No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous And Off Topic Subjects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably. Actually, if meeting in person allows me the exempt-from-civility approach reserved for Stan, then I'm all for it. Liney, let's lunch.

Comment

• I'll set aside a exempt-from-civility-approach just for you, Hack.

Lunch? If you're buying, I choose Applebees.

If I'm buying, its Mickey's ...
      Last edited by lineygoblue; August 22, 2013, 01:00 PM.
      "What you're doing, speaks so loudly, that I can't hear what you are saying"

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
        I'd like to echo Jon's eloquent post.

A good case in point is Stan White. Before I met the man, I didn't know if I ever wanted to see his face.

When I finally met him at one of Doug's tailgate gatherings, I realized just the opposite about him. He's a fine man, and the time we spent together getting to know each other was probably one of my most enjoyable tailgate meetings ever.

I believe I would have similar results with each and every one of you.

... well, except maybe talent ... :-)
        ...and that damn wizard...
        Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Originally posted by THE_WIZARD_ View Post
          ...and that fuckin wizard...
          FIFY.

Comment

• Good point.
            Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• Wiz .. All I'd have to do with you is bring you my copy of Tractors Monthly, and you'd be fine ... :-)

Comment

• I love you man.
                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

• ESPN drops out of project with PBS' 'Frontlne" after the NFL applies pressure. They had been producing a documentary about NFL head injuries. The NFL also refused to allow its executives to be interviewed for the documentary

ESPN had been working with PBS on a film about head injuries in the National Football League, whose games are shown on the sports network and represent a cherished source of revenue.

Comment

• I hate this, but I am getting more and more uncomfortable with football. They've gotta find a way to keep the players safe and the game good, but that's going to be very hard.

Comment

• I still think there's a technological way to do it. It may involve bigger helmets with a soft layer to disperse energy
                      Benny Blades~"If you break down this team man for man, we have talent to compare with any team."

Comment

• I fear we are going to see a girly-fied style of american football going forward, if they don't do something about concussions.

Tony may have hit on something. Maybe some new style of head gear that absorbs shock better and protects the head better, is going to be the answer.

Comment

• The NFL already is that. The last games of it I watched were the two most recent SBs. In the as the Pats/Saints game, you knew that if it came out of Brady's hand it was going to be a completion. Just too much time at the LOS. No plays being made at the LOS. All in the secondary. The game is out of balance with the new rules and guys are STILL going down. What the Skins did with RGIII lastyear, with his own complicity it appears, bothers me too. These are people. With rights. The culture of the sport is sick and maybe beyond repair. We outta be beyond the lions/Christians mentality (although in our specific case, if any Christians could knock some sense into some particular Lions...)

IMO the only reason to watch the NFL right now is to see what Harbaugh does. I still love the chess match and I love the way he plays it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghengis Jon View Post
                            Ya know what guys? I think that those of you who have never met before should meet up for a game in A2. Perceived belligerence, arrogance and pompousness all seems to vanish once a face to face meeting occurs. The internet brings out the worst in people and emboldens the immature by providing a level of 'protection' through it's faceless interaction. It is an in-person interaction that kills all the nastiness that the internet inflames. I happen to be a very liberal libertarian (seeming contradiction) and there are some very stout authoritarian conservatives that post here. We've all been to Doug's tailgate many times over the years, and that face-to-face has forged some pretty strong friendships. Among those who I have diametrically opposed political/religious/moral views, there's not one I wouldn't go out of my way for. People I once viewed as a complete jackass, I now wouldn't think twice about rendering assistance (financial or otherwise) without any expectation of repayment in like. Such is the power of in person interaction.

I sincerely wish that those of you/us that have not met, that we do so. If nothing else to gain a perspective of the others' personality. Through the written word, one cannot really detect (100% of the time) what is sarcasm, what is gentle prodding, and what is heartfelt belief. Getting to know someone clears all that up.

Across the written word here on the internet, I can come across like a acerbic, know-it-all, asinine blowhard - but those here who have known me for years will attest I'm really not much more than an acerbic, know-it-all, asinine blowhard. :^)
                            Jon's right [especially his last sentence ;-) ].

Many of us have met each other, some just once, others over-and-over again, and most often while tailgating at that grassy little lot on Scio Church Road. You might say church attendance there has been enlightening...

I think that tradition must have started well over a dozen seasons ago, even well before those huge feasts (courtesy of the always-welcoming-to-all Doug Dillon) several of us had gotten together on more than a few occasions for pre- and post-game food and drink. Doug and his large group of friends and family probably joined us about a decade ago, which really turned it into the event it now is, week-in and week-out over the season.

Though I started parking @ the Scio Church Rd lot some 20+ years ago, it's no longer my regular spot ---We usually use Ann Arbor Golf and Outing because frankly, space for a big gathering (other that corner of the lot reserved by the owners for Doug and his group) at Scio Church is hard to get. Besides, we've added gear over the years, including a tent canopy, an item banned years ago by the owners of the Scio Church Road lot so that they could fit more cars there :-( . Even then, I still make it a point to park at least once every year ot two there and, even when I don't park there, to stop by once or twice a season to meet up with the gang. I'm looking forward to being there in just two weeks for the ND Game tailgate, the clincher for that plan is that Clashmore Mike will be there and that he's already promised that we could all migrate over to his folks house for the tailgate party in case of thunderstorms (as they only live a couple blocks away). What a guy!!! ;-)

I've found (as Jon wrote) that face-to-face interaction is truly the best way to wash away any belligerence and hostility that may have built up between any of us that otherwise interact here otherwise exclusively behind a keyboard. Some who I've met there, such as Liney, have been pretty much exactly as I expected once I met them, while others (Stan being the best example) have shown a side in person that you never would have guessed based on the tone of some of their postings. Others, such as the no-longer-active-here Jamie H, never showed up for whatever their own personal reasons might have been---too bad, in the case of numerous others that haven't been able to attend.

Besides Jon, Liney, Doug and Stan, I bet I've had the pleasure of meeting at least a couple dozen others from various incarnations of this forum. Gotten to know Jeff and his son Sean and their respective families, George, Drok, Doc Hodgman, and several other still-active members, and Regalbuck, Paul S, Cameron, 9Franklin and a few others who no longer post here. Still others I've met once or twice are Entropy, Whitley, Dennis T, Mike, and Hannibal, and I'm sure I'm missing a few more that escape my memory right now.

Those who haven't joined us at a tailgate gathering are certainly invited. If you can't find Scio Church, google it. Don't be shy! Even the enemy (Talent and DSL) and rivals (Hoss and Wiz) are invited.

One more thing---all of you are welcome to stop anytime over at my tailgate spot at the golf course, too---just email me and I'll guide you over.

Comment

• My time in A2's up; that invite's a season too late for me personally. But have a great time at it, and I totally agree based on my own experiences. One of you should impersonate me, and I will expect to get at least some of the benefits of In-Person Effect.

Comment

• Originally posted by lineygoblue View Post
                                I fear we are going to see a girly-fied style of american football going forward, if they don't do something about concussions.

Tony may have hit on something. Maybe some new style of head gear that absorbs shock better and protects the head better, is going to be the answer.
                                That technology is already here. Very expensive though. You will see it in the NFL on a widespread basis soon. I believe it is some kind of liner inside the helmet. In fact I believe it's being developed by Purdue University...
                                Shut the fuck up Donny!

Comment

Working...
                                X