, especially in regards to what they do with the existing sponsored immigrants on the waiting list which is 4 million long
                              PDJT's plan specifically says they stay on the waiting list and are processed as before. As I posted. Duh.

The immigration proposal is "light in details" if you haven't a clue what's in it -- which it's plain, you don't. But, if it came from PDJT no need to read it -- just #ProgUp.

Comment

• I'm going by the house and Senate bills which eliminate the 4 million on the current waiting list according to Cato. They have to pass the bills. Yeah they can petition, but what is the waiting time? That's a pretty big detail that is very light on substance
                                Last edited by froot loops; February 1, 2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X